Middle East 2IS OEM air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 02:56 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Middle East 2IS OEM air filter replacement

Hi there,

I contacted K&N and asked them for the dimentions of the IS350 OEM direct replacement air filter and I explained that in the middle east we have a different engine size ... etc.

Here was their reply:

"Thank you for your interest in K&N products. A K&N lifetime air filter is manufactured differently than a standard disposable air filter. A K&N replacement filter is not simply a copy of your OEM filter; it is a product that has been designed specifically for your vehicle. Because of the specific design of a K&N replacement filter, each application is listed by the year, make, model, and engine size of the vehicle for which it has been tested to fit. You may use our application guide at http://www.knfilters.com to find the right filter for your vehicle. If no filter is listed for your vehicle, K&N does not yet manufacture a filter to fit that application.

K&N does not recommend cross-referencing your OEM filter number to find a replacement for your vehicle. Due to the specific design of K&N lifetime air filters, some applications may share the same physical dimensions, but have different sealing edges. Using the wrong filter could result in improper sealing, leading to dirt bypass and possible engine damage.

For example, a common ACDelco filter is the A917C, which fits many popular Camaro and Corvette applications, over many model years. If you were to attempt to cross-reference the A917C, you would find there are (3) different K&N replacement filters available that match the dimensions of the A917C. The cross-reference search does not determine sealing edge characteristics; it matches by dimensions only! Each K&N filter listed in the search results has a different sealing edge, designed specifically for the airbox of the intended vehicle application.

If you have any questions about selecting the correct replacement filter for your vehicle, please contact a Customer Support representative at 1(800)858-3333."

I am still not convinced though... but I am after thier lifetime warranty so I'll keep trying...
Old 04-21-07, 03:12 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Middle East 2IS is IS300 (3.0L) for those who didn't know.

I have just replied to K&N with the following:

"Thank you for your replay,
your emails does clears things out but here are my findings:
  • USA Lexus IS350 (3.5L) and IS250 (2.5L) both use K&N part number 33-2345.
  • Middle East Lexus IS300 (3.0L) has an engine size that lies right in between the US versions.
  • Middle East IS300 is manufactured in Japan just like other IS's.
Therefore, it is safe to say that the sealing edges should be the same given that the dimensions match, because no manufacturer would benefit from making such a small change that would require manufacturing different parts.

Another thing that I will do ASAP that would assist in verifying this, I will contact my Lexus dealer and ask for the OEM Air Filter part number if this number matches the OEM Air Filter for the IS350 and IS250 then clearly both filters should have identical characteristics.

As I said, if K&N (33-2345) is good enough for IS350 & IS250 then cross-referencing is all what I need please.

Thank you for your assistance and cooperation"

Can anyone kindly give me the 2IS OEM Air Filter part number? or direct me to a website that has it?

thanx
Old 04-21-07, 05:29 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to buy chemicals to wash the filter instead of replacing it? It's like re-using a dust mask. yuck!
Old 04-21-07, 06:04 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Living in Saudi I think there is just too much sand for a K&N. Even the guys that race the baja races use a prefillter wrap. Just from watching the Bahrain F1 race I would stick with the stock Toyota filter. The small gains in performance, if any, just aren't worth it
Old 04-22-07, 12:19 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

yea I guess you guys are right... but it's only that sandy on highways... once you are downtown the sand storm levels are almost non-existing... think of as Texas or something

Besides there is still the thin white filter just before the replacable one... I remember a thread recently that talked about removing it for extra power. If I keep that one on, then it should be ok IMO.
Old 04-22-07, 12:28 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Why would you want to buy chemicals to wash the filter instead of replacing it? It's like re-using a dust mask. yuck!
For the same reason you use "chemicals" to wash your clothes instead of replacing them. The K&N filters are reuseable. And to the OP, I would DEFINITELY stick with the OEM Toyota filter in those extreme conditions.

Javier
Old 04-22-07, 01:03 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Again, thank you all, I do agree with you...

But here is why I am considering the OEM direct replacement K&N filters:
  1. It doesn't void the warranty
  2. Switching between filters is only a matter or seconds
  3. There is a dense pre-filter that should perform decently in filtering out dust & sand
So if I am about to leave town I'll put the OEM filter on, otherwise I'll keep the K&N on.

Here is K&Ns reply:
"Each stock replacement air filter is designed for a specific application. If K&N does not have an air filter listed we do NOT recommend searching for an air filter to meet your vehicles needs. I am sorry to say that K&N does not have an air filter for your application, at this time. Have a great day."

I still would like to know my options and I find K&N's reply obviously defensive rather than cooperative. Could someone kindly direct me to a site that has the OEM filter number for the ISX50? I would like to match it with the 2IS300 OEM filter number. If they match then, they both have the same characteristics and the K&N should be suitable.

Thank you
Old 04-22-07, 01:35 AM
LexFather

Its not a IS but here is my write-up and detailed comparison pics of the stock vs K&N filter
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271473

Old 04-22-07, 01:48 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
Again, thank you all, I do agree with you...

But here is why I am considering the OEM direct replacement K&N filters:
  1. It doesn't void the warranty
  2. Switching between filters is only a matter or seconds
  3. There is a dense pre-filter that should perform decently in filtering out dust & sand
This is not designed to be a filter - it's a cloth intended to absorb hydrocarbon emissions that accumulate inside the intake when the engine is shut off, so you might want to keep that in mind.
Originally Posted by kattanh3
Could someone kindly direct me to a site that has the OEM filter number for the ISX50? I would like to match it with the 2IS300 OEM filter number. If they match then, they both have the same characteristics and the K&N should be suitable.

Thank you
The part number you're looking for is 17801-31110.

Javier
Old 04-22-07, 02:16 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
This is not designed to be a filter - it's a cloth intended to absorb hydrocarbon emissions that accumulate inside the intake when the engine is shut off, so you might want to keep that in mind.The part number you're looking for is 17801-31110.

Javier
Thanks a million for the part number. And yes it's true that the cloth is not a filter but since the dealer says the K&N doesn't void the warranty then I guess they know better.
Old 04-22-07, 05:14 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

kattanh3/
i'm in riyadh .. which as you know sandier than jeddah .

and i know guys with +'04 Chevrolet's caprices SS'S and lumina's with the 5,7L LS1 (i think you know the car) that have put the K&N filters and all is good. so don't worry about that.

and goodluck in finding what u want.
Old 04-22-07, 07:50 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks AC, I just came back from the dealer, I checked the part number and they matched the US one... so I ordered my K&N airfilter I double checked and the dealer had no problem with the direct replacement one... so the warranty will stay valid.