IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Go to USC, sell my is350 or go to UCLA, get an IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 12:57 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What will you drive if you sell your IS350? BMW?
Old 04-24-07, 01:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KKelly
He certainly fits the stereotype of a USC student already.
USC = University of Spoiled Children.

UCLA owns YO!

I am all for UCs.

just kidding. just wanted to say hi before it gets close.
Old 04-24-07, 01:06 PM
MAH4546
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socalJD
I smell some BS here. Are you talking about South Carolina ? No way a 3.4 will get you in to USC (Southern California) today unless you're a 5 star jock. To the OP, you need to start hitting the books son, unless your family has some serious connections at 'SC. I graduated over 20 years ago, and I'd have a helluva time getting in today, let alone being able to afford it. Ucla was never an option, they still don't have an undergrad business or accounting program, and I couldn't see the wisdom of an econ or math degree after 4 years. Pepperdine on the other hand, was a very tempting option . . .
Um...yes. Southern California. I know what I'm talking about. I had a 3.4. I got in. No connections to USC whatsoever. I also got an $18,000 annual scholarship. At the same time, I had high LSAT scores and tons of AP credits. It was also four years ago so things might be different now. People put way too much emphasis on just the GPA. There are so many more factors (i.e. my school did not weigh GPAs for honors/AP). But I'll probably be there again next year for grad school, and I also got in, again, with a 3.4 undergrad GPA.
Old 04-24-07, 01:18 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Part of the reason the Asian parents give their kids nice cars is...
1) They are scared that when they are older, their kids wont take care of them and put them away in retirement homes like non- Asian kids.
OR
2) Money is another way of showing their love.

Of course this is my own opinion, but that's how my Asian parents came about in approaching me when they wanted to get me nice things. I told them don't worry, they'll live with me... I like the extended family thing. And besides, I'd rather not OWE them anything and buy my own crap.

Nothing is less cool than showing off your nice ride to the ladies, and telling them, "Ya, my mom and dad got it for me, want to come to my parent's house and play the Wii?"

I'd say if you can, go to the school that you think will give you the best education, who cares what other people will say. Besides, doesn't seem like your parents are hurting for cash like you said..., so might as well make them pay for you to go to a more expensive school.
Old 04-24-07, 01:29 PM
Rasengan
Rookie

i don't know where you guys got your Asian parents from...i HAD to get good grades and not do drugs (at least hide it real well) otherwise my Chinese mom would whip me with the featherless end of the bamboo feather duster (or slipper, whichever was closer)
Old 04-24-07, 01:32 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Btw, 3.4 "can" get you into USC... you just need money to push you through. I've had people when I was in HS that got into USC with 3.0 GPAs, barely speak English, and made it in. Of course their parents were wealthy, but that is why there's always this trashtalking of people "buying" their way into Private schools such as USC.

Not sure how picky they are now with admissions, but back in 1995, it wasn't that hard to get in USC.

Btw Ron, Why do you want to go to USC anyhows?
Old 04-24-07, 01:36 PM
wushuboy
Driver

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Um...yes. Southern California. I know what I'm talking about. I had a 3.4. I got in. No connections to USC whatsoever. I also got an $18,000 annual scholarship. At the same time, I had high LSAT scores and tons of AP credits. It was also four years ago so things might be different now. People put way too much emphasis on just the GPA. There are so many more factors (i.e. my school did not weigh GPAs for honors/AP). But I'll probably be there again next year for grad school, and I also got in, again, with a 3.4 undergrad GPA.
Why would you take the LSAT going in as an undergrad? hmmmm.
Old 04-24-07, 01:42 PM
wushuboy
Driver

[QUOTE=OutlawsX;2574341]Part of the reason the Asian parents give their kids nice cars is...
1) They are scared that when they are older, their kids wont take care of them and put them away in retirement homes like non- Asian kids.
OR
2) Money is another way of showing their love.

QUOTE]

Nice way to stereotype Asian parents.. This is not even an issue of having asian parents or not. bottom line is he's just spoiled and doesnt do anything to show his appreciation. He doesnt do drugs? whoopdie do. That is not even justification for getting 2.. count em 2 40k+ cars.
Old 04-24-07, 01:58 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Not the kid's fault at all. I sure as ** would turn down a 335i or IS350 when I was 16. I know to each his own but this is a pet peeve of mine. Just because you can buy your kid such a car doesn't mean you do it. Then again, I would rather have my own kids competing against them in the work world then a bunch of smart, self-made, non-spoiled kids. Read some article recently about how new-grads in the work force are really bad at dealing with criticism and adversity because their parents always told them everything was "ok." If a teacher or coach is a problem today the parents go and complain instead of telling their kid that they will have bosses that suck too, deal with it.
Old 04-24-07, 02:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.