IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pros and Cons for 0w-x0 oil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 06:00 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Pros and Cons for 0w-x0 oil.

Those who have used 0w-x0 oils (preferrably Mobil 1), can you summarise the pros and cons you have discovered during the usage. If any problems, what did you replace it with?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-07, 06:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If you use a 0W-x0 oil, you can expect better start ups (especially in cold weather) and even in warm weather smoother smarts. When driving the accelerator shouldn't feel heavy, but rather quite smooth. However, I would stick to a 0W20 to 0W40. 0W40 for a Mobil 1 was my favorite among the grades I had tried in my RX (0W40, 5W50, 15W50, 10W30, 5W30).

Issues can occur on older vehicles above 100,000 miles where something like a 0W20 or 0W30 (unless it is the German Castrol 0W30 that can feel like a W40 when warmed up) can get chewed up (sheared) by an older engine. If you race your vehicle, a 0W40 would also be preferable in a newer vehicle as the oil can also get sheared as well (take it from someone who knows).
<---------------------------------------
Old 05-01-07, 08:01 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Only negitive is, it is hard to find! (0w-20) Mobil 1 is sold in Walmart. I use the new Amsoil 0w-20.

Koz
Old 05-01-07, 08:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Koz
Only negitive is, it is hard to find! (0w-20) Mobil 1 is sold in Walmart. I use the new Amsoil 0w-20.

Koz
I have been hearing great things about that Amsoil 0W20...should it become to hard to get the German Castrol (it already is), I want to give Amsoil a shot (but no Amsoil in Mexico)
Old 05-01-07, 08:22 AM
IS35O
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running Mobil1 5w30, but am switching to Amsoil 0w20 at my next change
Old 05-01-07, 10:40 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

does the dealer use fully synthetic? If not, can i switch back and forth between fully synthetic and regular?
Old 05-01-07, 12:02 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by ThoLe
does the dealer use fully synthetic? If not, can i switch back and forth between fully synthetic and regular?
The Stealer should offer synthetic, for an additional cost. If they don't you could arrange to bring your own oil. They should deduct the cost of the oil they were going to use. Toyota recommends that you do not switch back and forth from synthetic. I can not see why it would make a difference, since these can actually be mixed together.

Koz
Old 05-01-07, 12:15 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I am using 0w-50 ENEOS by Nippo Oil, the best JDM oil I guess.
Pros:
Shorter time to warm up the car, and I feel it gives me more soild (faster response time) when pressing on the gas paddle. This could be a mind effect only.
Cons:
Cost more gas since higher oil weight. I say it runs 30 miles less when compare with regular 20/30 oils.

According to the Eneos, I should see a significant of lowering in temperature also but I never check. I don't drive my wife's is350 much... but I am enjoying using the best and JDM only.
Eneos's Site

Last edited by josephdoc; 05-01-07 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add link and pic
Old 05-01-07, 12:17 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
The Stealer should offer synthetic, for an additional cost. If they don't you could arrange to bring your own oil.

Koz
I've always been curious...how do you even know if they use the oil you bring in or not ?

Anyways, is Amsoil available in local stores by any chance?

I've only heard good things about it.
Old 05-01-07, 12:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joonsta
I've always been curious...how do you even know if they use the oil you bring in or not ?

I have never seen Amsoil in stores in the U.S., though some specialty auto places sometimes stock it. Actually, on a recent trip to Jamaica, the parts store that sold me my Harrier emblem did have it available.

You can ask dealer if they will let you watch them put the oil in, but then you have to be there.
Old 05-01-07, 12:27 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have never seen Amsoil in stores in the U.S., though some specialty auto places sometimes stock it. Actually, on a recent trip to Jamaica, the parts store that sold me my Harrier emblem did have it available.

You can ask dealer if they will let you watch them put the oil in, but then you have to be there.
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout .

Does Lexus ***** about the oil if it's not the type of oil mentioned in the TSB(5W-20)?
Old 05-01-07, 12:33 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by josephdoc
I am using 0w-50 by ENEOS by Nippo Oil, the best JDM oil I guess.
Pros:
Shorter time to warm up the car, and I feel it gives me more soild (faster response time) when pressing on the gas paddle. This could be a mind effect only.
Cons:
Cost more gas since higher oil weight. I say it runs 30 miles less when compare with regular 20/30 oils.

According to the Eneos, I should see a significant of lowering in temperature also but I never check. I don't drive my wife's is350 much... but I am enjoying using the best and JDM only.
Do NOT use a 50 weight oil in your Toyota. You could damage the engine. The first number rating is for start-up and cold weather. "0w", the w is a designation for winter. The other number is for an engine running at operating temp. The problem with using 50 weight oil is the actual size of the molecules. In 50 weight oil the molecules may be too big to get in the very close bearing tolerances. Do yourself a favor and get that oil out of your engine and use only the recommended weight. This is NOT a case of "Bigger is Better"!

Koz
Old 05-01-07, 12:36 PM
Koz

You can become a preferred customer from the Amsoil website and get a discounted price. You may be able to find it in some motorcycle dealers, but 0w-20 is not common for motorcycles.

Koz
Old 05-01-07, 01:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks, I'll be on the lookout .

Does Lexus ***** about the oil if it's not the type of oil mentioned in the TSB(5W-20)?
They can, but I nor any others I talked to had an issue. Where they may refuse, is if you use something way out of bounds like a high weight oil. However, they put a Mobil 1 5W50 I brough them up from Mexico in my RX a few years back without issue.

Part of the reason for this was that Mobil did not readily sell the W30 or W40 in Mexico City and I had a very, very, very difficult time trying to get anything in a W30 or W40 without blowing my paycheck (it was special order). Toyota was using a regular 5W30 which I didn't want to use. In the past 3 years, this has changed 180 degrees and now lower weight oils are plentiful.
Old 05-01-07, 01:18 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Do NOT use a 50 weight oil in your Toyota. You could damage the engine. The first number rating is for start-up and cold weather. "0w", the w is a designation for winter. The other number is for an engine running at operating temp. The problem with using 50 weight oil is the actual size of the molecules. In 50 weight oil the molecules may be too big to get in the very close bearing tolerances. Do yourself a favor and get that oil out of your engine and use only the recommended weight. This is NOT a case of "Bigger is Better"!

Koz
I was thinking the same way as you think, and I am not a believer of bigger-is-better theory. I actually did the research at Super Autobacs stores(Yokohama-Jp, Tokyo-Jp, and Stanton-usa ) and Lexus dealer at Yokohama... "THEY ALL SAID IT IS THE BEST FOR IS350, and most of 3-litter and up vehicles", and same at Eneos R&D..

GTG... I will come back for this.

Last edited by josephdoc; 05-01-07 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons for 0w-x0 oil.