IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Guess who gets to take their IS on a Formula 1 track?? hehe

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 08:31 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess who gets to take their IS on a Formula 1 track?? hehe

So, I found out there is a race track about 1 1/2 hour from my home. And apparently they offer schools in the summer. The race track is called Mid-Ohio. Their website is www.midohio.com, I would check it out if I were you, its sweeet. So I am going to take some advanced driving classes there this summer, and I can use my own car, which obviously I will. It is going to be sick!! Only 2 months away!

Question:

For some of you more experienced drivers/people who have been on a track before, should I do anything to my car to make it better suited for the track? what about tires, wheels, anything at all? should I invest in some of the chassis braces that they have on l-tuned parts? lemme know what ya'll think.. thanks

Edit: it's might not be an F1 track, but it is still freakin' awesome.

Last edited by Burst32; 04-27-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 08:45 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like fun, but it's not an F1 track.
Old 04-27-07, 08:49 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sounds like fun, but it's not an F1 track.
I thought it was...who knows, they have some picures of F1's on there. But whatever the case may be...it is still going to be sweet. especially having a professional driver teaching you how to drive on a track, I think it will be fun as hell. definately worth the $675
Old 04-27-07, 09:08 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. I usually pump up the tires a little more than what's recommended (usually about 4-5 lbs.)
2. go with a full tank of gas
3. If they don't rent helmets, get the best and lightest one you can afford. You only have 1 head.
4. have at least 3/32nds of tread left on your tires

Most of the other stuff you'll have to know will be on the materials they send you.

If this is your first time out, I really wouldn't bother upgrading anything. If and when you go out again and start to progress and want to pursue this further, that's when you'll know exactly what needs to be done to the car.
Old 04-27-07, 10:05 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
1. I usually pump up the tires a little more than what's recommended (usually about 4-5 lbs.)
2. go with a full tank of gas
3. If they don't rent helmets, get the best and lightest one you can afford. You only have 1 head.
4. have at least 3/32nds of tread left on your tires

Most of the other stuff you'll have to know will be on the materials they send you.

If this is your first time out, I really wouldn't bother upgrading anything. If and when you go out again and start to progress and want to pursue this further, that's when you'll know exactly what needs to be done to the car.
hey thanks a lot. I appreciate the feedback. but yea im jacked about going, i've always wanted to drive on a track and actually have someone teach me how to drive, and drive good (not just pass a test like in driver's ed.)
Old 04-27-07, 10:14 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Burst32
hey thanks a lot. I appreciate the feedback. but yea im jacked about going, i've always wanted to drive on a track and actually have someone teach me how to drive, and drive good (not just pass a test like in driver's ed.)
You'll have a blast. I remember my first HPDE. I told myself I wasn't going to go past 7/10th because the g35 was less than a year old. That notion went away on the very first lap and I could feel the VSC kicking in to make up for taking a corner here and there a little too fast.

Have fun and see what the IS can do.
Old 04-27-07, 10:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Burst32
I thought it was...who knows, they have some picures of F1's on there.
Probably Formula 2000. Only F-1 in USA is Indy.

Let us know how the 250 brakes do. A friend took his A4 to a track day and completely ruined the brakes. Rotors turned blue from overheating, and completely wore out the pads.
Old 04-27-07, 10:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

You might want to consider brake pads oriented toward operation at the hot end of things. The IS is a heavy car and it won't take a lot to fade the OEM pads. Other than that, keep the rubber side down and it will all be good.
Old 04-27-07, 10:40 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You might want to consider brake pads oriented toward operation at the hot end of things. The IS is a heavy car and it won't take a lot to fade the OEM pads. Other than that, keep the rubber side down and it will all be good.
I am going to have the EBC GREEN STUFF installed in the next month or so. I dont think the IS250 has enough power to warrant the RED STUFF. What do ya'll think?? OR what pads should I install?
Old 04-27-07, 10:45 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Other than that, keep the rubber side down and it will all be good.

LOL!
Old 04-27-07, 10:46 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I would honestly recommend EBC Red Stuff over the Green Stuff. The Red Stuff is for more heavy duty braking which is what you will be doing around the turns....better to be safe than sorry. Review it 100% before you go through it. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 04-27-07, 10:51 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I would honestly recommend EBC Red Stuff over the Green Stuff. The Red Stuff is for more heavy duty braking which is what you will be doing around the turns....better to be safe than sorry. Review it 100% before you go through it. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Yea since I havent had any classes or track time there before, the first time I go there I have to take the advanced driver class and all that. I will take baby steps and learn everything before they let me out there by myself. It is mostly instruction until I am ready to go solo. but all in all it is really just instruction, but still. it'll be sweet.
Old 04-28-07, 04:47 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Mid-Ohio is used for American Le Mans Series and the Porsche Cup.

I'm gonna try and hit up Limerock in CT and Englishtown Raceway (if they ever finish construx)

Good luck to you and try EBC Redstuff paired with Michelin PS Cups shaved to 6/32
Old 04-28-07, 04:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I'd recommend upping the quality of your brake fluid to a synthetic with a higher boiling point. I like ATE Super Blue but Motul and Valvoline make good stuff as well. Flush it with the new stuff just before you go.

Get yourself one (or two, since you'll have an instructor) of these devices for your seatbelt since you won't have a race shell, high bolster seat or multi-part harness. Will help keep your belt cinched down and hold you in your seat in corners.
http://www.cg-lock.com/

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-28-07 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-28-07, 08:02 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would probably also be a good idea for you to untorque, and retorque all your lug nuts to spec using a torque wrench so that your brake rotors don't warp when they are super hot. You never know if the last mechanic took any care when torqueing them down...

Quick Reply: Guess who gets to take their IS on a Formula 1 track?? hehe