Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

To Paint or Not to Paint...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 09:55 AM
ZD-Lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Paint or Not to Paint...

I have been a very proud owner of an IS350 since Jan '06. Been taking extra care of the car. Unfortunately, I have neglected adding a clear bra to my car (so much for my claim of taking care of my car ); this is due partly to the fact that I was reluctant thinking that installing the clear bra may give off a different reflection to the rest of the car finish and make it stand out, also the potential for installer-incompetence and ruining my car's finish played a roll among other things.
A year, 3 months and 14 days later, it pains me to look at my front bumper. It has more chips than I can even count. Everytime I clean her, I look away from the damage I have caused my car. I know I ought to be mature and accept that scratches are inevitable, but still...
Long story short, I would like your opinion on what best I should do in terms of damage control: To paint my front bumper or or leave it as is. I have fears that whoever paints the car is going to do a crappy job (even if they are recommended by the Lexus dealership) and my car will go from slightly scratched to horrendously color-mismatched.
I would like to hear from you in this matter as I respect the knowledge-base in this forum.

Regards
Old 05-02-07, 10:18 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I have the same issue. I guess it depends on what type of driving your do.

I do pretty much all of my driving on the interstate. A clear bra is not going to stop a rock chip, it will still happen. I think the bra is best for bugs.. from what I understand they slide right off! My front bumper is pretty mauled but I got over it the second time I washed my car. As long as there are no dings in the body of the car I'm happy. A bumper can be replaced... eventually.
Old 05-02-07, 10:27 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZD-Lexus
I have been a very proud owner of an IS350 since Jan '06. Been taking extra care of the car. Unfortunately, I have neglected adding a clear bra to my car (so much for my claim of taking care of my car ); this is due partly to the fact that I was reluctant thinking that installing the clear bra may give off a different reflection to the rest of the car finish and make it stand out, also the potential for installer-incompetence and ruining my car's finish played a roll among other things.
A year, 3 months and 14 days later, it pains me to look at my front bumper. It has more chips than I can even count. Everytime I clean her, I look away from the damage I have caused my car. I know I ought to be mature and accept that scratches are inevitable, but still...
Long story short, I would like your opinion on what best I should do in terms of damage control: To paint my front bumper or or leave it as is. I have fears that whoever paints the car is going to do a crappy job (even if they are recommended by the Lexus dealership) and my car will go from slightly scratched to horrendously color-mismatched.
I would like to hear from you in this matter as I respect the knowledge-base in this forum.

Regards
I would say just leave it as is, no matter how much stuff you do (even you got the clear bra, if you hit a "bigger" rock, it's still gonna chip/crack/dent/whatever).

I would just keep the $ for painting and use it for something else.....

just my $.01
Old 05-02-07, 10:35 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just got mine in december and i already want to repaint my front bumper too... too bad the "new" paint sucks... suppositly previous paints has something in it that was an environment hazard... the new paint is environment "friendly" but it sucks and is easier to chip.... i will be repainting mine in about a year... and clear bra-ing it... without a doubt. hood bumper and even my fenders look silly now
Old 05-02-07, 12:10 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The money you will spend on a clear bra you can paint the bumper twice. Unless you apply the film on the entire front end of the car, it is pointless and ugly. You will see the line where the clear bra ends and the color of the paint will be different on the part that is not protected due to UV. If and when it is too much to bear, paint the front. It will look better.
Old 05-02-07, 12:56 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was trying to make up my mind on what to do about my bumper, Its pretty ugly, i feel there is more chips daily. I was thinking of getting the bumper resprayed, then a nice clear coat thrown on the entire car with some kind of flakes in it. Lexus should just recall the paint and paint everyones car again. HEhe
Old 05-02-07, 01:01 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have Xpel on all my vehicles....great stuff. I'd rather have the line than all those rock chips. Sure, large rocks will still mark up anything, but for the regular protection, Xpel is the way to go.

Oh, after you paint it, you have to wait about a month for the paint to totally cured before you put any clear bra on.
Old 05-02-07, 01:04 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe see what a detailer can do (if anything) to make it better...
Old 05-02-07, 01:23 PM
04lrg
Driver

Originally Posted by Batmobile
i just got mine in december and i already want to repaint my front bumper too... too bad the "new" paint sucks... suppositly previous paints has something in it that was an environment hazard... the new paint is environment "friendly" but it sucks and is easier to chip.... i will be repainting mine in about a year... and clear bra-ing it... without a doubt. hood bumper and even my fenders look silly now
Is this the norm now? My 04 g35 had the worst paint ever...chips all over the hood/bumper. I read that the factory paint had the clear coat mixed in with the paint instead of spraying on separately, but not sure how true this is.
Old 05-02-07, 01:28 PM
lexem
Pole Position

I'm reallyglad I got my clear bra early
Old 05-02-07, 01:48 PM
trio
Driver

I'm debating that as we speak. I'll repair a chip or two every week or so just so it doesn't look horrible. Maybe in a year or so, I'll get it repainted...who knows.
Old 05-02-07, 02:55 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Is this the norm now? My 04 g35 had the worst paint ever...chips all over the hood/bumper. I read that the factory paint had the clear coat mixed in with the paint instead of spraying on separately, but not sure how true this is.
so what if when we repaint, and get the clear over the color? then is the clear bra not as necessary? None of my cars have chipped like this one has my 98 GS400 had less chips and it was 9 years old!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-07, 03:05 PM
illawgical
Driver

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Due to federal regulations, lead is no longer allowed in paints because of health hazards. Lead (from what i've been told) is what makes the paint a bit stronger. Now since it's no longer in the paint.. it's more susceptible to scratches and chips.

That being said.. I'd repaint the front bumper.. let it cure for a month (if you have a spare car to drive.. do so)... and then clear armor that bad boy.
Old 05-02-07, 03:18 PM
ZD-Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Maybe see what a detailer can do (if anything) to make it better...
I asked quite a few reputable detailers in the bay area (SF bay area) and non assured me that they can resolve the chipping without having to repaint the car. In fact the most common answer was that they have to 'blend' the new paint up to the fenders (i.e. well beyond the bumper) so that it makes the repainted segment less decernable.
Quite frankly that scares me from painting my bumper all together. I wish Lexus had a local factory paint service. Or that they would sell customers 'pre-painted' read to install bumpers. ~I like to dream a lot.
Old 05-02-07, 04:02 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

This new paint quality is a bunch of bull. Lovebug season just started this week in florida and already they are leaving small but permanent marks on my bumper from the impacts!

Quick Reply: To Paint or Not to Paint...