Is Mark Levinson worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 05:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Is Mark Levinson worth it?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and looking to pick up an IS350 in a few weeks and I just had a quick question. My local dealer has a 350 with the premium pkg in the color combo I want, but would have to special order the luxury package. The only option that I care about that is included in the luxury package is the ML system. So my question is, is the upgrade from the base sound system to the ML all that great?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-06-07, 07:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea it is, I bought ML so I dont have to mod it with aftermarket and keep it under factory warranty
Old 05-06-07, 07:32 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i could do it all over again, i would get ML.
Old 05-06-07, 07:46 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vApor21
if i could do it all over again, i would get ML.
Same...I wish I could watch DVD's in my car .
Old 05-06-07, 07:49 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joonsta
Same...I wish I could watch DVD's in my car .
I think people have figured out how to do this without ML, but i believe the price to get this done was really high. $800~ im not sure tho.
Old 05-06-07, 10:21 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

ML is a very… very reputable brand, only few brands that I know of are ranked higher (such as B&O). So you do expect exceptional audiophilic quality… unfortunately that’s not what you get. I have had BOSE Systems with less speakers and more superior output & control over that output. And it makes perfect sense because (here in Saudi) the difference in the price between the (ML+Navi+Spoiler) and w/o them was 3,500$. I am not sure how much does each of these options cost alone but I would take an educated guess and say that the ML costs no more than 1,000$ so I would say that this is an entry level Mark Levinson sound system.

The ML gives you a very good OEM sound system and there is no need for the hassle of installing aftermarket gadgets that might look like they don’t belong in there. Plus you can perform the hack and watch DVDs

Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-07-07, 04:59 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I think the ML system is worth it if you do not plan to mod it. It is very good for an OEM system.
Old 05-07-07, 06:37 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

The stock system is quite good... In fact, if you are upgrading from a low to medium end car, then you will probably think it is an amazing sound system. However, admittedly it does leave something to be desired if you are coming from a 'premium' sound system in your current vehicle.

If you can handle waiting the 3+ months... go for the ML. I couldn't wait for this long (not bc I'm impatient but because I was going to be w/o a car if I waited). So, I got the stock system and I have every intention of upgrading it one of these days. I really could care less about the watching of DVDs so my upgrade should be relatively simple. I just plan to upgrade the speakers (to Boston Acoustics??) and the amp. I'm not going to be adding a sub or anything like others in this forum have done. The bass is just fine for my tastes.

So, while we're on that subject... obviously speakers can be changed out easily. But, what about the amp that powers the speakers? Where is it located? Is it as simple as taking out the old one and putting in a new one? Or, is the amp built into the head unit (I have NAV)?? Does one amplifier power all 13 speakers (including the sub). And, what about the crossovers for the component speakers in the doors... where are those located?

I did a search and found all sorts of threads for "aftermarket setups". But, all of these were for adding subs in the trunk, etc etc. None were a "how to" on simply upgrading the stock speakers themselves. Does such a post exist anywhere?

Last edited by RamshakleZ; 05-07-07 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 06:59 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered ML and it was worth the wait. If possible go for ML.
Old 05-07-07, 07:57 AM
is_elf
Driver

I have listened to the ML system and it sounds good. But it is not for me. I do not need NAV, and I do not the way it is integrated into the dash. Plus I knew I wanted after market...so I didn't want to waste my time with the ML system. Like said it sounds good but it has more than I wanted or needed.
Old 05-07-07, 08:11 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Some guy did a very indepth review here not too long ago on the comparison between the stock system and the Mark Levinson system. It's one of the best and non biased reviews I've read. Basically, the stock system is well regarded also.

I see many posts here on the value of the higher end ML system and I think it is very good, but I'm not sure that everyone here realizes that this is Mark Levinson in name only. If you want to see the "real" Mark Levinson, go here to this site. www.redrosemusic.com (Levinson founded Cello prior to Red Rose) I don't think you're going to find car systems from any of the "high end" audio manufacturers, at least that I know of at this point.

Mark Levinson sold his company to Madrigal Audio Labs years ago and Madrigal was bought by the Harman International Group. (Harmon Kardon ring a bell?)

I have a B&O system at home and while the quality is very good, I can not call Bang & Olufsen true "High End" audio either. It's good, but not that good.

Check out Krell, Classe, Pass Labs, Wilson Audio, (Bryston is on the good side also) and you're starting to approach the "esoteric" side of highend audio and this is just to name a few of them. Oh, and I have'nt even broached the cable market yet. Here are some speaker cables for you at 25K.

www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/kimber.htm

The majority of the high end brands, the general public has never even heard of. It's amazing how many people think Bose and the systems at you local best buy and so forth are "high end".

So, to everyone that has the ML system in your Lexus, it is certainly the best available, but to everyone that has the "stock Pioneer" system, well, you've got a system that is hands down better than any system in any other make of automobile out there also, in my humble opinion. And no, Bose is not highend.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 05-07-07, 09:30 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

I like mine. Love the fact that it took a 20 min mod to enable DVD play back.
Old 05-07-07, 10:06 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
So, while we're on that subject... obviously speakers can be changed out easily. But, what about the amp that powers the speakers? Where is it located? Is it as simple as taking out the old one and putting in a new one? Or, is the amp built into the head unit (I have NAV)?? Does one amplifier power all 13 speakers (including the sub). And, what about the crossovers for the component speakers in the doors... where are those located?
I believe the amp is in the trunk... Under the lining either on the right side bottom or wall...
Old 05-07-07, 10:08 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I Got ML and I love it. I dont plan on modding the sound system so it works for me
Old 05-07-07, 10:38 AM
mt1
Rookie

I don't claim to be an audiophile, but I am glad that I went for the ML. It sounds pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: Is Mark Levinson worth it?