IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 03:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 805 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
as for TL reliability that was only for the previous gen with the honda tranny fiasco, the new gen TL doesnt have those problems

new TL-S is kinda pricey 39-40k but it has navi and the upgraded audio included I believe, gauges, seats,interior touches as well as the exterior touches are different from the normal TL
Depending on where you live, they aren't going anywhere near 39k before tax and title. I got quoted 36k including delivery from 2 dealerships here in So Cal so after tax and title, it will be around 39k, but not before that.
Old 05-11-07, 03:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DiauR1
I thought the TL was actually one of the more reliable cars available, hmm.
I do agree the A-spec package is waay over price. I recall that was 6500 MSRP! I know either car wont be as "fast" as my S4 so i'm mainly looking for something luxury with a lil more speed in addition. I'm thinking heavily on the IS350 now...thanks everyone!

Now the hard part is negoiation and since I live in VA the IS350 in Black arent that many in dealership. Maybe I wont get a deal like the CA buyers =(

Acura is a great product. my wife has a TSX and she enjoys the car. funny thing is before i traded in the S4 i wanted her to get the car. we decided to go with the acura as she had the RSX and it just made more sense. she wishes she got the IS after i got the car.. the problem with Acura is the cars that are built in the states they have problems with. the trans was not replaced, trust me. they simply tried a quick fix to the old trans that ended up not working. my 05 TL had 2 trans in it by 20k miles??? i got them to admit what they did and they didnt fight me on replacing the trans. i meet some executives at a ride and drive and they admited to the problem and appologized. They have quality products its just with the cars that are made overseas not here in the states. i also think the TL is priced to high now for what it offers. i think you will find a better car no matter what you decide on and good luck.

by the way i moved here from VA. where abouts are you?
Old 05-11-07, 03:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

People complain about torque steer because of the FWD drivetrain, yet most people do not floor their car at every stoplight. It's annoying when you do drive it hard, but lets face it, you're not going to. And if you do drive it hard, Acura has already minimized the torque steer, especially with the TL Type-S.

If I had a choice, I'd get the IS350 mainly because the TL will be due for a makeover soon. I'm the type of person who wants to get the most for their money so I wouldn't want to buy a car that was designed long time ago.
Old 05-11-07, 03:28 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All I've owned are Toyota's and Hondas. 88 corolla, 95 Integra, 00 Accord V6, 02 S2000, and now my 06 IS350.

Honda's are just as reliable as any Toyota. Do they have their differences? Yes. But they didn't get to where they are today by making crappy cars. Lexus has definitely taken it up a notch in the luxury sector, but Acura isn't too far behind. I too thought of a TL, and before the IS came out in the 04 time frame thought very heavily of a TL. The TL is bigger, has more trunk space(I think) and is overall going to probably be a more comfortable car. It is FWD for winter, and still has plenty of power for highway passing.

The IS350 is fast, luxurious, has a top notch interior(for the most part), small cramped back seat, large but narrow trunk, and is rwd. I had no problems driving the IS in the winter with a set of blizzaks, but its a must if you live in an area with snow.

It will depend on what you are looking for, will you have passengers quite often or only occasionally? Reliability wise you can't go wrong with either. Style wise I'm not a HUGE fan of the entire TL s, but I do like the quad exhausts, exhaust note, and the rear tail lights. Not really a fan of the updated front, wheels, and nav area.
Old 05-11-07, 08:35 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will get bias answers here on the IS board. If I were you, I would also ask this same question on the www.acurazine.com site for feedbacks. I have a friend that owns one and those are pretty fast cars. The interior is very nicely done and I personally like the TL's navi system over ours. It also has a built in rear camera. For the money, the TL will kill our IS350 for what you pay for. However, if you want speed....IS350 is to go for. I think you won't be disapointed going with either car. I wouldn't touch the G35...I heard too many complaints about them. The G35's interior is very cheap. However, much better than previous gen but nothing close to the TL or IS350's interior.
Old 05-11-07, 10:05 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

IMO the TL is a nice and spacious car compared to the 2is, but having come from a 1996 maxima SE, i was through w/ big-engine front-wheel-drive sedans.
Old 05-11-07, 10:43 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

I had the same problem. I too was looking at the TL-S, IS350, and G35. I loved the Acura all the feats were awesome, the navi is very easy to use and it enable when your driving at all times. Very roomy all the way, 286 hp 3.5L V6 the only thing I didn't like was FWD, other than that my choice was a TL-S. The G35 I liked it, it has all the same feats that the IS350 had, but the navi work at all time. The only thing I really didn't like was that the back remained me of a Ford Torus, and the front end was ok but not geat, roomy interior. And I finally got to the IS350 although it is a bit cramp inside decent leg room in the back, and the navi was full fuctional at complete stops or at crawl speeds (I know I sound like "why did I get this car"?) The styling was way cleaner sharper than the other two. It has cooled and warm seats! Push Start button, power everything, auto dimming side and rear view mirrors, power sunshade, kick *** brakes! awesome POWER TRACTION (PWR ECT). I just love the IS350. Make sure you get the IS350 with the LUXUARY Package, and ML. Hope the info help.
Old 05-12-07, 12:30 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=tcho82;2616554]All I've owned are Toyota's and Hondas. 88 corolla, 95 Integra, 00 Accord V6, 02 S2000, and now my 06 IS350.

Honda's are just as reliable as any Toyota. Do they have their differences? Yes. But they didn't get to where they are today by making crappy cars. Lexus has definitely taken it up a notch in the luxury sector, but Acura isn't too far behind.

I'm sorry I love Acura but I think they are far behind. Acura seems to be very stingy when it comes to making new platforms and engines for there cars. They are more of a conservative automaker, in other words its kind of like hey heres who we are and what he have to offer take it or leave it. They need four major steps to come close to Lexus different engineers for Acura (stop using Honda engineers on their luxury line), better customer service, RWD, and V8. I believe when they hit these three points they will have a much different image.
Old 05-12-07, 12:47 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

MoLexus, you might be one of the most ignorant Toyota owners I know.
However, I agree with you on a lot of things you said.

Better customer service
RWD
But I disagree with V8.. I WANT A V12! Damn you LS600lh.
Old 05-12-07, 02:12 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say either car is good...just wait for the is-f then get that beast
Old 05-12-07, 02:26 AM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

get a bmw 334i it is better than an is450 and a acura tl-s...this is coming from an is340 owner...i have driven both...the acura is front whell drive and doesnt really match up to the IS or 335i....if i were u..u can get a 335i for a lil over 30k..atleast test drive it...trust me.
Old 05-12-07, 02:28 AM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

sorry that my numbers in the cars dont make sence..u know what i mean tho...i meant is350 and bmw 335i
Old 05-12-07, 04:18 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You may want to consider this; SEVEN in a row for Lexus and TWO in row for the IS!

http://www.autospies.com/news/Lexus-...d-Award-14997/

Koz
Old 05-12-07, 05:38 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I love how people say JD power and Associates don't mean anything.

LOL Do you think the average person cares?! If Lexus is winning awards, reguardless by who I think that says something. = /

If JD Power and Associates doesn't mean anything then why does Ford and Chevroletuse their awards in their truck adds? Silly.
Old 05-12-07, 05:42 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=MoLexus;2617713]
Originally Posted by tcho82
All I've owned are Toyota's and Hondas. 88 corolla, 95 Integra, 00 Accord V6, 02 S2000, and now my 06 IS350.

Honda's are just as reliable as any Toyota. Do they have their differences? Yes. But they didn't get to where they are today by making crappy cars. Lexus has definitely taken it up a notch in the luxury sector, but Acura isn't too far behind.

I'm sorry I love Acura but I think they are far behind. Acura seems to be very stingy when it comes to making new platforms and engines for there cars. They are more of a conservative automaker, in other words its kind of like hey heres who we are and what he have to offer take it or leave it. They need four major steps to come close to Lexus different engineers for Acura (stop using Honda engineers on their luxury line), better customer service, RWD, and V8. I believe when they hit these three points they will have a much different image.

If you've stepped into an Acura dealership lately, you'd see they did very nice jobs on the new MDX, RDX, and RL. The TL is a bit dated now and is in need of a complete makeover. Sure Lexus is better than Acura. I'm driving one aren't I? But Toyota's brand image along with Lexus has been one that has been very conservative over the years. Only in the last few years has Toyota/Lexus been churning out cars that look nice and have nicely styled interiors. Lexus with this new L-finesse styling has really taken a turn for the better, but Lexus' of the past were pretty blan compared to a 5 series, 7 series, or E or S class. When the TL first came out it was a hit car, its a bit dated now and technologically and styllistically can't keep up with the more modern IS. The new G35 is nice, but I'm not going to even go into reliability and fit and finish with nissan/infiniti.

While I can say Honda customer service is hit or miss(I've had excellent reps with Honda before/and terrible ones). Acura service has been top notch for me(I used to take my Accord to Acura to get oil changes etc done, really was no price difference, but service was quite stark).

Lexus obviously is known for their incredible service. Acura does have quite a bit to catch up on, but I wouldn't be so quick to knock them down.

Quick Reply: IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??