How smart is the SmartKey?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 12:07 PM
thekidline
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How smart is the SmartKey?

ISSUE 1

I was reading a thread at this site about non-U.S. cars being able to close the windows and sunroof remotely with the key fob. Has anyone been able to find a work around so that we northern (I'm Canadian eh) Lexus owners and the U.S.A. ones can do the same?

ISSUE 2

Sent this email to the admin guys, and no response yet, so now I am registered and can ask the experts...

***original message***
To: ekay@clublexus.com
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 5:46 PM
Subject: Question to post?

Car:
2nd Gen. IS

Topic:
SmartKey

Question:
Has anyone tested the SmartKey by starting the car, getting out of the car with the key, and letting someone else drive away in the car?... Does it set the alarm off? Does it shut the engine off? How long or how far did the car go before shutting off or sounding the alarm? If none of the above, then it's not a very smart key now is it! I'm chicken to try it myself
Old 05-01-07, 12:15 PM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Question 1. Can't do it.

Question 2. Someone can drive off in your car with no key and no alarms will go off.

Welcome to CL but you should try a search on these topics since it has all been discussed.
Old 05-01-07, 12:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key is not as smart as you make it out to be.

But it starts the car and lock/unlock the car, that's all it needs to do....for me at least.
Old 05-01-07, 12:40 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nabisco
Question 2. Someone can drive off in your car with no key and no alarms will go off.
Um... I didn't know that, cause everytime when my key fob is away from the car it will start beeping saying "No remote key deceted" something like that, didn't know you can still drive without it :P
Old 05-01-07, 12:41 PM
thekidline
Driver School Candidate

Question 1. Can't do it.

Welcome to CL but you should try a search on these topics since it has all been discussed.
OK, just did that, sorry, got a lot of responses, but luckily saw this...

"If you have the key in your pocket and accidentally "walk away" from the car with engine still on, car will still drive until the engine is turned off, then it will disable itself. So watch out at the valet station!"

So I guess that means that someone (or the valet) will be able to drive as far as they want until they stop the car or the gas runs out... not the greatest if the car should get lifted off the driveway when 'warming up' (it's cold up here in Canada and some people idle for a while, not me though... just a minute or less).

Do you think the statement above has been tested?... or was the response from a reliable source not needing verification, e.g. one of the Lexus technicians who knows for sure?
Old 05-01-07, 12:47 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=nabisco;2590665]Question 1. Can't do it.

QUOTE]

Exactly my answer!

There are some other Lex models with traditional keys (and remote within it) that allow to control openning windows and sunroof, but not on the IS.
Old 05-01-07, 01:56 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=josephdoc;2590777]
Question 1. Can't do it.

QUOTE]

Exactly my answer!

There are some other Lex models with traditional keys (and remote within it) that allow to control openning windows and sunroof, but not on the IS.
Huh....? We can opent the windows and the sunroof with our remotes... just cant close them...
Old 05-01-07, 02:06 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thekidline
So I guess that means that someone (or the valet) will be able to drive as far as they want until they stop the car or the gas runs out... not the greatest if the car should get lifted off the driveway when 'warming up' (it's cold up here in Canada and some people idle for a while, not me though... just a minute or less).

Why not lock the car while warming up the engine. Will the car be able to lock while the engine is running without the keys inside?
Old 05-01-07, 02:20 PM
Rasengan
Rookie

Originally Posted by r6z9r
Why not lock the car while warming up the engine. Will the car be able to lock while the engine is running without the keys inside?
nope...i have yet to figure out how to do this
Old 05-01-07, 02:22 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

It's about the level of a third grader.

Man third graders are stupid though...
Old 05-01-07, 05:02 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, you can lock the car while running, but you must have a key fob inside the car to do it. This has been discussed ad nauseum here. You can also find everything you ever wanted to know about the SmartKey here. I'd like to take this opportunity to extend a friendly invitation to all of our new members to use the search funtions found at the top of each page.

Javier
Old 05-01-07, 07:46 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One time my gf and i switched car and I forgot to give her the key but she drove away and the car didn't shut down. I had to meet up with her later to give her the keys. So there, it has been tested.
Old 05-02-07, 05:53 AM
thekidline
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Yes, you can lock the car while running, but you must have a key fob inside the car to do it. This has been discussed ad nauseum here. You can also find everything you ever wanted to know about the SmartKey here. I'd like to take this opportunity to extend a friendly invitation to all of our new members to use the search funtions found at the top of each page.

Javier
OK, thanks for the leader to those threads... checked them out and pretty much they answer both my questions, with lots of discussion. I get a little frustrated searching through threads to find stuff sometimes. I noticed you had some input to those discussions, and it was good. Thanks again.

Before I registered as a member, I was reading the threads of interest, but the 'search' function was not available... so that is part of the reason I didn't see those other posts earlier.

Funny story, my wife and I were about ready to buy a 325 or 330 and were on the way home. I ask her, "So are there any other cars you want to see?" She says to me, "Why don't we go to that place that starts with an "L"?" I said, "You mean, Lexus? OK, but that place sells comfortable cars for older people and they are all really expensive."

So we went, and saw, and bought!! Love at first site for both of us. Since then, we went to the Toronto International Autoshow and my wife could not believe how great this car looks and what it offers in comparison to all the other manufacturers out there. That's her opinion from a non-car person... I think that says a lot. Although, I am a little embarassed that I did not even know about the IS until I saw it in the showroom... pretty sad!
Old 05-02-07, 08:48 AM
TheSyndica
Driver

Question 1. Can't do it.

Why would you help him out, and then refer him to a search? So @#$@ing stupid...
Old 05-02-07, 09:08 AM
07-IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by TheSyndica
Why would you help him out, and then refer him to a search? So @#$@ing stupid...
Nabisco's reply was VERY helpful.

You sir, are a flaming a**h**e!

Quick Reply: How smart is the SmartKey?