IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Beat this crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 01:03 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Unfortunately we do not have that law in MS and my insurance company State Farm does not cover windshield cracks. I can choose to take the deductable. = /

Well it can be fixed however the other cracks will come out. The guy tells me he can get Pilkington glass (used on BMW/Mercedes) or try for regular OEM. He says next to Nissan .. Toyota has the thinnest glass. I'll buy that!

So.. anyone know? Pilkington good stuff? Also he is going to use DOW AGRSS glue, supposedly the best on the market.. Anyone confirm that? He did my brother's accord with no issue but, the Lexus is another issue!
if you have comprehensive coverage, you should be able to file a claim....but then you will be claiming against yourself.....

Last edited by kickin8; 05-10-07 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 05:59 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you have comprehensive coverage, you should be able to file a claim....but then you will be claiming against yourself.....

Exactly and I really don't want to do that either.

So I've decided to just be Ghetto and keep the crack. Its just on the outside of the glass, and with all the interstate driving I do it is amazing it took 7 months to get one!

So until I can't get an inspection sticker (Got friends to cover this) or a Police officer pulls me over and says "fix" that, or until I sell the car.. its going to stay.

I think I would be more pissed if I spent X amount of dollars to fix it then get a crack the next week.
Old 05-10-07, 06:02 AM
Katsumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! That's a pretty brutal crack... But you did say 'Beat this', and I think i've had one to top it. Had a rock kicked up sideways bust out my rear side window on my last car. A big bang wakes you up. A big bang followed by the tinkle of glass makes you wanna cry... *L* Sucks though, man. Hope ya get her fixed up soon.
Old 05-10-07, 06:30 AM
acbrisker
Driver

If you choose to get your windshield replaced in the future ... don't forget to scrape off your Department of Defense stickers!
Old 05-10-07, 07:09 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So until I can't get an inspection sticker (Got friends to cover this)
So much for the integrity of the MS Vehicle Inspection system. Guess you can bend the system as it needs to be bent.

As far as driving a Lexus with a pretty bad cracked windshield, that is pretty ghetto. But you are the one driving it. You'll eventually pay for it when you sell the car as the buyer will automatically deduct the cost of a new windshield, so don't see the rationale for not replacing it now.
Old 05-10-07, 11:00 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
So much for the integrity of the MS Vehicle Inspection system. Guess you can bend the system as it needs to be bent.

As far as driving a Lexus with a pretty bad cracked windshield, that is pretty ghetto. But you are the one driving it. You'll eventually pay for it when you sell the car as the buyer will automatically deduct the cost of a new windshield, so don't see the rationale for not replacing it now.
The reason why I don't want to replace it .. is quite simple.

I have about a 90+ mile commute daily in my car. I drive on one of the roughest patches of interstate known to man/woman/child (haha in my mind anyway)., I-10 Westbound toward New Orleans LA, nothing but Semis, and dump trucks with open tops still cleaning up the mess that Katrina left behind. I don't plan on selling the car for two years. So instead of the cost of a winshield possibly x3 or more in this time span leaving it alone to replace it once for the sale of the car (when I put it on sale) is totally different and saving me money. Sure it is Ghetto I give it that.. but I don't feel too bad considering cracked windshields seem to be a common thing where I work! I never really noticed all the cracked windshields until this morning when I started looking for them. I feel worse for the guy who drives the Mercedes S500. And as far as bending the rules.. well I'm still paying for the inspection sticker.

So yeah call me ghetto/cheap. Heh, because with my luck the day I drop 500+ to fix the windshield I'll end up getting anoth crack before the end of the week! I was just lucky to make it this long. ;0) Or I might get sick of it and replace it.. Only time will tell.

SO!! I hope everyone elses commute isn't as costly as mine! Maybe I should have bought a Chevy Cobolt SS to drive to work instead of the Lex!
Old 05-10-07, 11:04 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly and I really don't want to do that either.

So I've decided to just be Ghetto and keep the crack. Its just on the outside of the glass, and with all the interstate driving I do it is amazing it took 7 months to get one!
Damn that is ghetto,

If you do decide to replace it....Dont use your deductible if its more than $100. Just not worth it. Insurance companies normally force you to use aftermarket windshields if available(which they probably are by now)

It will probably cost $300 or so
Old 05-10-07, 11:14 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The reason why I don't want to replace it .. is quite simple.

I have about a 90+ mile commute daily in my car. I drive on one of the roughest patches of interstate known to man/woman/child (haha in my mind anyway)., I-10 Westbound toward New Orleans LA, nothing but Semis, and dump trucks with open tops still cleaning up the mess that Katrina left behind. I don't plan on selling the car for two years. So instead of the cost of a winshield possibly x3 or more in this time span leaving it alone to replace it once for the sale of the car (when I put it on sale) is totally different and saving me money. Sure it is Ghetto I give it that.. but I don't feel too bad considering cracked windshields seem to be a common thing where I work! I never really noticed all the cracked windshields until this morning when I started looking for them. I feel worse for the guy who drives the Mercedes S500. And as far as bending the rules.. well I'm still paying for the inspection sticker.

So yeah call me ghetto/cheap. Heh, because with my luck the day I drop 500+ to fix the windshield I'll end up getting anoth crack before the end of the week! I was just lucky to make it this long. ;0) Or I might get sick of it and replace it.. Only time will tell.

SO!! I hope everyone elses commute isn't as costly as mine! Maybe I should have bought a Chevy Cobolt SS to drive to work instead of the Lex!
i used to do 120+ round trip going to school.....you DEFINITELY need a fun car to drive !

if you can live with the crack, it's ok. i believed you already went to the "stop the crack" guys to have it fixed? Jusr be careful about extreme hot/cold weather cos it might accelerate the crack....on the other hand, if you have it fixed and it still cracks, they are gonna replace it for free right?
Old 05-10-07, 11:26 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

I'm with BenR. I never drive behind trucks either.
Old 05-10-07, 11:30 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive on one of the roughest patches of interstate known to man/woman/child (haha in my mind anyway)., I-10 Westbound toward New Orleans LA, nothing but Semis, and dump trucks with open tops still cleaning up the mess that Katrina left behind. ..... Sure it is Ghetto I give it that.. but I don't feel too bad considering cracked windshields seem to be a common thing where I work! ..... SO!! I hope everyone elses commute isn't as costly as mine! Maybe I should have bought a Chevy Cobolt SS to drive to work instead of the Lex!
I hear you. I've driven east from Houston to Baton Rouge a few times on I-10 (through the prime oil production support industries) and it is solid semis carrying material and equipment for the petroleum businesses, with construction going on to upgrade the roads as well. Don't they have a covered load law in MS? Most jurisdictions require open loads to be tarped, with hefty fines if they don't. Maybe it is different in the wake of Katrina and it is just being ignored. My commute is 15 miles each way through the reconstruction of I-10 in Houston where they are adding a total of 12 extra lanes, so there is always debris flying through the air. I have already cracked one windshield on my other car, so not all commutes are created equal. Yes, there is something to be said about not using a high valued car like a Lexus to use as a daily commuter in heavy duty traffic over rough roads. That's why I didn't sell my 5 year old car when I bought my Lexus, I wasn't about to drive through the Houston commute mess in a brand new car while I'm here for a couple of years. I drive the Lex on the weekends and on vacations, but not everyday. I'm happy to have that choice.

Last edited by Evitzee; 05-10-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 01:29 PM
BigChief17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I hear you. I've driven east from Houston to Baton Rouge a few times on I-10 (through the prime oil production support industries) and it is solid semis carrying material and equipment for the petroleum businesses, with construction going on to upgrade the roads as well. Don't they have a covered load law in MS? Most jurisdictions require open loads to be tarped, with hefty fines if they don't. Maybe it is different in the wake of Katrina and it is just being ignored. My commute is 15 miles each way through the reconstruction of I-10 in Houston where they are adding a total of 12 extra lanes, so there is always debris flying through the air. I have already cracked one windshield on my other car, so not all commutes are created equal. Yes, there is something to be said about not using a high valued car like a Lexus to use as a daily commuter in heavy duty traffic over rough roads. That's why I didn't sell my 5 year old car when I bought my Lexus, I wasn't about to drive through the Houston commute mess in a brand new car while I'm here for a couple of years. I drive the Lex on the weekends and on vacations, but not everyday. I'm happy to have that choice.
More from the "Amen corner"... I have also picked up two cracks in my windshield on the I-10 strech from NOLA to Lafayette.

I got Safelite to just seal them since they both were < 1 cm and not in my direct line of vision.
Old 05-10-07, 02:07 PM
illawgical
Driver

I'd call around and ask what the warranties are. Do these repairs come with a lifetime warranty?
Old 05-10-07, 07:05 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Well.. I spoke to my windshield guy today and to my amazement I am told that people are actually paying dealerships 900 bucks plus install to get it installed on their cars!

HAHA!! I laughed! He laughed too, and the glass is on back order so apparently alot of IS's (don't know what else has our windshield) are having this problem. I was quoted 444.43 to get the windshield installed with the OEM glass. I trust this guy he did my brother's accord 3 years ago and no problems and he uses AGRSS certified windshield glue. Its nice to know a glass distributor!

And yeah I agree that maybe the Lex was a bad idea for all my commuting but if I'm stuck in the car for 1 hour there and 1 hour back I might as well enjoy it. I needed something that was reliable and at the time the IS350 was the newest toy out there by Lexus. The GS was too big for my tastes!

And, about following trucks too closely... well, obviously you haven't driven on this stretch of I-10 there is NO way to avoid them. = / I always have another car as a shield in front of me but this time I wasn't so lucky. And yes there are covered truck laws.. but its hard to nail a dump truck with no license plate; and yes the police are working on catching these guys but those types of trucks are going to be around for a long long lonnnnnnng time in efforts to help clean up the coast. I can only imagine what people will think when I get the C6! Then the IS will be down graded even more to daily beater. :P

So point of all of this.. DO NOT PAY the dealership 900 for a windshield! Find a glass distributor and get OEM or better for MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper! (Make sure they do quality work.. naturally. :P )

And yes the windshield install will come with a warranty, and sealing the crack comes with a warranty. Make sure whoever you have installing it has major experience. The guy who is going to do my car has over 10 years in the business.

Last edited by IS_Mine; 05-10-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 01:56 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^^^ so are you still going 'ghetto' or are you gonna do the right thing and replace the glass ???
Old 05-11-07, 02:13 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Well here's an update.

I got another crack in my windshield this morning. My luck is not going well for my car. The windshields are out of stock for two weeks. When they come back in stock, sometime in June I'll be replacing it then. I'm much happier with the 444 price than 1100. I think I can stand to lose less than 500.

Quick Reply: Beat this crack