IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Go to USC, sell my is350 or go to UCLA, get an IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 07:18 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first want to say this thread is ridiculous. Its obvious that this person has the wrong priorities if he's more worried about his car than his education. Second, to all the people who crap on USC and say its a lesser school, second choice, full of rich brats, etc. Thats all crap. There are PLENTY of rich spoiled dumb kids that go to ucla.

Every college has "priviliged" kids that come from rich families and dont have to pay for anything. Most people hate on USC because its a private school and they assume that people who go there are rich and spoiled. The bottom line is that the best schools have the most resources available for their students, USC and ucla both have negatives and postivies regarding their education programs. But it really comes down to how each student takes advantage of these resources.

If you are an idiot, its not going to matter if you go to USC or ucla, youll probably always be an idiot. If you were really smart, you would focus on doing well in school and get a real job so that you can buy any car that you want and not have to worry about what mommy and daddy can afford to buy.
Old 04-22-07, 07:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have one question. It is really true UCLA is only $6-$7K a year for tuition? Or is that after a lot of financial aid? Crap, my sons preschool is $7K a year and this is about average. I thought a school like UCLA would be more like $30K or more a year.
Old 04-22-07, 08:17 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Come on, the guy is asking on an internet forum one of the silliest questions.

Give him the best advice you can give him!

I'd rather a member of our society with those kind of brains stick to just expensive cars so I can get some studying done while in college.
Old 04-22-07, 09:31 PM
okiaristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juncho
Ron, please understand (and I think you do) that college is an *investment* for the future. A car is just a depreciating expense (and most will agree that a Lexus is a luxary item vs a more economical vehicle). Aside from the education aspect of college, it will also be a huge growing opportunity for you to grow personally (living away from home, multitasking, new friends/network, partying! etc).

what he said also.
Old 04-22-07, 09:36 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh... I pick the better one with the major you are in, doesn't matter about how much it cost...
Old 04-22-07, 09:55 PM
jdoolitt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I just have one question. It is really true UCLA is only $6-$7K a year for tuition? Or is that after a lot of financial aid? Crap, my sons preschool is $7K a year and this is about average. I thought a school like UCLA would be more like $30K or more a year.

UC School fees are closer to $10K. Include food, housing, books and fees - and the UCs say that you are looking at closer to $22K (undergraduate school). We spend just about that for our daughter to go to UCSB...
Old 04-22-07, 10:01 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

It's that cheap when you're a CA resident.

If not, UC's can take about 40 grand a year out of your pocket.
Old 04-22-07, 10:12 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

LA = bound to get dented hit. i advise just getting a beater until you graduate. I would choose USC and get a cheap car thats 10-20k. there's no point in getting a fast car if you're gonna commute in LA because you won't be able to get to any sporty performance experience due to congested traffic. get a smooth luxury cruiser if i were you like a used GS.
Old 04-22-07, 11:03 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

UCLA right now is at about 2300 per quarter. At three quarters, you're looking at 6.7-7K a year. This is for tuition only. There are other costs if you need to add health insurance (I think it's about $200 a quarter). But that's pretty much it. However, the UC's are not very easy to get financial aid (via Cal Grants or Reagent Scholar). But if you qualify, then it would be even cheaper. Four years ago, tuition at UCLA was about 3.5K a year. In just four years, it's basically doubled. In about 10-20 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA tuition to be around 10-15K.

While UCLA has cheap tuition, it's cost of living is ridiculous for the Westwood area. Dorms are 9K-13K a year (and you only live there for about 8 months but it includes meals). 2 Bedrooms/2 Baths are about 2700 and 3 bedroom/3baths are about 4000.
Old 04-22-07, 11:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is all still pretty good for a high end school like UCLA. My wifes' parents had to take out a second mortgage to send her sister to USC (She graduated from there last year) and that was with the additional $12K financial aid USC gave. I hate to see what collage costs when my son is ready in 15 years
Old 04-22-07, 11:16 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

california people hehe jK! but uhm... why dont u just decide what school you WANNA go to? because in the end, it's not where you came from, its what u can do with the education that u recieve. If u work hard enough then seriously it doesnt matter where u go. And seriously, ur car choices are crazy. why not just have one car and then live with that? doh.
Old 04-22-07, 11:17 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

That is all still pretty good for a high end school like UCLA. My wifes' parents had to take out a second mortgage to send her sister to USC (She graduated from there last year) and that was with the additional $12K financial aid USC gave. I hate to see what collage costs when my son is ready in 15 years
Whoops. I noticed you're out of state. Out of state residents pay around 20K for tuition...which makes it really close to USC's tuition. But you pay CA's in-state tuition if you've lived in CA for more than three years.
Old 04-22-07, 11:50 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

pesky little bruins.

if...

all you want is a public education, go to UCLA.
you enjoy being identified by your SSN rather than your name, go to UCLA.
you want to blend in w/ the masses, go to UCLA.
"getting the most for the least" is your credo, go to UCLA.
you can't afford a private education, go to UCLA.
you don't want to be an undergrad business major, go to UCLA.
you don't want a real accounting degree, go to UCLA.
you're not a TV/cinema major, go to UCLA.
you're an engineering major, go to UCLA.
you're a left wing liberal, go to UCLA.
you're a firm supporter of affirmative action, go to UCLA. (you'll probably get in too.)
you're scared of the ghetto, go to UCLA.
you think alumni networks are overrated, go to UCLA.
you think jerry buss, george lucas, neil armstrong, will farrell, robert zemekis, john singleton, ron howard, norman schwarzkopf, etc... are all overrated, go to UCLA.
all you're going to do is take classes, get your degree, become a faceless member of the working class, work at a job for the next 30-40 years and retire on social security, go to UCLA.

yes, USC is considerably more expensive than UCLA, but i don't see any need to sell your is350 to afford it. after all, selling your is350 will only pay for a year's worth of tuition...
Old 04-23-07, 12:06 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry guys if i come off as ridiculous, or a joke. when i meant "get an IS-F" that was definitely after my undergrad classes were done at ucla. the thing is i really want to go to USC, but we would take a real hit on tuition and i would probably end up needing to get rid of my car. and to the person who asked if my parents are drug dealers--no. we pay mortgages on multiple propterties. we dont live paycheck to paycheck, but 45k a year would put a dent in their pocket for sure. and all you guys talking about how i am dumb and i shouldnt be living off of my parents, i feel bad for you. we're all in this world for one reason and want to make the best of it. my parents work hard for a better life for themselves and also me. they won't always have my back--and someday ill enter reality, and work hard for my family also. but seriously, i am just asking if a private university is worth the car downgrade. id probably end up with ISF either route i choose. but i just was unsure if it was worth getting rid of my car just to go to a certain school.
Old 04-23-07, 12:10 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I think you should rather ask your personal friends and talk with your parents. Not a online car forum.

Quick Reply: Go to USC, sell my is350 or go to UCLA, get an IS-F