IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does the position of the Speedometer/Tachometer bother you

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 07:20 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does the position of the Speedometer/Tachometer bother you

Especially if you drive with one hand near the top of the steering wheel, your arm tends to block your speedometer.

I'm guessing Lexus didn't want to switch it for the states.

I don't recall any other car, even Lexus' for that matter that have the speedometer to the left and the tach to the right.

I usually drive with my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, so it doesn't bother me, but a few of my friends always gripe about it when they drive it and when I do drive like that I tend to notice I have to lift my left arm up just to look at my speed, and with only the 20,40,60 numbers it's easy to be going 15 over and not even know it.

Last edited by Julez; 05-06-07 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 07:49 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.

Because you're supposed to be seeing the tach through the steering wheel, not over it.
Old 05-06-07, 08:05 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Maybe in a manual I can see where you would be coming from but in an automatic? The GS has the speedometer in the middle and the tach to the right so you can see both. The G35 has the speedometer on the right. The IS has all the gauge icons in the middle so the spacing between the two might bother people.
Old 05-06-07, 08:06 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

why not just tilt the steering wheel if you can't see it?
Old 05-06-07, 08:18 PM
RLL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW has the speedometer to the left.
Old 05-06-07, 08:21 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iskcon
why not just tilt the steering wheel if you can't see it?
Here are some pics

How I/friends would normally drive

When we want to check speed, we need to lift up arm, gets old after awhile

You recommend this?
Old 05-06-07, 08:21 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the big deal here anyway?
Old 05-06-07, 08:28 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate

I guess Lexus intended for everyone to have their hands at that 10 and 2 position like you "should", judging by the thumbrests at 10 and 2.
Old 05-06-07, 08:36 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bnet504
I guess Lexus intended for everyone to have their hands at that 10 and 2 position like you "should", judging by the thumbrests at 10 and 2.
I wouldn't agree with that, having both arms extended on the steering wheel can lock up your arms and people drive manuals everyday with one hand, so its pretty much the norm not the exception. I mean, why else do the wood steering wheels have hand grips on the top?

Looks like no one knows where I am coming from or cares, oh well

Last edited by Julez; 05-06-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 08:42 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

why do you put your hand all the way up there? you must be leaning a lot or something. anyways, it's safest if you have your hands on 3 and 9.
Old 05-06-07, 08:52 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acl15
why do you put your hand all the way up there? you must be leaning a lot or something. anyways, it's safest if you have your hands on 3 and 9.
I have the steering wheel almost all the way down, so its not like my arm is above my head or anything. It is just where I like it(like sticking arm out straight and driving). But I have the seat leaned back a lot which is why the steering wheel is almost on the lowest setting it can go(fully extended outwards too).
Old 05-06-07, 08:59 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Julez
I have the steering wheel almost all the way down, so its not like my arm is above my head or anything. It is just where I like it(like sticking arm out straight and driving). But I have the seat leaned back a lot which is why the steering wheel is almost on the lowest setting it can go(fully extended outwards too).
Ok, the optimal seating position isn't "leaned back a lot."

If I recall correctly, the best seating angle for driving is 110 degrees, and if you're to use one hand to steer, it should be at the 10 o'clock position.

I sometimes drive one handed with my other hand on the shift **** as well, and I can see both the speedometer and tachometer perfectly.

It's all about the seating position, I think.

You have to sit closer to the steering wheel, so that you feel engaged in your driving.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by joonsta; 05-06-07 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 10:01 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I drive at 10 - 2 and I still find that there is a flow in the gauges cluster design. The problem is that as you adjust the steering wheel, the top end of the steering column could cover the top/sides of the gauges. I wish they did it like in the G35 telescoping thing where the steering column and the gauges are synchronized so that each tilt of the wheel has a corresponding gauges movement that maximizes the view and readability of the gauges.
Old 05-06-07, 10:08 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Well with me i usually know how fast im driving but i think they should of put another option where you can change the center screen where u diplay the tank avg. etc to ur speed. I think that wouldve been more convienient for people who drive with thier hands at 12'o clock
Old 05-06-07, 10:27 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Well with me i usually know how fast im driving but i think they should of put another option where you can change the center screen where u diplay the tank avg. etc to ur speed. I think that wouldve been more convienient for people who drive with thier hands at 12'o clock
agreed.

Actually I was/am considering installing a Head-Up Display (HUD) but I can't seem to find one that I like.

Quick Reply: Does the position of the Speedometer/Tachometer bother you