IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad luck with the IS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07 | 11:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default Bad luck with the IS...

It started Friday. I needed new tires for the car, so I thought I should also get new wheels. Something simple and different; I'm not into the performance aspect or anything like that. I just wanted something purely aesthetic. Chose something with a lip, and because of the size of the caliper and difference in offset, needed spacers. I guessed that it was no big deal.

So, the next day, I took a long drive from Long Beach to San Diego. Lo and behold, the nav system went haywire, and would not and could not keep track of my driving. (I haven't changed the Nav DVD since the TSIB, so I think that's the problem, but it has never happened as bad like this before.) I had the same size wheels and tires as OEM, but I guess the car wasn't liking it. For every five miles I drove, the nav system was only detecting about 4 miles of movement.

Then I realized that the tires were rubbing real hard on the wheel well. I guess it was because of the spacers, as it couldn't have been wheels because they were the same size as the 18" OEMs. Couldn't do anything about it until I returned back to L.A.

Finally, while I was doing my touristy thing, my car was banged by another person and left a pencil-eraser sized dent on the left rear passenger door. No note -- just another inconsiderate person who won't step up and claim responsibility.

So, since then, I have changed the wheels to something else that doesn't rub. I still have an appointment with my dealer to (a) fix the Nav DVD and to (b) fix the dent (hopefully, for cheap).

Just needed to vent. Thanks guys...
Old 05-08-07 | 11:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

That's unfortunate. Luckily your mishaps are definitely repairable. How big of a dent do you have? Send me a pic of the damage if you have time. If there's no paint damage, PDR might be able to do the trick.
Old 05-08-07 | 11:10 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Darn that really sucks, at least you got your rims already. I have been waiting close to 4 months now and it's still not here.
Old 05-08-07 | 11:12 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that. Just drive the LS in the mean time and let the IS rest itself. It maybe that time of the month again.
Old 05-09-07 | 12:00 AM
illawgical
Driver

yeah sorry to hear all this... hopefully they'll get everything straightened out
Old 05-09-07 | 06:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

And post pics of the car when you get it back with your new wheels!
Old 05-09-07 | 06:57 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

That sucks, hopefully everything will be better in no time! BTW theres a TSIB for the NAV?? Cause my NAV did that once and then it went back to normal like 10mins later.

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Darn that really sucks, at least you got your rims already. I have been waiting close to 4 months now and it's still not here.
What rims did you get?? Must be something nice to wait 4months Im in the middle of waiting 3months too.
Old 05-09-07 | 07:46 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear all that man, it never rains but it pours sometimes... Dont worry, Im sure everything will end up working out okay.
Old 05-09-07 | 11:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It started Friday. I needed new tires for the car, so I thought I should also get new wheels. Something simple and different; I'm not into the performance aspect or anything like that. I just wanted something purely aesthetic. Chose something with a lip, and because of the size of the caliper and difference in offset, needed spacers. I guessed that it was no big deal.

So, the next day, I took a long drive from Long Beach to San Diego. Lo and behold, the nav system went haywire, and would not and could not keep track of my driving. (I haven't changed the Nav DVD since the TSIB, so I think that's the problem, but it has never happened as bad like this before.) I had the same size wheels and tires as OEM, but I guess the car wasn't liking it. For every five miles I drove, the nav system was only detecting about 4 miles of movement.

Then I realized that the tires were rubbing real hard on the wheel well. I guess it was because of the spacers, as it couldn't have been wheels because they were the same size as the 18" OEMs. Couldn't do anything about it until I returned back to L.A.

Finally, while I was doing my touristy thing, my car was banged by another person and left a pencil-eraser sized dent on the left rear passenger door. No note -- just another inconsiderate person who won't step up and claim responsibility.

So, since then, I have changed the wheels to something else that doesn't rub. I still have an appointment with my dealer to (a) fix the Nav DVD and to (b) fix the dent (hopefully, for cheap).

sorry to hear that.....is that fixable with no paint dent removal?
Old 05-09-07 | 11:29 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I had the same size wheels and tires as OEM, but I guess the car wasn't liking it. For every five miles I drove, the nav system was only detecting about 4 miles of movement.
Isn't the nav system gps based, i.e. it doesn't use the tires to measure travel?

Find a wheel that is original equipment offset and avoid spacers.
Old 05-09-07 | 11:43 AM
WALDIS350
Pole Position

Default Ouch!

didnt want to still your thunder phillip but ur bad luck wasnt as bad as mine when i was cruising down the highway at night around 10:30pm back in February. i noticed up ahead i saw a 18 wheeler swerve to the right, thinking that it had a flat tire. it was dark and the was a car next to me in the other lane, the car kept going so i followed and what i didnt notice it that the guy in the 18 wheeler lost TWO freakin tires... LOW AND BEHOLD the car next to me clearinly passes the tire and came straight for me i didnt even have time to react to loose tire and it side swiped me on the left side of my completely tearing of the left bumper and fog light.... its fixed now and the guy that lost his rims and tires paid for it tho through his insurance.....bad things happen to then best of us....

Last edited by WALDIS350; 05-13-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-09-07 | 11:46 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

i really hate inconsiderate people !!! My car also got hit over the weekend in a grocery store parking lot of course no note was left. It was hit hard enough to slightly crumple the pasenger side fender... luckily the hood, bumper and headlight are fine. Very fustrated that I have to send a 2 month old car to get paint and body work done. Stuff like this makes me want to get an old hooptie and park anywhere and kick my doors open and basically be carefree....but then i come back to reality I wouldnt want a crap car and Im not inconsiderate enough to kick my own doors open
Old 05-09-07 | 12:47 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by raranjr
didnt want to still your thunder phillip but ur bad luck wasnt as bad as mine when i was cruising down the highway at night around 10:30pm back in February. i noticed up ahead i saw a 18 wheeler swerve to the right, thinking that it had a flat tire. it was dark and the was a car next to me in the other lane, the car kept going so i followed and what i didnt notice it that the guy in the 18 wheeler lost TWO freakin tires... LOW AND BEHOLD the car next to me clearinly passes the tire and came straight for me i didnt even have time to react to loose tire and it side swiped me on the left side of my completely tearing of the left bumper and fog light.... its fixed now and the guy that lost his rims and tires paid for it tho through his insurance.....bad things happen to then best of us....

breaks my heart just looking at the pic!
Old 05-09-07 | 12:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by davidbenji
i really hate inconsiderate people !!! My car also got hit over the weekend in a grocery store parking lot of course no note was left. It was hit hard enough to slightly crumple the pasenger side fender... luckily the hood, bumper and headlight are fine. Very fustrated that I have to send a 2 month old car to get paint and body work done. Stuff like this makes me want to get an old hooptie and park anywhere and kick my doors open and basically be carefree....but then i come back to reality I wouldnt want a crap car and Im not inconsiderate enough to kick my own doors open
rule of thumb #1: never take your IS to grocery shopping....if you REALLY have to, park as far as you can to avoid door dings / shopping carts.
Old 05-09-07 | 02:33 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by KKelly
Isn't the nav system gps based, i.e. it doesn't use the tires to measure travel?
The nav system is primarily GPS, of course, but I believe that it also uses the speed at the tires and perhaps the steering angle to help calculate your location when you're in areas with a poor signal from GPS satellites (e.g., under bridges, in the city, etc.).

Last edited by bnet504; 05-09-07 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad luck with the IS...