IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does the position of the Speedometer/Tachometer bother you

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 10:28 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm... i never put my hand that far across the wheel to block my view of the tach or spedo when i drive with one hand, so no complaints for me. Its usually on the 10 or 12 position. And i dont really think one needs to pay attention to the tach when your driving an automatic. If your worried about the speed I know one can change the small info screen in the cluster to show your speed. And i think if one knows their car enough they can just listen to the engine to know when to shift.
Old 05-06-07, 10:29 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
I drive at 10 - 2 and I still find that there is a flow in the gauges cluster design. The problem is that as you adjust the steering wheel, the top end of the steering column could cover the top/sides of the gauges. I wish they did it like in the G35 telescoping thing where the steering column and the gauges are synchronized so that each tilt of the wheel has a corresponding gauges movement that maximizes the view and readability of the gauges.
seems like something I would really utilize

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Well with me i usually know how fast im driving but i think they should of put another option where you can change the center screen where u diplay the tank avg. etc to ur speed. I think that wouldve been more convienient for people who drive with thier hands at 12'o clock
A digital speed counter for some people would seem redundant but for me, if I could put it along side the tank range approx, I'd totally

Originally Posted by intrinsic
hmm... i never put my hand that far across the wheel to block my view of the tach or spedo when i drive with one hand, so no complaints for me. Its usually on the 10 or 12 position. And i dont really think one needs to pay attention to the tach when your driving an automatic. If your worried about the speed I know one can change the small info screen in the cluster to show your speed. And i think if one knows their car enough they can just listen to the engine to know when to shift.
my hand is really at the 12 oclock position, its just the steering wheel is slighty rotated giving the look like I'm driving at the 2 oclock position with my left hand
Old 05-06-07, 10:35 PM
neova
Pole Position

what's the BIG deal? Your friends need to learn how to drive properly, not lexus! If you're going to drive with one hand on the steering wheel, at least have the left hand at the 10 o'clock position!
Old 05-06-07, 10:45 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Whe i first got my car and i was messing around with the center screen between the speedo and tach the first thing that came acroos my head was if they had a counter for you spped. i know it would ve been stupid to put it there but it couldve been a option over the other ones you have like tank avg.
Old 05-06-07, 11:52 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I have no problem with the position of the gauges... I know how to drive
Old 05-06-07, 11:57 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i drive w/ my hand on 10 and 2 (and not the one-handed gangsta lean), so i have no problems w/ the positino of the speedo/tach.
Old 05-07-07, 12:09 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

i think an afermarket HUD unit will sovle this problem. pretty neat looking. im looking atg one right now

http://www.racerwheel.com/xko-defi-df05703-3596.html
Old 05-07-07, 12:41 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe Julez, I drive the same way you do or what your picture shows. But I dont mind lifting my arms to do a little peek at the speedo. That's only on local or when im just cruising on the freeway, other than that, I go 3 and 9.
Old 05-07-07, 01:03 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how you can say your hand is at the 12 position, cause in the picture it's clearly to the far right, even though your steering wheel is turned. Cause your third picture is where 12 o' clock should be.

I usually drive with either my hand at the 12 position, or at 9 o' clock position.

To answer your question, the gauges are perfectly fine the way it is.

You need to stop your gangsta lean, it's bad for your back. LOL.

I'm having a mental image of your seating position. Sooo, is your head barely sticking above the top of the door? Or is your head covered by the B Pillar? Or...Or.....is your head visible from the back window?
Old 05-07-07, 01:52 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
I don't know how you can say your hand is at the 12 position, cause in the picture it's clearly to the far right, even though your steering wheel is turned. Cause your third picture is where 12 o' clock should be.
I think because I was taking a picture, I didn't have my hand at the spot that I drive, but the camera angle is too low, my head is probably 6 inches higher than where I took the picture at, so my arm does factor in.

I usually drive with either my hand at the 12 position, or at 9 o' clock position.
I tried driving with only my left hand at 9 or ten and I was thinking "how can I grip this thing comfortably?" Do I stick my middle finger, ring finger, and thump on the horn, and the other two in the finger slot? Riding at 12 oclock gives my arm a break from the awkwardness of holding it at 9 or 10.

To answer your question, the gauges are perfectly fine the way it is.
I honestly don't have a problem with them.

You need to stop your gangsta lean, it's bad for your back. LOL.
I should take a picture of my seat. It's not really that bad.

I'm having a mental image of your seating position. Sooo, is your head barely sticking above the top of the door? Or is your head covered by the B Pillar? Or...Or.....is your head visible from the back window?
haha that reminds me, some people that can look out their back windows at me, when they ridin' in their MBz, and I'm like daymn. Actually my face is in front of the B-pillar because I'm always *****in about the fact we don't have the extender like the GS.
Old 05-28-07, 06:52 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sm0k3Diss
i think an afermarket HUD unit will sovle this problem. pretty neat looking. im looking atg one right now

http://www.racerwheel.com/xko-defi-df05703-3596.html
did u go through with ur plan?.....let us know...i was thinking about getting one as well....some how place it where the center speaker (for me) should be goes..
Old 05-28-07, 07:08 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ROFL... this is a good thread, pssh who cares about the speedo anywayz, its the tach thats most important, as for your hands at 12... you dont see M.Shumacher driving his Ferrari 248 with his hand at 12... so why should you?
Old 05-28-07, 09:28 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you just need to quit eating taco bell or whatever you are eating.

your forearm is big man(that aint muscle either). if you had less weight there you would see more of your panel.
Old 05-28-07, 09:34 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i only drive 1 handed on local. highways....i use 2 hands for more control so i can smoke everyone on the road.
Old 05-29-07, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had a choice, the gauges would look like this:

Left speedometer, reversed right tachometer.

Quick Reply: Does the position of the Speedometer/Tachometer bother you