mark5
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coming from a S4 awd, I'd highly consider a 07' G35x
Old 05-11-07, 07:35 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

TL-S looks UGLY! Test drive a 07' G35 then buy the IS350.
Old 05-11-07, 07:36 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the TL-S looks faster than it is, IS350 on the other hand looks more luxury and faster. FWD TL-S FTL
Old 05-11-07, 09:00 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

The torque steer in FWD is a real PIA.
Choose the IS350 and enjoy
Old 05-11-07, 09:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i had also thought about the TL when I was getting my IS, though the TL-S wasnt out yet. I decided against it mainly because the TL will be redone in the next 2 years. When that ever happened I'd feel like I was driving an old car, wont have to worry about that on the IS since its been out a year or so. Just a thought

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
The torque steer in FWD is a real PIA.
Choose the IS350 and enjoy
to give credit where its due, many magazines have tested the TL-S and it has very little torque steer for a FWD car even when you are driving it really hard. They have done a lot to minimize it
Old 05-11-07, 09:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well i came from a 05 S4 so i think the IS is a good choice. it has a good balance of luxury and performance. i had many TL's in the past. The TLs is new but they have had TLs models in the past. The Aspec is actaully a suspension upgrade and then the body kit and larger rims. this is a great thing for the car as i had this on my 05 TL. very over priced package and not that much demand for it. i actaully worked for Acura at the time and we couldnt sell the kit so i got it for close to nothing. Having owned many TL's i must say they are not that reliable. my car was in the shop all the time. the major problem i had with all 3 TL's was the trans. the 03 TLtypeS they replaced the trans 4 times and ended up giving me a credit towards my 05. my first TL was purchased in 99 when the just did the body change. that car was great. i wish you luck on your decision and hope i was of help!
Old 05-11-07, 09:43 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

I thought the TL was actually one of the more reliable cars available, hmm.
I do agree the A-spec package is waay over price. I recall that was 6500 MSRP! I know either car wont be as "fast" as my S4 so i'm mainly looking for something luxury with a lil more speed in addition. I'm thinking heavily on the IS350 now...thanks everyone!

Now the hard part is negoiation and since I live in VA the IS350 in Black arent that many in dealership. Maybe I wont get a deal like the CA buyers =(
Old 05-11-07, 10:17 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i had also thought about the TL when I was getting my IS, though the TL-S wasnt out yet. I decided against it mainly because the TL will be redone in the next 2 years. When that ever happened I'd feel like I was driving an old car, wont have to worry about that on the IS since its been out a year or so. Just a thought

to give credit where its due, many magazines have tested the TL-S and it has very little torque steer for a FWD car even when you are driving it really hard. They have done a lot to minimize it
That was my thinking too. i was considering doing the TL also. Glad I didnt! Acura =/= Lexus
Old 05-11-07, 10:37 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

BTW..which car would you choose for autocross and track events? I know both cars are not design specifically for track purposes but would you say that the IS350 RWD is more fun than FW? How about stability and traction controls?

I have no desire for drag racing, I had my share of fun w/ the S4 =)
Old 05-11-07, 12:44 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Infiniti G35 definitely is a better comparison for IS. It's also newer.

Acura TL is a more different car, not a bad car by any means, and certainly much cheaper (actual price, not msrp); current gen starts in MY2004, assuming 5 year cycle, in fall 2008 you'll see a new gen of TL, probably with SHAWD.

If IS were slightly larger, it would easily draw more buyers who have a family to haul. the next size ES just isn't a comparable car to drive.
Old 05-11-07, 12:48 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DiauR1
BTW..which car would you choose for autocross and track events? I know both cars are not design specifically for track purposes but would you say that the IS350 RWD is more fun than FW? How about stability and traction controls?

I have no desire for drag racing, I had my share of fun w/ the S4 =)
Surprisingly, when a lot of auto magazines review the TL, it runs the slalom either one of the fastest, or the fastest. It also has a really high skidpad performance. It's pretty deceptive as a FWD. Plus you can get a manual.

IMO, both are going to be fun to autocross.
Old 05-11-07, 02:18 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Oops! My fault I red that as TL Type S.

The TL A Spec things.. do look rather nice, however, I based my opinion on the TL Type S since I've driven it.
Old 05-11-07, 02:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as for TL reliability that was only for the previous gen with the honda tranny fiasco, the new gen TL doesnt have those problems

new TL-S is kinda pricey 39-40k but it has navi and the upgraded audio included I believe, gauges, seats,interior touches as well as the exterior touches are different from the normal TL
Old 05-11-07, 02:50 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Coming onto a Lexus board on the 2IS forums asking which car people prefer, odds are they are going to side with the Lexus. The TL-S and the IS are the 2 I was deciding on. Both have great features! For the people that have said the TL-S is slow, you have no idea what you are talking about about. The only draw back is FWD, but that is not that big of a deal

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Hondas biggest problem is that they try to cram too many different cars on the same chassis and use too many of the same parts... The Type S is supposed to be a sport luxury car yet its one of the only ones on the market thats FRONT WHEEL drived! Thats a terrible idea. If your thinking between a 350 and TL the 350 will win in every way possible hands down! Dont even bother test driving anything, there is no comparison.
The pot calling the kettle black. Talk about a truly biased reply!
Old 05-11-07, 02:57 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I actually leased out a tenant today with a TL-S in that brownish bronze color. I was actually amazed of how nice and aggeresive it looked. I noticed the legroom in the back was about 3-4 inches longer and they also added rearview camera on the navi package this year. I believe some people are being alittle to harsh, Honda isn't as bad as some people make them seem. They have to be doing something right to be where they are today. My advice for you is to go and test drive both and when I say drive I mean drive them hard because this is a pretty hefty investment. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW look for a substantial amount of torque steer in the TL-S.

Quick Reply: IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??