IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Beat this crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 04:13 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat this crack

Well.. on my way home I got attacked by a rock.

A truck in front of me dodges something which looks like a shreaded tire, I attempt to dodge the tire and POOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!! Crack to the windshield. Luckily there was no body damage. I am past the point of annoyance where I find this funny. Please tell me that when windshields are replaced .. leaking normally doesn't occur? I think I'm going to have to take a deductable with my insurance company to get this done, however if the windshield repair dude can stop the cracking, well I'll live with it.

I know its going to be expensive. So much for Borla Off road exhaust.

Old 05-09-07, 04:29 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys dont have the law where you get your front windshield replaced for free if the cracks a certain size?? If you do than just let the crack get bigger so its free, and also when you get it replaced just make sure it sits in the sun so the glue dries really good and no there shouldnt be any leaks if done properly, which it usually is.
Old 05-09-07, 04:30 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh snap! thats gonna be costly to replace.. sucks that had to happen
Old 05-09-07, 04:42 PM
jdoolitt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tons of windshields get cracked every day. They are replaced, and they don't leak or cause wind noise. The exceptions to this are very rare. You should ask your insurance company what your deductible for a replacement windshield is. Mine is like $25. If you have rain-sensing wipers/windshield - it's an expensive replacement.. for your insurance company (not you).
Old 05-09-07, 04:54 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately we do not have that law in MS and my insurance company State Farm does not cover windshield cracks. I can choose to take the deductable. = /

Well it can be fixed however the other cracks will come out. The guy tells me he can get Pilkington glass (used on BMW/Mercedes) or try for regular OEM. He says next to Nissan .. Toyota has the thinnest glass. I'll buy that!

So.. anyone know? Pilkington good stuff? Also he is going to use DOW AGRSS glue, supposedly the best on the market.. Anyone confirm that? He did my brother's accord with no issue but, the Lexus is another issue!
Old 05-09-07, 04:58 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

You should be fine with whatever glue he uses, cause there should be a minimum requirement for stuff like that. And plus most if not all windshield glue is really strong about 5000lbs per sq in.
Old 05-09-07, 04:59 PM
bigboinow
Driver School Candidate

Pilkington is actually what they use for most OEM applications...it just won't have the Lexus or Toyota stamp on the glass
Old 05-09-07, 05:08 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Ouch... sorry man! Thats why I NEVER drive anywhere behind trunks!
Old 05-09-07, 05:11 PM
cre8
Driver

Ouch.. man... it is painful to see those... Never drive behind the open wheels truck
Old 05-09-07, 05:38 PM
LIG134
Driver School Candidate

I know how you feel. I just got my 1st crack on my windshield last week. What made even more special <sarcasm> is that it happend on my birthday 5/1
Old 05-09-07, 06:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That hurts!

I hope you get your car fixed quickly and for cheap...
Old 05-09-07, 07:32 PM
danis
Rookie

Default Windshield

That looks like a new windshield crack to me. From what little I know, there is no way to seal a crack that large and it will always show. I got a new PPG windshield installed 6 months ago for $290 and I am very happy with it.
Old 05-09-07, 11:47 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Ouch! Looked like my winshield a few months back when some kids decided to shower my windshild with 4 bb bullets. When I got mine replaced i had to pay around $775 since there were no aftermarket windshields out yet. My service advisor said it was that expensive because there is some kind of acoustic stuff on the windshield..... sure there is.
Old 05-10-07, 12:41 AM
gcool12
Driver School Candidate

Same thing happened to me but it spread all over the windshield by the time i got home. My insurance said it would only cost me $50 to replace it since it was hit by a rock. Because it was a new car i made sure they replaced it with dealer glass straight from Lexus and you would never know the difference! Never leaks, its absolutely perfect
I did see the cost of the glass + install and it was over $1100, so $50 was a great deal
Old 05-10-07, 12:57 AM
yoyo1979
Driver School Candidate

No Doubt you are very lucky it didn't hit your body. Definetly, use your deductible. I'm guessing Lexus glass isn't the same price as the avg joe's. FrigginFragginRocks!!!

Quick Reply: Beat this crack