IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Window Tint/Door Panel Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 05:57 PM
iStyle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint/Door Panel Removal Question

Can anyone recommend a good place for window tinting in the NY area? I'm located in southern Westchester.

A good friend of mine recommended a place in Irvington called Eagle. They remove all door panels to tint the entire window (rather than just tinting the visible part of the window). They gave me an estimate of $225 (which I'm willing to pay), but I'm a bit hesitant about having them remove each of my door panels. Supposedly doing so greatly reduces the likelihood of the tint peeling off. Is door panel removal a normal procedure for window tinting? I've heard great things about the place, but I wouldn't want them screwing anything up behind the door panel regardless.

TIA.

IStyle
Old 05-08-07, 05:59 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had to remove mine to tint them. Cost me 350. Id say make sure they have actually done an IS before and make sure you believe them so they arent just learning on your car. The price is pretty good though.
Old 05-08-07, 06:44 PM
neil0311
Rookie

I've had many vehicles tinted in nearly 25 years owning cars, including my IS250, and door panels have never had to be removed. Most skilled tinters can do the job quickly and correctly without needing to remove the panels. I've never had tint peel or anything like that, but I'm sure if it's not done correctly peeling can happen.

My IS cost me $180 for all 4 doors, rear, and moonroof. This was the third car he's done for me, and I saw pix of other IS's he did before he did mine. Can your tinter show you pix of other cars he's done, including other IS models? If not, I'd keep looking.

Last edited by neil0311; 05-08-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 07:02 PM
carenthus
Driver

The tint done on my car did not required taking off any door panels. I had all four doors and the rear windshield done. After four years, the tint is still in perfect condition. Just make sure to check that the black plastic along the windows are push back to their normal position after tinting. On my car, some areas weren't push back properly. I didn't realized this until three years later. I have pull it back out, but the bended area look warped now.
Old 05-08-07, 07:05 PM
br3akenout
Pole Position

well if you're close enough to jersey. I went to a place called "top of the line" The first 2 IS' he had he had to remove the panels but on mine he figured out how to do it without removing them. I got it done for about 280, although he might've raised it, not sure.

their website is topofthelinetint.com

he gets a lot of high profile clients - does a lot of exotic cars so don't be surprised if you see him finishing up one if/when you bring yours in.

Does an EXTREMELY good job and i highly recommend him =)
Old 05-08-07, 08:24 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by br3akenout
well if you're close enough to jersey. I went to a place called "top of the line" The first 2 IS' he had he had to remove the panels but on mine he figured out how to do it without removing them. I got it done for about 280, although he might've raised it, not sure.

their website is topofthelinetint.com

he gets a lot of high profile clients - does a lot of exotic cars so don't be surprised if you see him finishing up one if/when you bring yours in.

Does an EXTREMELY good job and i highly recommend him =)
Thanks. I'll consider getting my tints from him since I want them done soon. What's his name by the way?
Old 05-08-07, 08:34 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

I just got my car tinted today and the guy didnt remove the door panels, I would even let anyone touch anything on my car as long as it doesnt require taking apart and putting it back together.
Old 05-08-07, 09:12 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

The place I got my windows tinted at did not remove my door panels. Some reputable tint shops do remove the panels on the IS though. I did not want to get my panels removed because it may increase the chance of rattles.
Old 05-08-07, 09:27 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't get mine removed for thermal tinting. Looks like a glove-fit and works like a charm.
Old 05-08-07, 09:44 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

sorry it seems these people who remove door panels must not know what they are doing. i agree with neil im on my 6th car and everyone iv never had em pull the door panels off and that incluse my is
Old 05-08-07, 11:19 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you do it without removing the door panels there is a higher risk of the suede lining scratching your tint. it is vice versa...EXPERIENCED tinters will take off the door panel. i got a good deal on mine. 150 bucks for a 6-7 hour job with the door panels removed. i talked to the place and they said that the IS is one of the only cars where they pull out the door panels. sure sounded like they knew what they were doing to me.http://www.tintmastercity.com/index....owse&pageid=33

alot of those kids in the gallery go to my school

Last edited by IS_NIICE; 05-08-07 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 06:41 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_is350
if you do it without removing the door panels there is a higher risk of the suede lining scratching your tint. it is vice versa...EXPERIENCED tinters will take off the door panel. i got a good deal on mine. 150 bucks for a 6-7 hour job with the door panels removed. i talked to the place and they said that the IS is one of the only cars where they pull out the door panels. sure sounded like they knew what they were doing to me.http://www.tintmastercity.com/index....owse&pageid=33

alot of those kids in the gallery go to my school
How can a shop only charge $150 for a 6-7 hour job? A shop can't make any money with that rate structure; wages, insurance, materials, etc. I'm not doubting your figures, but it doesn't make any sense.

I've never had a shop pull off the door panels, and I would bet that the overwhelming majority (90%+) of tints don't remove the panels. I don't think there is right or wrong way, if done right by an experienced installer it can easily be done without removing the panels.
Old 05-09-07, 07:19 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

i dont know guys... I have taken my last three cars to the same tinter for almost 10 years now and have had many friends go through there as well. I know the owner and he has done everything from Bentleys to Ferraris with pics to prove it and some that I have seen for myself and he wanted to remove the front door panels on my IS to tint them. I have not had any rattles or problems since with my doors. He said mine was the fourth ISX50 he had done.
Old 05-09-07, 12:05 PM
neil0311
Rookie

Originally Posted by ben_r_
i dont know guys... I have taken my last three cars to the same tinter for almost 10 years now and have had many friends go through there as well. I know the owner and he has done everything from Bentleys to Ferraris with pics to prove it and some that I have seen for myself and he wanted to remove the front door panels on my IS to tint them. I have not had any rattles or problems since with my doors. He said mine was the fourth ISX50 he had done.
As long as it looks good and you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. My personal choice would be not to pay for the time it takes or take the risk with removing door panels. There is no "right versus wrong" as long as you are happy with the result.
Old 05-09-07, 03:18 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

I tinted my own windows and could not think of a way to squeeze the film behind the tweeter w/o creasing so I had to remove the panel...MUCH easier. No rattles

Quick Reply: Window Tint/Door Panel Removal Question