IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Mark Levinson worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 10:41 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I believe the amp is in the trunk... Under the lining either on the right side bottom or wall...
The ML amp is on the right side under the plastic tray. Just pull it up and you'll see the amp with the ML logo on it.
Old 05-07-07, 10:43 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's worth it, especially if you go the Nav route as it seems harder to incorporate an aftermarket system to one with the factory Nav. The problem is finding a dealer with one in stock. When we were shopping for the IS250, we couldn't find ANY ML packages for over a month.
Old 05-07-07, 12:33 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a es350 with ML and the ML wasnt impressive at all.
Old 05-07-07, 12:44 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is such a subjective question...What's good for one person may not be good for another.

If you can, check out the ML system in person for yourself and then decide if you can wait or whether it's even worth the wait. You may not be able to find the ML in the IS on the lot but try the GS or LS. Also make sure that when you test it out that there's a CD in the player that is in DTS or Dolby or 5.1 surround sound format. The ML won't be at its full potential if you're listening to just a regular CD.

With that said, I absolutely love the ML. Don't regret getting it one bit.
Old 05-07-07, 02:04 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
This is such a subjective question...What's good for one person may not be good for another.

Sexi Lexi sums it the best. It is such a Subjective issue.

It really only matters to each individual. If it sounds good to you, then that is all that really matters. Personally, I'm not going to sit in my car and watch a movie or music videos. It's a cool feature, no question, but when I'm on the road, I'm too distracted by other things to listen to 5.1 audio or much less watch a movie.

Don't get me wrong, I love quality audio, and everyone that has the ML stereo, there is no question it is the best system.

I'd be interested to see how many people actually spend time in there cars actually watching the movie, especially the ones that have done the DVD hack while driving. Just curious.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 05-07-07, 02:54 PM
Mike V

I special ordered a Red IS350 with lux/18" wheels, spoiler, ML, and ((XM)). I did not order the NAV as I usually know were I am going at age 54, and I can read a map. Sorry to everyone that thinks I am a " RETIRESAURUS" but I can't see spending over 2K for a toy I will not use. I think adding the ML and the XM at the factory removes the chances of an "unqualified" installer disassembling my interior and splicing into the wire loom to install aftermarket equipment that may or may not void my Lexus warrenty depending on the mood of the service writer. This is not a slam to installers or service writers, but think of the car as you would your body. . . the less times you "operate" on it ...the less mistakes will be made. Leave it to the factory to engineer the locations for all components including wiring and insulation to reduce rattles and stop any chance of wire chaffing and shorts later.

My curent Lexus, an '92 SC400, has 209K miles and it runs great! I searched hi and low to find a 400 with Nakamichi system. It was well worth the seach.

Buy the way, I do alter my rides, but methodically..
My '02 Corvette,= West Coast Corvette Champ....

Mike V

Last edited by Mike V; 05-07-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-07-07, 03:27 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by Mike V
Buy the way, I do alter my rides, but methodically,
'02 Corvette, West Coast Corvette Champ....

Mike V
Mike,

What do you think of the new Vette's? From the front, they remind me a lot of Ferrari's 360 Modena. I love that car. Do you see the 350 as more of an "around town" car?

That's great you retired at 54! I'm heading there.

Take care!

Old Oiler
Old 05-07-07, 03:37 PM
Mike V

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
Mike,

What do you think of the new Vette's? From the front, they remind me a lot of Ferrari's 360 Modena. I love that car. Do you see the 350 as more of an "around town" car?

That's great you retired at 54! I'm heading there.

Take care!

Old Oiler
Hi Oiler,

Really I hated the front of the C6. I think my first quote was " It looks like a Viper with braces!" It did make the car more "slick" but at wait cost? The new '08 has a 6.2 L, 436Hp engine, with a top speed of 190MPH. Cost efficent @ about 40K for a bare bones car. As far as an around town car, it is as sooth as you can get for that kind of HP!. Go drive one. If you are looking right now you can pick one up for about 7K off of MSRP for an '07.

Mike V
Old 05-07-07, 04:11 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Mike,

I'll always have an affinity for Corvettes. My first car off to college was a white 79' vette with navy interior. I worked my tail off to get that thing and man did I think I was hot when I had it!

I quickly found out, I wasn't, by some people!

I though long and hard about a new one when getting the Lexus, but I put practicality over a two seater at this point.

You know, you'll have to keep that 92' SC400 forever at this point with that amount of miles on it. Heck I would. Sometimes things like become like a really good pair of old boots. If they were good to begin with and they fit right, they just become like a glove. Even if you never wear them, it's hard to part with them.

It's not a surprise that Toyota has become number one with their quality.

Take care, Mike.

Old Oiler,

Chevron on the way to 100!