IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinion needed on this clear bra job (pics incl)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 08:37 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
It has the 3M warranty against yellowing but it doesn't say anything about the install. If they refuse to work with me then I will threaten to go to the better business bureau and the dealer that uses them. They are a certified installer of 3m clear bra, I just can't believe that this is what I ended up with.
If I were you, I'd take the car to your dealership and just show them the sort of crap work their "recommended" bra installer is doing. They might support and help you in getting it rectified.
Old 04-26-07, 08:42 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had it done THROUGH the dealer, then deal with the dealer. If you found out who the dealer uses and contracted directly with them then, yeah, deal with them. Of course, you may consider talking to the service manager to see if he can weigh in on the situation considering the do a lot of work for the dealer; especially if the dealer is the one that referred you to them.

I had mine done through the dealer. Of course they brought somebody in. The dealer dealt with the problems for me. They forced the installer to reinstall 3 times before bringing in someone else the did it correctly. I didn't have the misfortune of having to deal with the installer. Of course, I paid a hefty price by buying the bra through the dealer.... but it was worth it to me. I'm all about convenience and service and am willing to pay a premium for it.

Good luck. Yes, the overlaps need to be fixed, definitely.
Old 04-26-07, 08:43 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like some newbs were trying to install it for the first time...
Old 04-26-07, 09:58 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Well my husband called them and they said our options was to trim it or remove it for a refund. I don't think trimming it is going to make it look any better. The installer gave excuses that the film is difficult to work with and the IS is a difficult car to install it on and if we were "****" about it we would never be satisfied. Does anyone have detailed photos of a good install or any recommendations for installers in the Orlando or Tampa Bay area?
Old 04-26-07, 10:04 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Once it is cured, there is no way of trimming the clear bra.

If they do not give you a refund, simply phone 3M and file a complaint.

They will be forced to give you a full refund or replacement.
Old 04-26-07, 10:18 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRIM IT!!! With what a razor blade against your paint. I don't think so if it were me. Also to use the word **** with me when u did that bad of a job. All i can say is someone would have to cart both of us to the ER to remove my foot from his ****.
Old 04-26-07, 10:47 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Do not have it trimmed. To trim it they will run a razor over the clearbra to cut it and then take it off... imagine if they cut too deeply... if they did that half assed a job installing it, imagine how bad it would be trying to cut it.

The clear bra should NOT overlap at all.
There should NOT be any particles under the clearbra...
Some bubbling will disappear after a couple days.

Honestly, the fact that it overlaps, and the edges do not line up... i would be very disatisfied.

Have them remove and get it done somwehre else.
Old 04-26-07, 11:27 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

dude. that looks like something someone bought off of ebay and done at home..i've seen clear bras that i couldn't even tell was on..i would definitely get a refund and go somewhere else.

here are some photos from a member on here:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...t=3857&ppuser=

Last edited by supaIS350; 04-26-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-26-07, 11:37 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well we have decided to have Ultra Shield remove the clear bra. I am not letting them at my car with a knife...geez I am worried about them damaging it when they take off the bra. I have talked to AutoPaint Guard in Tampa and have a much better feeling about them so I think I will use him to reinstall it. This guy said that he does cars from all over the state and has redone cars that had bad Ultra Shield jobs. He is booked up for a few weeks so as soon as I can get in I will let you guys know how it looks (for you fellow Floridians in the market for a clear bra)
Old 04-26-07, 02:43 PM
illawgical
Driver

You should be able to go back and tell them to redo it. At least for me, the guy told me that if there was anything that I was unhappy with, he'd redo it.

Try giving them a call since you have a warranty on it.
Old 04-26-07, 02:56 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

I am sorry to see that. I hope that they will redo it for you...
Old 04-26-07, 03:17 PM
wushuboy
Driver

have then take it off.. reapply wax to your car... get a refund and take it somewhere else.. that's horrible service right there
Old 04-26-07, 03:20 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
Well my husband called them and they said our options was to trim it or remove it for a refund. I don't think trimming it is going to make it look any better. The installer gave excuses that the film is difficult to work with and the IS is a difficult car to install it on and if we were "****" about it we would never be satisfied. Does anyone have detailed photos of a good install or any recommendations for installers in the Orlando or Tampa Bay area?
Given that excuse I'd speak to the Lexus service manager and tell him what they said and mention that "you might want to find another person to install your clear bras". I'd also promptly return and have it removed and have the cost of labor, material and tax refunded. That'll teach 'em to lay out such sorry *** excuses. I HATE bad customer service.
Old 04-26-07, 03:23 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wushuboy
have then take it off.. reapply wax to your car... get a refund and take it somewhere else.. that's horrible service right there
uhh... ur suppose to remove the wax before applying clear bra.

why bother reapplying wax?
Old 04-26-07, 03:44 PM
wushuboy
Driver

because after he gets it taken off at that place he'll want to have some layer of wax before he drives away. Just for protection until he finds another place to go to. he shouldnt even bother getting it redone at that place.

Last edited by wushuboy; 04-26-07 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinion needed on this clear bra job (pics incl)