IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why so much price difference ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 01:16 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so much price difference ?

So my brakes started making a grinding sound. I checked my brakes and they seem to still have a bit, but it looks like its time to replace. I don't get why they are making a grinding noise like if the pad is completely worn when they're not. It has 17k miles by the way..

Anyways, I called two dealerships around my area. One quoted me $400.00 So I figured I try another one and I found one that quoted me $245.00. Is it just me or is this too much of a difference in price ???
Old 04-29-07, 01:24 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Wow - is that all??? I am going to love this car. my current car (which is about to be replaced by an IS) costs $600+ to get a brake job done.
Old 04-29-07, 01:30 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
Wow - is that all??? I am going to love this car. my current car (which is about to be replaced by an IS) costs $600+ to get a brake job done.
What's your current car?
Old 04-29-07, 02:15 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by l1tech
What's your current car?
VW Touareg.
Old 05-05-07, 06:02 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the $600 for front and rear brakes with the rotors also being replaced. If it's just for the fronts you got took.
Old 05-05-07, 06:07 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexudv
So my brakes started making a grinding sound. I checked my brakes and they seem to still have a bit, but it looks like its time to replace. I don't get why they are making a grinding noise like if the pad is completely worn when they're not. It has 17k miles by the way..

Anyways, I called two dealerships around my area. One quoted me $400.00 So I figured I try another one and I found one that quoted me $245.00. Is it just me or is this too much of a difference in price ???
Its not cover under warranty? when you take it in for service and if they found out that your brake is running low, wouldn't they replace it for you without charging it?
Old 05-05-07, 06:13 AM
SpookJr
Rookie

Its funny to see you mechanically challenge people waste hundreds of dollars on a simple maintence anyone that has any common sense can do. There are DIY with photo's on how to change you brakes in this forum. Take a challenge, step and try to do it yourself for once. The thing with cars are they are pretty much all the same, you do one you can do most others. $400 dollars....thats just plain stupid.
Old 05-05-07, 06:58 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you only calling dealerships for price quotes? Find a reputable local shop and they will do a better job for 1/2 the price...
Old 05-05-07, 08:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealerships vary. Many just rely on simple "Lexus estimates" that is recommended, which involve calculating hourly labor rates and cost of parts.

More experienced dealerships may not follow these estimates and create a charge "menu" instead.

For overall value, it's best to have such repairs done by an outside source or by yourself. Not that a dealer isn't good, it's just not the most cost-effective option.

If you feel that a dealership will treat you better (OEM parts, they've done it several times already), the extra cost may be worth it. If you feel that an outside car service mechanic can do it (maybe aftermarket parts, may not know your car well), the savings may be worth it. If you think you can do it yourself (brakes are for safety -- if you fock up, it's your @ss), then by all means...
Old 05-05-07, 08:09 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
Wow....You guy let the dealer charge that much? Y not do it yourself? I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a brake job.
Old 05-05-07, 08:32 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

spookjr is right. There are some very good DIY articles on here. Guys seriously, you can do it yourself. It's really not that hard. I did it on my last two cars and it took about 20min per wheel.
Old 05-05-07, 08:57 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Take it to Just Brakes, its 100 for front and rear for life
Old 05-05-07, 09:00 AM
neova
Pole Position

I think it's wise to let the professionals service your brakes if you don't have the skills or experience. Even with DYI tutorials it's not the proper place to learn how to do these things. Most DYI's don't even mention any safety precautions or proper tools that's needed for the job, and certainly does not provide any troubleshooting info should the job not go smooth.

If you want to learn go watch an experienced mechanic do it or get proper instructions from a pro - servcing a safety feature on your car shouldn't be taken lightly.

If you really want to learn by doing, try it on an old beater first - why mess with your $40k car that still has warranty?

Cheers
Old 05-05-07, 09:09 AM
iainthim
Driver School Candidate

Take it to the dealer, tell them the brakes are making noise. I did, and my dealer did a one time "good will" brake job. I honestly didnt know the brakes were shot after 12K miles, which still surprises me, but the dealership performed the brake job with no hassles.
Old 05-05-07, 09:25 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Its not cover under warranty? when you take it in for service and if they found out that your brake is running low, wouldn't they replace it for you without charging it?
Warrany covers manufacturer defects, brake's are suppose to wear out and be replaced on a regular basis, hence, not a warranty item. If the brake's actually failed, that would be covered. Wear and tear however is not. Think of it as putting gas in your car.

Quick Reply: Why so much price difference ?