IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What amount of orange peel is acceptable on repainted door?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 03:44 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy What amount of orange peel is acceptable on repainted door?

I had my '06 IS350 in to fix the engine cranking noise last week. They kept it for 7 days. They fixed that problem but when I got it back there was a giant ding dead center of the passenger front door. The service mgr said they'd make it 100%. I left it there for 3 days. Got it back today. The door has been repainted but there is a significant amount of orange peel (my opinion). If you look at your reflection in the front door versus the back the outlines of your legs are mottled. He assured me that no corners were cut and that it was done at a considerable expense to the dealer. I'm sure that's the case.

Here's my question. What amount of orange peel should I reasonably expect? I know to the trained eye that it will always bear evidence of a repaint. But I don't know anything about painting and it's obvious to me that it has been repainted. Honestly, if I had known it would turn out like that I would have had them touch it up and then have a it wetsanded and buffed. I don't know if I'm being unreasonable or not. I'm looking for honest opinions here. Not "damn the dealer you should sue them" type posts. Never knew a ding on a car could make me so darn crabby.... I guess what I'm most frustrated about is the diminished resale value of the car. This is the first car that I'm not going to "run into the ground". I was planning on trading it in in about 4 years and moving to something even more powerful. Of course in 4 years, the difference will probably be negligible. Looking for advice.
Old 05-03-07, 03:48 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The repaint should not have any more orange peel than the factory finish, or it will stick out like a sore thumb. If the dealer tries to tell you that they can't fix it, tell them that you want them to pay for you to take it to someone that can. It's just pure laziness...they need to learn how to wetsand properly.
Old 05-03-07, 03:52 PM
j|michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation when my car was vandalized (crease in the step just below the window line). I noticed that there was more orange peel in the repaint than in the factory paint. I took it back to my body shop (which I highly esteem), and was told that the amount of orange peel is entirely based on the wetsand. Usually a body shop tries to match the 'orange peel' to that of the original paint, since all paint has at least a little texture to it. He said that they could very easily wetsand it to a finer texture to match it up.

Hopefully that helps.
Old 05-03-07, 04:01 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

What is "orange peel"???
Old 05-03-07, 04:15 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk
What is "orange peel"???
Sherwin Williams defines it as: "Paint film having an uneven texture that resembles the skin of an orange."

You'll find it to some extent on most automotive finishes, even ones from the factory. It's easier to see on dark colored cars.
Old 05-03-07, 04:25 PM
endollan
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed a lot orange peel on my factory colored "Smokey Granite Mica" car. But you have to look at it at an angle. I don't think I'll worry too much about it.
Old 05-03-07, 04:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

u should have them re-do it until you are happy about it....no exceptions!
Old 05-03-07, 05:06 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8
u should have them re-do it until you are happy about it....no exceptions!
yep!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-07, 05:17 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

orange peel can be removed by wet sanding and buffing with 3M's buffing compound. No need to repaint. Now, "fish eyes" are a bigger problem to fix. A good detailer can remove the orange peel. You don't want to remove too much because it will not match the rest of the car.
Old 05-03-07, 05:19 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Zero, I would take it back and complain.
Old 05-03-07, 05:36 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
orange peel can be removed by wet sanding and buffing with 3M's buffing compound. No need to repaint. Now, "fish eyes" are a bigger problem to fix. A good detailer can remove the orange peel. You don't want to remove too much because it will not match the rest of the car.
Hmm.... haven't heard of "fish eyes", DJ. If I had to name the issue I have right now I think that "fish eyes" might be a better characterization. To the other poster that said his factory finish has orange peel, that is to be expected. A small amount is standard. But the difference between a factory painted panel and the one that was just repainted is truly night and day. Very frustrating... First they had to rip my cam shaft out to fix that darn startup noise and now I have to deal with this.

I don't think wet sanding on top of clear will fix the issue. I believe the issu is with the opaque paint underneath, not the clear on top. Am I right in saying that they'd have to repaint, wet sand, then clear on top to fix?
Old 05-03-07, 06:56 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

As long as it matches than youre good, if not bring it back.
Old 05-03-07, 07:27 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Hmm.... haven't heard of "fish eyes", DJ. If I had to name the issue I have right now I think that "fish eyes" might be a better characterization. To the other poster that said his factory finish has orange peel, that is to be expected. A small amount is standard. But the difference between a factory painted panel and the one that was just repainted is truly night and day. Very frustrating... First they had to rip my cam shaft out to fix that darn startup noise and now I have to deal with this.

I don't think wet sanding on top of clear will fix the issue. I believe the issu is with the opaque paint underneath, not the clear on top. Am I right in saying that they'd have to repaint, wet sand, then clear on top to fix?
no DJ is right.. orange peel is in the clear coat. wetsanding and buffing smoothes the surface. i had my door repainted and my body shop was more concerned about having enough orange peel to match the factory paint. nearly every mass produced car has orange peel in the paint.
Old 05-03-07, 08:15 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

What was the issue with your engine cranking noise? I don't recall if you told us in another thread.
Old 05-03-07, 08:37 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

pics please

Quick Reply: What amount of orange peel is acceptable on repainted door?