IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Park Assist Sensors w/ Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 01:41 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Rear Park Assist Sensors w/ Nav?

Do you think it is a waste of money or redundant to order park assist if you are getting the Nav with backup camera? If you have them and you have Nav do you feel it is worth it or is the backup cam just as good? Dealer is saying car may come quicker if I order it without the Park Assist.

Still working on final price for my special order, dealer does not seem to want to come down $2,000.00 off sticker price of $45K on a special order. JM Lexus says they don't normally discount special orders. Seems like I should be able to get even more than $2K off sticker since this is 2nd model yr, going on 3rd soon. For $45k I could almost get something else but I like the IS350.
Old 04-29-07, 01:43 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it and like it. Not sure I really need it though.
Old 04-29-07, 04:19 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It may be hard to get nav without PA. PA is a waste with nav.

Koz
Old 04-29-07, 06:15 PM
beatadrum
Driver School Candidate

I think it would be a little unnecasarry since you already are getting camera, but a little off topic but if I were spending 45k get some nicer...like a very well equipped 335i, THAT would be worth 45k in my opinion, but its your call
Old 04-29-07, 08:15 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
It may be hard to get nav without PA.
This is incorrect.
Old 04-30-07, 01:04 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

I have NAV and would like to have the parking assist. I would get it.
Old 04-30-07, 07:00 AM
Smoky350
Pole Position

I have Nav and PA and I love it. I mostly use the camera when I back up but my girlfriend gets confused when looking at the camera and uses park assist also its good to have park assist in the front especially where I live in NY. I have my car for over half a year and never bumped another car with the front and back while parking.
Old 04-30-07, 07:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers can actually give the largest discounts on special order cars because they don't have to inventory or floor the car. This saves the dealer money. They will never tell you this because they want you to believe that it costs more to special order a car, which is is not true. Also, dealers hate special ordering because they need to move what they have in stock, which IS costing them money. Plus, the salesman doesn't want to wait up to 5 months to get paid.

I would get the PA with the NAV simply because the car would be better optioned.
Old 04-30-07, 08:16 AM
illawgical
Driver

I wouldn't use the backup camera to assist in parking. The lens itself is a fisheye so objects are father away than they really are... it should really just be used as a tool to see if anything is coming or is around when you're backing up... I don't have PA but I think it's a great option and you should get it if you have the chance.
Old 04-30-07, 10:55 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

If you're parking back towards a concrete wall, the camera gives you little or no depth perception. The PA will beep a continuous tone when you get to the closest distance before touching the wall. I use it that way all the time.
Old 04-30-07, 12:11 PM
SkydotCom
Rookie

i mean your already paying near $45k. What does another $500 mean? i have both nav and PA also. i usually keep it on all the time. Like once while I'm reading a book with the car in Park, someone decides to walk too close to my bumpers, I get a beeping signal. I was like wtf? So it works while in motion and parked.
Old 04-30-07, 12:47 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Thanks for your comments. I think PA is something I do want w/ Nav. Since I want Lux/Nav/ML and PA it's a special order in FL.

I'm more concerned with price than waiting, it's been 3 days and still the dealer has not called back about getting $2k off sticker price. I don't want to pay full sticker just because it's a special order. But they said they don't discount anything on a special order, I didn't think it would be this difficult to order.
Old 04-30-07, 08:05 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

i have nav and PA and i absolutely love it. PA is definately one of the better features for me. Anytime i park (especially in the tight garage) it helps me to know exactly how much room i have (not only in the back, but the front also). PA is definately worth the money . . .
Old 04-30-07, 08:18 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

For me, the back up camera is good enough. I dont need anything for the front because I can park 1 inch off the wall with no problem. I am very aware where my bumpers are at all times.
Old 04-30-07, 09:09 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

With Park *** you could have an idea how close is your car to the object which to backward or toward to... But the backup cam just show you the vision of it not giving you any info of how close you are... So I think backup cam is supporting Park *** rather than the other way around... IMO

Quick Reply: Rear Park Assist Sensors w/ Nav?