IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

250 vs. 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 07:18 AM
is_elf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have a 250 and not only on the road do I feel that way but here in CL I feel that way a lot as well.
Old 05-27-07, 07:46 AM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

No need to feel sorry cause you got a IS250. Still its a Lexus. Dont let Other people get you down cause at the end of the day you are the one Paying it and not the other people but when the other people start paying it for you then you can take their opinion into consideration.
"Dont Worry,Be Happy! "
Old 05-27-07, 11:16 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Yup, enjoy your car. Many are not so fortunate to be driving a Lexus at all. Both the 250 and 350 owners and all very lucky.
Old 05-27-07, 12:31 PM
Tungsten25
Driver School Candidate

Default Be Happy With What you Bought

I will say it again, just like in another post that I purchased the 250 over the 350 for safety reasons. I only drive it maybe twice a week and my fiance drives it the other time. She is not used to that much rear wheel power, so the car is great for her to learn so we can get more power the next car. I would rather have all the technology and a fully loaded interior than the extra 100 horse. That way I don't have to worry about getting a call from her that she spun the car out and got hurt. Her safety is far more important to me than the power. I have a high powered 300ZX in the garage if I ever need to go out and waste gas and let the world know I have a fast car with a loud exhaust. The Lexus gives us the power we need to get to and from work and get us there in cushy style. I do admit it is a bit quiet, but a quick exhaust change can solve that. The best part about not wasting the extra almost 4500 our dealer wanted on a similar set up 350 was the extra money went towards a Rolex Submariner, which gives me alot more pleasure than the car. At least the watch goes with me almost daily. I guarantee more people have noticed my Rolex over my Lexus. In the end to each his own. I just like to have many different kinds of nice things and not just a car. I have met too many people that spend way more on their car to impress and then end up shopping at Walmart for clothes and eating Romen noodles.
Old 05-27-07, 03:47 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

For you 350 drivers who look down on 250 drivers;

There are always better car out there, unless if you have M3 when you are talking about 4 seater GT/sport coupe/sedan. A garage queen '05 M3 can be had for new 350 price or less if you can haggle right and it will spank 350's *** every which way you can imagine. And that's a 6 years+ old design.
Old 05-27-07, 07:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff

There are always better car out there, unless if you have M3 when you are talking about 4 seater GT/sport coupe/sedan. A garage queen '05 M3 can be had for new 350 price or less if you can haggle right and it will spank 350's *** every which way you can imagine. And that's a 6 years+ old design.
M3...blah blah blah... theres ALWAYS a better car, F430/Saleen S7...blah blah blah... my grandma in carrera GT wouldnt be able to smoke me, alot of what a car can do depends on the skill/madness of the driver dont forget that.
Old 05-27-07, 07:13 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Truth be told, I don't think anyone with a 350 looks down on someone with a 250. I guess there are only so many topics that one can start and there will always be someone to "harass" someone else in the "forum".

There are millions of people that would do anything to have your 250, not to mention that that they would like to have clean running water and a sewer system before that.

I would love to have your IS250!

You drive a Lexus! Does anyone else's opinion really matter? That's what I thought! You know the ladies don't care if it's an IS150 or an IS950, all that matters is the fact that they think you're hot and you drive a Lexus!!! Capiche!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 05-27-07, 07:15 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

To be honest, looking back, I wish I got a 250. I don't drive my car that much, and on top of that, gas is cheaper on the 250, and it's cheaper in general. It's the same car, and said that I don't drive my car much, I don't step on it as much as I like either.

I love how the 2IS looks though, that, and the fact that it's a Toyota, made me choose it over the 335i.
Old 05-27-07, 07:26 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by cspec
To be honest, looking back, I wish I got a 250. I don't drive my car that much, and on top of that, gas is cheaper on the 250, and it's cheaper in general. It's the same car, and said that I don't drive my car much, I don't step on it as much as I like either.

I love how the 2IS looks though, that, and the fact that it's a Toyota, made me choose it over the 335i.
I agree completely! Your post is well stated. I don't know why I spent the extra $$$$ over the 250 myself. Shoot, my wife drives the car.

You know, the 250 has more get up and go than what is led to believe, at least it feels that way to me.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 05-27-07, 07:35 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
M3...blah blah blah... theres ALWAYS a better car, F430/Saleen S7...blah blah blah... my grandma in carrera GT wouldnt be able to smoke me, alot of what a car can do depends on the skill/madness of the driver dont forget that.
F430/S7/GT3 are not in the same class. Those are basically purpose built race cars that are barely street legal. IS350/M3/S4 etc are 4 seater sports/GT coupe/sedan. Not to mention the $$ differences.

And your grandma should be able to smoke you in GT3 if you are driving IS350 unless she is blind and/or can't drive manual. IS350 weighs 500lbs more than GT3 and GT3 will pushes out 100+ HP than IS350. Whether it's drag strip, a road course, or even at street light, that kind of gap is just not made up by your skill even if you are Michael Andretii.
Old 05-27-07, 08:34 PM
burnabykid
Pole Position

Default no regrets

I'm not sure if this has been said earlier, but i can see this thread repeating itself when the IS-F comes out...'do IS-F owners look down on the others...'. I for one am glad i got my IS250 simply because i really wanted MT, and still wont trade up for a 350 just for the extra power. i mostly cruise anyways, avoiding potholes and bad drivers
Old 05-27-07, 08:40 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

F430/S7/GT3 are not in the same class. Those are basically purpose built race cars that are barely street legal. IS350/M3/S4 etc are 4 seater sports/GT coupe/sedan. Not to mention the $$....
YES... very good, so now why do you bring up m3 when a is250 is in a different class than a 350?

Still... you fail to take driver skill into account, grandma wouldnt have the ballz to push ANY car very hard and follow me on a twisty road, lotta ppl dont have the skill/nerve no matter what the car can do and take off the traction control, BOOM instant telephone pole wrap damage. You seem to assume that most ppl know how rwd cars operate, that is not the case with the 2fast2stupid gen who grew up driving mommies accord/camry.
Old 05-27-07, 08:47 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neova
why pretend to be something that isn't?

seems like something that honda guys would do on their non-vtec civcs and put vtec on it...

please don't do that.. If you want to be discreet just remove the IS250 all together.
Exactly, my saleslady knew I had my eye on a 350 when I was buying a 250 so she offered to change the 2 to a 3 and I almost walked out the door and cancelled the deal. If you are too embarrased to own a 250 than you got the wrong car.

It reminds me of the time I was riding with my bro in his Vette and we pulled up to this guy in a 3 series. He had chrome rims as well as an M3 and Dinan emblem on the back. I took one look at the body and the exhaust and I knew it wasn't an M3 (prolly a 325i). Of course he had his windows down and he was bumpin, thought he was hot *****. My bro and I looked at each other and laughed. He started revin his engine at us at the light and as soon as it turned green he took off, my bro gave him a car length and a half before stomping on it... lets just say he was smelling our exhaust the rest of the way.
Old 05-27-07, 09:13 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
YES... very good, so now why do you bring up m3 when a is250 is in a different class than a 350?
I brought M3 b/c it's the same type of car that cost roughly about the same while kicking 350's *** in terms of performance, unlike GT3/F430 etc. And despite what you would like to think, 250 and 350 are NOT in a different class. IS250, IS350, 3series, M3, A4, S4, TL, and whatever MB puts out these days etc are in the same league competing for same group of people who are looking to buy the kind of cars. If you are considering or bought one of those cars, then you surely should've compared/thought about other cars mentioned. That makes it same "class". And perhaps your grandma can't drive stick. I don't know your grandma. When I compare cars' performance I think we should compare cars with other factorer being somewhat equal if not exactly same. So when I say M3 kicks IS350's *** I mean that M3 will kick IS350's *** if we were to put two comparable drivers or have same drive that cars back to back in same conditions and compare the results. Not your blind grandma or my german shepherd in the driver's seat in GT3 and you in your IS350.

My main point was you shouldn't be putting down other people for driving what you consider worse car than IS350 when IS350 is not exactly class leading - this is where M3 comes in - anything except perhaps lack of outside noise. Kind of like If you live in a glass house don't throw rocks around.
Old 05-27-07, 11:40 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

My main point was you shouldn't be putting down other people for driving what you consider worse car than IS350
ROFL, I've never put anyone down who owns a is250 or any other mdl, i just flame the idiots who dont know crap... like you. Most of the posts here deal with the power of the 250 vs 350. The engines are totally different, thus in a different class when it comes to power...

AND since when is a 07 M3 price similar to a 07 is350??? but you said... a 'garage queen', like you can find one on just about on every street eh? Still I would buy the toyota over a bmw reguardless of mdl. Where does it say in any lexus brochure/web site that the is350 is ment to compete with the m3 anyway, link please?

Quick Reply: 250 vs. 350