IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 with Spacers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 03:42 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm confused why low-offset wheels wouldn't cause the same problems as spacers. (I hope they don't, though, cuz I'm taking the low-offset route, heh.)
low offset wheels, or using spacers both increase the track and scrub radius leading to increase wear on bearings and load on studs.

Good spacers that have built-in studs (like mine) will minimize this problem, but does not eliminated it.
Old 05-02-07, 05:25 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by is4fsr
...You don't want your wheels flying off the road or track coz doing this will put too much pressure on your bearings and LUG STUDS. Your studs might break (literally break/snap in half) and bye bye wheels.
Lobuxracer and Javier had a write up on this isuue - pros and cons so to speak.
There are a couple of issues at hand. First, traditional spacers like the ones pictured below, do not adequately support the weight of the vehicle.

Even these, with the extended studs built in, do not properly support the wieght of the vehicle:

Why? Because it is the hub of the vehicle that is intended to bear the weight, not the lugs. The lugs are supposed to do nothing more than attach the wheel to the hub. The inherent problem with spacers is that they occupy this hub space, leaving nothing for the wheel to rest on. If you don't have a proper hub on which to install the wheel, it doesn't matter what kind of spacers/adapters you have or whether they have lugs built-in or not - the weight of the vehicle is on the lugs, and that's a BIG NO-NO. How do you solve this problem? By making the adapter not only hub-centric, but wheel-centric as well, so the wheel rests on the hub of the vehicle, not the studs.

Originally Posted by neova
Other members on this forum who have spacers are using either the H&R spacer kits or some custom one-off kits.. They're both hub centric but they both don't come with built-in studs and require taking out the OEM studs with longer ones. The Project Kics spacers i'm using comes with built-in studs. Theses studs are the same length and industrial grade (or better) than the OEM version. I mount the spacer onto the OEM studs w/ special lug nuts, while my wheels mount onto the spacer's studs. So I have two sets of standard length spacers mounted and torqued to 75lb-ft to specifications, as compared to having one super long stud that is bearing the bulk of the weight only on its end...
It really doesn't matter if the wheel studs are built-in or not. All that does is make it easier to install, but it doesn't really make it "better." Actually, the increased unsprung weight from the extra studs and nuts I would definitely consider a negative. More important than having the studs built-in IMO is having an adapter that's hub- and wheel centric. In other words, the adapter rests on the hub of the vehicle, not the studs (hub-centric), and also has an extended hub "lip" on which to install the wheel so as to properly support the weight of the vehicle (wheel-centric).

Javier

Oh, by the way, neova - you need to drop that car! Looks great

Last edited by javyLSU; 05-02-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 05:47 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Javier

Thanx for the explanation. Yes i know the weight goes on the hub and it's a problem when it has to rely on just the studs. My rear spacers are hub and wheel centric, the fronts are wheel centric only (spacer to wheel) as it does not come with hubrings (Project Kics don't even make them for spacers less than 10mm saying it doesn't need it). So yes, your custom made ones with built in hubs are better, but too bad I don't live where you are..

thanks for the comments.. but even with the Sports suspension i'm finding it bumpy.. so i'm sticking with the lexus suspension. It looks fine in person, and i'm not in a show so i don't care if it doesn't look nice in photos...
Old 05-02-07, 07:37 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
There are a couple of issues at hand. First, traditional spacers like the ones pictured below, do not adequately support the weight of the vehicle.

Even these, with the extended studs built in, do not properly support the wieght of the vehicle:

Why? Because it is the hub of the vehicle that is intended to bear the weight, not the lugs. The lugs are supposed to do nothing more than attach the wheel to the hub. The inherent problem with spacers is that they occupy this hub space, leaving nothing for the wheel to rest on. If you don't have a proper hub on which to install the wheel, it doesn't matter what kind of spacers/adapters you have or whether they have lugs built-in or not - the weight of the vehicle is on the lugs, and that's a BIG NO-NO. How do you solve this problem? By making the adapter not only hub-centric, but wheel-centric as well, so the wheel rests on the hub of the vehicle, not the studs.

It really doesn't matter if the wheel studs are built-in or not. All that does is make it easier to install, but it doesn't really make it "better." Actually, the increased unsprung weight from the extra studs and nuts I would definitely consider a negative. More important than having the studs built-in IMO is having an adapter that's hub- and wheel centric. In other words, the adapter rests on the hub of the vehicle, not the studs (hub-centric), and also has an extended hub "lip" on which to install the wheel so as to properly support the weight of the vehicle (wheel-centric).

Javier

Like a great predator I know ur just waiting for the perfect time. Thanks again for the explanation. Really loved ur car the first time I saw it In Industry - was it 3/24? As always u seem to teach and explain rather than argue.
Old 09-20-07, 11:03 AM
Marwar80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
to me, not worth the safety risk. I looks fine without it.

You should put wheel spacers on your car! It would definately look better. Did you know that just about every aggressive looking Porsche out there have spacers on them? When was the last time you saw one missing a wheel?

Last edited by Marwar80; 09-20-07 at 11:24 AM.