IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 08:08 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Shark Fin pre wired? I ask because I have an external Sat Radio that I used to have in my previous car. I eventually plan to get the stock system for the IS - but in the meantime I'd love to use my external unit and use the shark fin as my antenna.

If it is prewired, where does the connection to it come out? What kind of connection is it... a harness that plugs into the stock system, an SMB type connection, or something else?
Old 05-22-07, 08:13 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

go here lexus-parts.com and check the installation for the XM radio, it has it there.
Old 05-22-07, 08:19 PM
1022it
Pole Position

Just to forewarn you, XM radio is not anywhere near CD or even mp3 (128 bit) quality sound. some channels sound better than others, but i discontinued my XM subscription because the quality has decreased so much since the product came out. i am guessing the reason behind this is that they added more content in exchange for the higher quality sound.

i got XM radio installed in the summer of 02 if i remember correctly. it was one of the first units to come into the valley. back then, they were boasting about clear digital sound. digital revolution this and that... now some channels almost sound as bad as AM radio!

i would wait 1 or 2 years until HD radio is mainstream.
Old 05-22-07, 08:21 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

wow thats bad news to hear. Well lets see what other have to say about this.
Old 06-17-07, 05:43 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

$700 wow!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-07, 07:38 PM
THoon
Rookie

If you are going to get XM, don't pay the $13. You can get 1 year for $77. Just google it for the promo code. Or just call and ask for the 1 year at $77. You might have to call a few times until one of the reps give it do you. I've done this 2 times already. I'll also try to sell you radio's at promo pricing. I got an $80 radio for just $5! That was with a home kit too.
Old 07-18-07, 12:40 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, bumping this thread as my driving situation maybe changing soon and I will be on the road for a little longer and am now seriously thinking about adding XM to my car. I have a couple questions though:

Is the XM display of song titles and artists hindered by the same lame toyota blocking that plagues the mp3 text feature? So while Im listening to XM and driving am I not going to be able to see the song Im listening to?

Also what are your opinions of the sound quality? As good or better or worse than mp3?

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-18-07, 03:38 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Okay, bumping this thread as my driving situation maybe changing soon and I will be on the road for a little longer and am now seriously thinking about adding XM to my car. I have a couple questions though:

Is the XM display of song titles and artists hindered by the same lame toyota blocking that plagues the mp3 text feature? So while Im listening to XM and driving am I not going to be able to see the song Im listening to?

Also what are your opinions of the sound quality? As good or better or worse than mp3?

Thanks everyone!

Man i wanna get it too but not happy with the price they gave me to install it $600 bucks. Thats insane, but when i look at the installation manual it looks hard *** hell. Like taking apart everthing and stuff like that. Im not soo good with that stuff and if i do something like that i want to put it back just like it was. I dont im just too **** about how everything is.
Old 07-18-07, 04:16 PM
ayu910
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone!
Yes, it does not display the title and song unless you push the "text" button in the XM menu.

Sound quality is ok much like MP3 but much better than Aux In for sure.
Old 07-18-07, 04:29 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
so they charge $400 extra for XM radio, wow. So you went there and what did they put in your car that made it recieve XM wavelengths
You guys got a "deal" at $400, my dealer wanted $800!! I said forget it.

I'm thinking about the Dice HD Radio Unit.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-18-07, 04:34 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Oh, and keep in mind that its 13 bucks a month to use! I think thats way over priced, but it sure does beat FM radio...
Ben_r,
You're right, it does beat FM. I hardly ever listen to the radio unless it's AM talk.

I had XM for a 1 1/2 years and found it to be like satellite tv. There was way more stations than I would ever listen to.

The best thing I've done so far and I know a lot of the guys want iPod integration, but this Bluetooth transmitter/receiver from iskin is amazing. No I don't have it show on the screen, but, my iPod is completely cordless and I can hold it in my and, set it in the cup holder or whatever. It was cheap and works like a charm!

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 07-18-07, 04:51 PM
ayu910
Driver School Candidate

Man i wanna get it too but not happy with the price they gave me to install it $600 bucks. Thats insane, but when i look at the installation manual it looks hard *** hell. Like taking apart everthing and stuff like that. Im not soo good with that stuff and if i do something like that i want to put it back just like it was. I dont im just too **** about how everything is.
The intallation does take some time. I did it myself and took me around 2 hours with careful process each step trying not to brake any clips or repalce the clips if they are dagamed. Plus I make sure everything align per factory installation when assembling back together.

BTW, the link of XM Kit installation I found around here is for the GS350 which is not the right one. Here is the one for the 2007 ISX50
http://my.is/forums/attachments/f159...ll-6isxmst.pdf

sorry, can't attach this file here since it's bigger than 390K allowable size for this forum.
Old 07-18-07, 06:30 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Well I ordered it from Sewell today. I pulled the trigger after finding out I could get a years service for only 77 bucks! Ill try to take a bunch of pics when I install it and make a DIY thread. Hopefully that will help persuade you to give it a try as I really dont think its going to be that difficult to do.
Old 07-18-07, 07:00 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Well I ordered it from Sewell today. I pulled the trigger after finding out I could get a years service for only 77 bucks! Ill try to take a bunch of pics when I install it and make a DIY thread. Hopefully that will help persuade you to give it a try as I really dont think its going to be that difficult to do.
Thats good to hear. Well i think a DIY on this will be very helpfull and with pics even better. Yea and i hope when you post it upp it will make me install it myself, i mean its not like im going take it to the dealer ne way.
Old 07-18-07, 07:24 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Thats good to hear. Well i think a DIY on this will be very helpfull and with pics even better. Yea and i hope when you post it upp it will make me install it myself, i mean its not like im going take it to the dealer ne way.
God I would hope not, I can tell you a million better thing you can waste your money on other than throwing it away on a damn dealer!

Quick Reply: XM Radio