IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Used Car Tax

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 12:11 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Car Tax

I'm about to pull the trigger on an IS... and am debating used or new.

Anyone know how taxes work when purchasing a used car out of state? I live in Texas. I know that if I were to buy a NEW car in, say, California, but I title the car with Texas plates, I'd pay the Texas tax rate. However, what happens if I purchase a used car from an individual in California
and "transfer" over to me here in Texas. What tax rate do I pay - if any taxes at all??
Old 04-23-07, 05:28 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Doesn't matter how you do it, when you register it in Texas they will want proof that you paid CA tax on it or you will be handed a bill for Texas taxes.
Old 05-22-07, 08:33 PM
1022it
Pole Position

if you buy private party, you will not have to pay sales tax. the original buyer took the plunge on that one for you. the hitch is that you have to go through with getting the original title from the previous owner's finance company, then register the title/car in your state.

it took my bank (they did all of this for me, including registration) about 2 months to get it done. i had a 90 day permit during the title transfer process, so it was actually very painless.

if you buy from a dealer, i believe you will have to pay the sales tax within the actual state the dealer is selling the car from. i could be wrong though.

good luck!
Old 05-22-07, 08:44 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In the past people would buy a car with a very low value sales receipt so they would pay a lower sales tax when they registered the car. TX closed that loophole recently. They have tables of MINIMUM sale values so if that value is higher than what your receipt says you pay the higher tax. This is to close that loophole people were using.
Old 05-22-07, 09:16 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

there are other factors so that people don't cheat around paying taxes. The vehicle has to have X number of miles on it to avoid paying the taxes. Last I thought it was 4K-6K miles.
Old 05-23-07, 05:09 AM
acbrisker
Driver

The one thing that I didn't realize in Maryland ... not sure if it's applicable elsewhere or not ... when I bought a used Pathfinder, I had to pay taxes on the blue book value of the car, not what I paid. That kinda sucked ...
Old 05-23-07, 05:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every state is different so you have to check with your own state tax laws. Here in Hawaii we don't have to pay tax for used cars bought out of state. There is a catch though. We do pay a "Use" tax on used cars only if you bought it from a dealer. In that case, if you bought it from California, the dealer supposed to have charged you California tax. For us, since our General Excise tax is only 4.167%, we can file for a refund of the difference since we over paid. If the tax is less, we pay the difference.

If we buy from a private party we pay ZERO tax The reason why is there is an exemption for causual sales. A private party sale fall under that category. So as you can see from the reposnses here, every state is a little different. I bought my NSX from a private party in California and my previous SC400 from a dealer in California and had it shipped to Hawaii so I went through both of these situations before.
Old 05-23-07, 06:16 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in Miami, FL and am planning on buying from a private party in Utah so Im guessing no taxes?
Old 05-23-07, 06:36 AM
ecoastborn
Driver School Candidate

i thought there was a way to transfer the name over when selling privately to avoid taxes, like if you put ot as a "gift" ?
Old 05-23-07, 01:08 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
I'm about to pull the trigger on an IS... and am debating used or new.

Anyone know how taxes work when purchasing a used car out of state? I live in Texas. I know that if I were to buy a NEW car in, say, California, but I title the car with Texas plates, I'd pay the Texas tax rate. However, what happens if I purchase a used car from an individual in California
and "transfer" over to me here in Texas. What tax rate do I pay - if any taxes at all??
You pay taxes in Texas. Period. You won't be able to register the car otherwise.
Originally Posted by ecoastborn
i thought there was a way to transfer the name over when selling privately to avoid taxes, like if you put ot as a "gift" ?
You have to get the seller to not only lie, but attest that lie in front of a notary that the vehicle is a donation. Even then, sometimes there are other factors that trigger a minimum applicable sales tax.

Javier
Old 05-23-07, 01:13 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

in cali .. you pay the tax at dmv...

so if it's 35k then it's 35,000*1.0825 ...

btw.. KBB value tax sucks...
Old 05-23-07, 01:43 PM
TWQ83
Rookie

Each state is different ..... But a Private Sale is the most complicated .................... most of the loop holes for taxes have been closed in most states ......... There is actually no tax paid to the Private owner! You will pay the Tax when you regiester the vehicle in what ever state you regiester it in. AND, they will either have a Minimum tax to charge usially based on miles or age of the car. to whatever your state sales tax is.......... If you come to the dealership and buy a Used car the Tax is whatever your state sales tax is ....... NOT which state you buy it in, but whichever state you register it in.......... Now if it is a friend of your or such then you can report the sale price at whatever minimum state tax is required to save tax ......... Again the seller must Notorize the sales contract with the approate numbers on it.

That is the easiest way to handle it and this is just for a cash deal ......... if you financining it through your bank .... have them do the tax work and registration for you.

Hope this helps..........
Old 05-23-07, 05:05 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dabigman
Doesn't matter how you do it, when you register it in Texas they will want proof that you paid CA tax on it or you will be handed a bill for Texas taxes.
Please elaborate. I was ready to buy a new IS250 in California, only to find out that I had to pay state tax there, and some portion of my taxes in Texas. Call it double taxation. The dealership in California told me that I cannot drive off without paying the taxes there.
Old 05-23-07, 06:33 PM
dong888
Pole Position

no, whatever taxes you pay in California should be deducted from your TX taxes. You do not have to pay double taxes.
Old 05-23-07, 07:26 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Please elaborate. I was ready to buy a new IS250 in California, only to find out that I had to pay state tax there, and some portion of my taxes in Texas. Call it double taxation. The dealership in California told me that I cannot drive off without paying the taxes there.
That's not true - car dealers have been selling and shipping cars across state lines for as long as cars have been sold. The burden of registering and paying the associated fees and taxes on a vehicle purchased in a state other than where it's registered lies with the purchaser, not the dealer. All the dealership needs is a simple piece of paper from the purchaser certifying that the owner is indeed registering the car in another state. IF you are truly an out-of-state purchaser AND user (in other words, you can't have an address in Texas and use the vehicle 100% in California) you submit this form that exempts you from paying sales tax on a new vehicle. The only caveat is that you cannot take delivery in the California. So, you'd have to deal with a dealership that would allow you to "test drive" the vehicle until you're out of the state and then let you take delivery. It's most definitely something most dealers don't want to deal with. However, It's much simpler for individual private party sales, though...

Javier

Quick Reply: Used Car Tax