IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IPOD integration kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 05:25 AM
toyinbkk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile IPOD integration kit

I have seen many kits for IPOD. VAISTECH, DICE and NEOLINK. I am going to get IS250 without Nav. What is the best? Please Help!!!
Old 04-25-07, 06:28 AM
is_elf
Driver

Why get one at all...it already has an IPOD hook up in the center arm rest. I do not have Nav. but mine has the hook up.
Old 04-25-07, 06:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by is_elf
Why get one at all...it already has an IPOD hook up in the center arm rest. I do not have Nav. but mine has the hook up.
The hookup in the armrest is only an audio input, it offers no control or display features. Rather than trying to fumble with a scroll wheel while driving, it is easier and safer to use the controls on the steering wheel.
Old 04-25-07, 07:12 AM
is_elf
Driver

Just seems like a waste of money IMO.
Old 04-25-07, 07:29 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, I bought the Kuda mount and the Dice holder and ran the cable under the center area. Will post pics later tonight when I get home.
Old 04-25-07, 07:53 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

For non-Navi ISX50 none of the kits work well. I had the VAISTECH interface and it had all kinds of issues, recognizing the iPod and display issues being the main ones. I've talked to the DICE people and they admitted that their interface basically lets you control the iPod from the head unit but none of the display functions will work.

No idea on Neolink.
Old 04-25-07, 09:01 AM
anitabj
Driver

yeah not worth it man..just use the aux jacks...mine isnt too bad..i got a 3 output cigarette outlet to connect to all my crap and then a belkin.....belkin to input....and then 1 belkin wire to ipod directly.......and i place my eyepod in the cup holder......looks fine to me...i will take pics if u wanna see...cost me all of 20 bucks....
Old 04-25-07, 11:48 PM
toyinbkk
Driver School Candidate

Then I would really appreciate. Thanks...
Old 04-26-07, 05:38 AM
jdoolitt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why an iPOD at all? I did the iPOD thing for about one week - and got tired of fumbling with controls, not being able to tell see album/song, yadda yadda. Started burning MP3 CDs... I burn CDs with entire album collections onto a single CD for artists I like. Playlists? Yep -- I've burned multiple playlists onto CDs (separated by folder). Again - at roughly 100-200 songs per CD.. i can get a whole crapload of songs. The base system holds six CDs... I found that this not only sounds every bit as good as plugging in my iPOD - I gain the control of my head unit, can see artist, track, etc.. Highly recommend experimenting with this method before you drop a bunch of money on something that doesn't integrate with your system...
Old 04-26-07, 11:48 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I love having iPod integration, the whole idea is to have it fully integrated however, like the newer Alpine and other headunits.

I used to have a Alpine 9857 installed in my Jeep, controlling the iPod was easy and I had access to 30 gigs of music at the touch of my fingertips.

I'm fairly frustrated with the ISX50 non-navi headunit, its a technological dinosaur really. Right now I have the Harmon Kardon iPod kit which has its own screen and scroll **** and that works ok (and only cost $50 last Thanksgiving at Best Buy) and I can't wait until some of the announced face plate kit that integrate aftermarket radios finally get released. I'm booting the stock headunit as soon as I can get a face plate kit and putting my Alpine in: iPod integration, XM radio and Bluetooth all in one.
Old 04-26-07, 02:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CoasterG
I love having iPod integration, the whole idea is to have it fully integrated however, like the newer Alpine and other headunits.

I used to have a Alpine 9857 installed in my Jeep, controlling the iPod was easy and I had access to 30 gigs of music at the touch of my fingertips.

I'm fairly frustrated with the ISX50 non-navi headunit, its a technological dinosaur really. Right now I have the Harmon Kardon iPod kit which has its own screen and scroll **** and that works ok (and only cost $50 last Thanksgiving at Best Buy) and I can't wait until some of the announced face plate kit that integrate aftermarket radios finally get released. I'm booting the stock headunit as soon as I can get a face plate kit and putting my Alpine in: iPod integration, XM radio and Bluetooth all in one.
Yep, I cant stand how the non nav dash looks, its horrible. My buddy has a 350 without nav and its like night and day. Im very happy I got nav in mine.
Old 04-26-07, 09:05 PM
is_elf
Driver

My IS does not have nav and I like that look...it took me a long time to find the color I wanted without it...I have never been a fan of nav...I know where I am going and I knew I wanted a custom system so what was in it made no diffrence to me...but I have to disagree...I do not think the nav system looks better at all I do not like it.
Old 04-26-07, 09:14 PM
andone
Lead Lap

Well it is a good idea on spending $250 on a IPOD integration kit for people that doens't have NAV.
Old 04-27-07, 05:23 AM
s0l0
Driver School Candidate

Default convert to wma format

I'm not sure if the non-ML stereo plays mp3/wma or not. If it does, try using Acoustica Audio Convertor and changing all your mp3's (128kbps average) to wma format at 64kbps. I try to fool myself which file is which my playing both song and shuffle through them and guess which is which, but I can't tell the difference at all. I tried it on my Altec Lansing system with both playing pretty loud, and I also tried it in my IS with the ML system. Can't tell the difference at all. The WMA format is half the size of the MP3 with exactly the same quality. Less file size = more songs on each CD. No need to fumble with the stupid iPod. I tried the iPod (connected to input at console) but it is so dangerous to mess with while driving. You can fit roughly 300 songs a wma cd. Let me know if you need help with conversion .