IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting my TPMS programmed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 10:09 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my TPMS programmed

I just bought a set of used TPMS sensors off of 2005 SC430, which I am planning to use them on my second set of wheels.
I was wondering if anyone know if there is a fixed price what the dealer charges to program them or does it vary from dealer to dealer? If anyone can tell me how much I should expect to pay, that would help.
I did search, and I only could find the charge including mounting and balancing. Thank you.
Old 05-07-07, 10:31 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself, its in the manual! VERY EASY!
Old 05-07-07, 10:58 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

sc430 will not work on IS. you need the ones for 06 or 07 depending on when your car was manufactured
Old 05-07-07, 02:18 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sinister2c
sc430 will not work on IS. you need the ones for 06 or 07 depending on when your car was manufactured
Are you sure about that?
Old 05-07-07, 02:36 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Do it yourself, its in the manual! VERY EASY!
I may be wrong on this but I thought you had to have the dealer do it. You have to program the serial numbers of the TPMS to the car ECU. I'm not aware of you being able to do this yourself... the only thing you can do yourself is set the desired pressure and which TPMS sensors to use.
Old 05-07-07, 04:43 PM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by teejnut
I may be wrong on this but I thought you had to have the dealer do it. You have to program the serial numbers of the TPMS to the car ECU. I'm not aware of you being able to do this yourself... the only thing you can do yourself is set the desired pressure and which TPMS sensors to use.
This is a good question that I would also like answered. I was told that the TPMS had to be programmed by the dealer. I have also never read my manual
I know in the information screen you can select 1 or 2 for TPMS but I see nothing about programing it.
Old 05-07-07, 07:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I believe teejnut is right, the dealer has to enter the serial numbers with the scan tool. Obviously that means you want to record the serial numbers before you mount the tires on the rims.
Old 05-07-07, 08:06 PM
zoomtt
Rookie

I have a second set of tires with TPMS. Here is what I had to do:

Write down the serial number before mounting the PACIFIC brand sensors. In my car here is the setup

Tire Pressure Sensor numbers

(2nd set NEW)
Right Front Sensor
88A00F7

Left Front Sensor
899A0F7

Right Rear Sensor
B7EF0F7

Left Rear Sensor
8AFD0F7

(1st Set Main)
ID1 Code
3F231E3

ID2 Code
05C31E3

ID3 Code
FF241E2

ID4 Code
06121E3

I gave this list to Newport Lexus and told them to program it like this. I got the original main set numbers from the ECU scan from another dealer. Trust me, many dealers are confused that the car has a 2nd set option, they kept on insisting to wipe out the main set. Anyways, Newport Lexus did the job for free. (I did not purchase the car from them)
Old 05-08-07, 06:34 AM
threeputt
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I just purchased new wheels and TPMS sensors, the dealer set them up as the secondary set. I had the sensors and wheels installed at a local shop, wrote down the numbers and the matching tire and the Lexus dealer entered them into the on board computer.
Old 05-08-07, 10:20 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mctuners
Are you sure about that?
yes 100% sure.
Old 05-09-07, 12:03 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by threeputt
I just purchased new wheels and TPMS sensors, the dealer set them up as the secondary set. I had the sensors and wheels installed at a local shop, wrote down the numbers and the matching tire and the Lexus dealer entered them into the on board computer.
Do you know how much you paid for having the sensors programmed?
Old 05-09-07, 01:08 PM
totoro1224
Driver

Default Tpms

I went to the dealer yesterday and turned off the DRL and programmed 2nd set of TPMS. You will have to use their computer and connect to your OBD system. The TPMS registration will give you 5 mins to input all 4 sensor code into the database. I got a set of TPMS from a Toyota which made by Pacific and it works. On the computer screen, you can see the sensor ID, temperature, pressure off each sensor, including the spare tire, and you can also program a certain pressure point to set off the Low Tires Pressure warning. So you can just grab a set of TPMS off of a Toyota as well to save some $.
Old 05-12-07, 06:18 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by totoro1224
I went to the dealer yesterday and turned off the DRL and programmed 2nd set of TPMS. You will have to use their computer and connect to your OBD system. The TPMS registration will give you 5 mins to input all 4 sensor code into the database. I got a set of TPMS from a Toyota which made by Pacific and it works. On the computer screen, you can see the sensor ID, temperature, pressure off each sensor, including the spare tire, and you can also program a certain pressure point to set off the Low Tires Pressure warning. So you can just grab a set of TPMS off of a Toyota as well to save some $.

This is very helpful information. Now, we can some money by using Toyota TPMS sensors instead of high priced Lexus ones. Thank you!
Old 05-12-07, 06:19 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

I have one more question for you. Do you think the dealer will program my sensors when I just take the sensors with me not mounted on the wheels and tires?
Old 05-12-07, 07:19 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by mctuners
I have one more question for you. Do you think the dealer will program my sensors when I just take the sensors with me not mounted on the wheels and tires?
They can but they may be hesitant because there will be no way for them to confirm they are functioning once they are registered into the ECU. Are not not planning on having Lexus mount them? If not, the dealer may also not warranty this because if there is an issue that is found only after these sensors get mounted to the wheels there is no way to know if the place that mounted the tire/sensors did not cause the damage.

To make things easier for you, I would recommend having Lexus or Toyota intially mount the sensors to the wheels and program them. When times comes to replace your tires in the future you can take them anywhere you choose since they are already registered and installed (and known to work).

Quick Reply: Getting my TPMS programmed