IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wiring harness extension piece for NAV hack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 12:58 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wiring harness extension piece for NAV hack

Okay guys, I have relooked through this entire thread yesterday and today and cant seem to find what I was looking for, so Im thinking maybe it was in another thread. Can someone help me find it or tell me where to get what Im looking for?

I could have sworn someone posted a picture of what looked to be simply a wiring harness extension for the harness that all three of the nav hack required wires are in. What Im thinking is if that really was an extension I saw, I could put that in place, hack, splice and tap all the wires I want on the extension piece and if in the end It doesnt work or I dont like it all I have to do is remove that extension section and Im back to stock.

Anyone know what Im talking about or am I just making stuff up and wishful thinking? Or if such a device has not been talked about, does anyone know where I could get that extension for the wiring harness? Thanks everyone!
Old 05-04-07, 01:06 PM
khangaroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I remember someone was saying it would be nice to have such a thing but I dont think that there is one. I'm waiting for someone to come up with this "extension" also before i do my hack.
Old 05-04-07, 01:36 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Well if I remember correctly Tom's version of the IS350 had on his website (Or i saw a like to it or a pic posted from it) of the extension with the hack already applied that you could buy and just place in between the NAV unit and the incoming wiring harness and then the nav hack was done... But I dont know that anyone bought it.
Old 05-04-07, 01:48 PM
04lrg
Driver

Are you referring to site thread....too bad its only for the prius

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=prius
Old 05-04-07, 03:31 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Are you referring to site thread....too bad its only for the prius

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=prius
Well that wasnt it, but it was something like that however that one wont work with our car.... Man.. i wish I could get my hands on whatever Id need to make the damn extension cable.
Old 05-04-07, 04:37 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

You can call vaistech, see if the can provide you some connector. If they can you can make your own cable.
Old 08-14-07, 12:43 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
You can call vaistech, see if the can provide you some connector. If they can you can make your own cable.
Yea, that would be better, but where would I find the male and female connectors as well as the pins and a crimper for the pins?
Old 08-14-07, 12:46 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Anyone have the installation guide or wiring guide for how the VAIStech SLI iPod unit showing how it is connected to everything?

I am asking because I am wondering if those wiring harnesses that come with it can be used as "extension" pieces and then used for the nav hack. Basically if they can be purchased separately, installed inline with the existing wiring in the back of the nav unit so they act as simply wire extensions, I can do the nav have (cut and splices) to those wires without voiding my warranty as I could just remove that wire harness piece and go back to stock.
Old 08-14-07, 03:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i recall what you are talking about adn thought i saw that photo as well. i think someone was selling it on Ebay but no one knew if it worked.

ben_r please let me know if you find someone to do this or the part. i will go in with you as i dont want to hack the wires also being i am in a lease car i just want to unplug when done and say here you go or be able to disconnect and go back to stock if there is ever any problems....

pm me please if someone is willing to make it for our car. good idea!
Old 08-14-07, 03:27 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
i recall what you are talking about adn thought i saw that photo as well. i think someone was selling it on Ebay but no one knew if it worked.

ben_r please let me know if you find someone to do this or the part. i will go in with you as i dont want to hack the wires also being i am in a lease car i just want to unplug when done and say here you go or be able to disconnect and go back to stock if there is ever any problems....

Im looking as deeply as I can into, and just me, if I find a way, there will be a DIY thread on it with all the details. You guys know I am many things, but NEVER stingy with information!
Old 08-14-07, 04:41 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2

Me three......... eventhough i'm not leasing but still don't want to hack my wires.
What about car audio install shop do you think that they'll have a wire harnest that will fit the clip?
Old 08-14-07, 05:05 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

The connectors have to be available somewhere. I've seen similar ones at DigiKey or Newark In One. The pins can be had quite easily. It's the housing/connector that might be a little tricky if it was made specially for the Nav unit.
Old 08-14-07, 06:12 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdanon
The connectors have to be available somewhere. I've seen similar ones at DigiKey or Newark In One. The pins can be had quite easily. It's the housing/connector that might be a little tricky if it was made specially for the Nav unit.
Yes and on top of that we'd have to find both the female and the male end to make an extension cable. We only have one end in the car and I cant even find that one anywhere. I did find some interesting docs from toyota on taking apart connectors like the J50 one, which could be useful too. If we cant figure out a way to create an extension then maybe we can just pull the two pins out and hook them together in a way that is easy to undo in case we have to go back to stock.
Old 08-14-07, 06:33 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Anyone have, seen, know of, or can take a couple close up shots of the P1 and/or J50 connector?
Old 08-14-07, 06:40 PM
mantrasia
Driver School Candidate

count me in on wanting this as well....that'd be an awesome thing to have (dont wanna hack my wires...leasing)

Quick Reply: Wiring harness extension piece for NAV hack