IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I spent some time on Autopia, did my research, and spent some money, result is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07 | 11:14 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Nice, thanks for posting this, I have been wondering what all to get. Not that Im thinking of doing mine anytime soon, but the girlfriends 06 civic (parked outside, plus shes a girly girl who wont take care of her own car) needs it done.
Old 04-24-07 | 02:05 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

al503 is right.

also very very important for newbie's. Do NOT LET THAT Clay bar touch the ground or anything else for that matter. If it gets even a speck of dirt on it you will grind that into your paint.

also I have a thread in the clearning catagory. I cannot stress enough on how good optiminum no rinse works. It's seriously amazing.
Old 04-24-07 | 04:47 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Good pick on the tools.
I would suggest Zaino chemicals..
Old 04-25-07 | 02:12 AM
hguy4x
Driver

Originally Posted by al503
You don't want to use a circular motion. On horizontal panels (hood, trunk roof,) use straight back and forth motions going lengthwise (front to back). On the vertical panels (doors, quarter panels, etc.,) use straight motions going straight up and down. It takes a little more effort to do this but it will produce better results especially if you're using a moderate to strong clay bar that will leave micro scratches on black.
Clay itself is abrasive. thats why you never just clay and be done with it. you clay, polish (intensive -> finishing polish) glaze over whatever you can't take off w/ your finishing and then put on LSP. and if you can't do all those steps just make sure you put on your LSP. That way your hard work won't be gone after your next car wash.
Old 04-25-07 | 09:18 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hguy4x
Clay itself is abrasive. thats why you never just clay and be done with it. you clay, polish (intensive -> finishing polish) glaze over whatever you can't take off w/ your finishing and then put on LSP. and if you can't do all those steps just make sure you put on your LSP. That way your hard work won't be gone after your next car wash.
I thought this went without saying. The OP seems to have the stuff to finish off the job.
Old 05-17-07 | 08:42 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hguy4x
Hey, what is LSP?
Old 05-17-07 | 10:02 AM
aira
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Hey, what is LSP?
I did a meguiars three step and when I went wash my car a week later, my hard work was gone.
Old 05-17-07 | 10:14 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aira
I did a meguiars three step and when I went wash my car a week later, my hard work was gone.
Huh? No I mean what does it stand for?
Old 05-17-07 | 10:31 AM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

where the pics?!?!
Old 05-17-07 | 10:32 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

wow, yea that was cheap!
Old 05-17-07 | 11:08 AM
jdoolitt
Rookie

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Hey, what is LSP?

LSP = Last Step Product. In the OPs case, that is likely the NXT wax.
Old 05-17-07 | 12:37 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

You don't want to use a circular motion. On horizontal panels (hood, trunk roof,) use straight back and forth motions going lengthwise (front to back). On the vertical panels (doors, quarter panels, etc.,) use straight motions going straight up and down. It takes a little more effort to do this but it will produce better results especially if you're using a moderate to strong clay bar that will leave micro scratches on black.
VERY GOOD ADVICE^^^^^^
Avoids swirls in the clearcoat
Old 05-17-07 | 01:15 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdoolitt
LSP = Last Step Product. In the OPs case, that is likely the NXT wax.
Thank you!

Okay, but if you are using a mild clay bar like the megs brand one, it shouldnt leave any micro scratches right?
Old 05-17-07 | 02:10 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Can't wait to see the results. Where did you order your porter cable 7424? I've been trying to get the 7336 for months now.
Old 05-17-07 | 03:11 PM
United #10
Pole Position

I paid $99 for my new PC7424 (ordered it on www.tools-plus.com).

check out this CL link, you may find out more discount code
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59305

Quick Reply: So I spent some time on Autopia, did my research, and spent some money, result is...