IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 09:32 AM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick350
get a bmw 334i it is better than an is450 and a acura tl-s...this is coming from an is340 owner...i have driven both...the acura is front whell drive and doesnt really match up to the IS or 335i....if i were u..u can get a 335i for a lil over 30k..atleast test drive it...trust me.
I agree with slick, you might want to check out a 335i. I had a stage 2 b5 avant before i picked up a 350 and performance wise the 350 just doesn't have the same feel. Looks like you were stage 3 and probably pushing close to or over 400 hp, both of these cars are going to seem like pigs. With a chip on the 335i, you would probably put up the same numbers or better than you got in your s4, but you'll probably be paying about 7k more.
Old 05-12-07, 09:46 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=tcho82;2617929]
Originally Posted by MoLexus

If you've stepped into an Acura dealership lately, you'd see they did very nice jobs on the new MDX, RDX, and RL. The TL is a bit dated now and is in need of a complete makeover. Sure Lexus is better than Acura. I'm driving one aren't I? But Toyota's brand image along with Lexus has been one that has been very conservative over the years. Only in the last few years has Toyota/Lexus been churning out cars that look nice and have nicely styled interiors. Lexus with this new L-finesse styling has really taken a turn for the better, but Lexus' of the past were pretty blan compared to a 5 series, 7 series, or E or S class. When the TL first came out it was a hit car, its a bit dated now and technologically and styllistically can't keep up with the more modern IS. The new G35 is nice, but I'm not going to even go into reliability and fit and finish with nissan/infiniti.

While I can say Honda customer service is hit or miss(I've had excellent reps with Honda before/and terrible ones). Acura service has been top notch for me(I used to take my Accord to Acura to get oil changes etc done, really was no price difference, but service was quite stark).

Lexus obviously is known for their incredible service. Acura does have quite a bit to catch up on, but I wouldn't be so quick to knock them down.

I'm not knocking Acura down at all. I love the TSX, TL, RL, and New MDX it's just when you walk into there dealership it really doesn't feel luxurious at all. I bought my sister a TSX not to long ago and I felt like I was at a Honda dealership. Please don't get me wrong I love Honda/Acura since the 2000 Electron Blue Civic Si, its just they need to update there image. Believe me I'm really hoping they get in the game.
Old 05-12-07, 09:50 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Acuras are good cars, I had a 2003 TL-S and the features and quality (other than the transmission) were great. The transmission will always be a sticking point with me since I went thru 2 transmissions in about 25k, and this was with normal mixed highway-city driving. The service was great and very nice, no issues on getting anything fixed that needed to be.

But the latest TL is on its way out, while the IS is a newer model. Acura is very conservative but their latest efforts are top notch, especially the MDX. The next gen TL will probably be very tempting.

Love my IS350 however, its great to drive and a great and comfortable interior.
Old 05-12-07, 10:59 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=MoLexus;2618326]
Originally Posted by tcho82

I'm not knocking Acura down at all. I love the TSX, TL, RL, and New MDX it's just when you walk into there dealership it really doesn't feel luxurious at all. I bought my sister a TSX not to long ago and I felt like I was at a Honda dealership. Please don't get me wrong I love Honda/Acura since the 2000 Electron Blue Civic Si, its just they need to update there image. Believe me I'm really hoping they get in the game.
Maybe it depends on where you are located. Most if not all of the Acura dealerships around the Chicago land area went through major overhauls in the last 4-5 years. Granite floors, marble bathrooms, customer internet centers, free bottled water, pop, and a free starbucks machine. Plasma TV's etc... They actually feel pretty similar to Lexus dealerships in the area. But just not QUITE as nice. Some Lexus dealerships almost feel lavish. But I say almost, because they still aren't over the top.

Although I like my free breakfast and carwashes from Lexus. While I normally hand wash my car, there are times when all of us get lazy.
Old 05-12-07, 11:07 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CoasterG
Acuras are good cars, I had a 2003 TL-S and the features and quality (other than the transmission) were great. The transmission will always be a sticking point with me since I went thru 2 transmissions in about 25k, and this was with normal mixed highway-city driving. The service was great and very nice, no issues on getting anything fixed that needed to be.

But the latest TL is on its way out, while the IS is a newer model. Acura is very conservative but their latest efforts are top notch, especially the MDX. The next gen TL will probably be very tempting.

Love my IS350 however, its great to drive and a great and comfortable interior.
When do you think Acura will revise the TL.. Should be soon since there already going on 5 years with the same car..
Old 05-12-07, 11:13 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I think if the TL Type S got a revamp and turned out to be RWD that'd be great.

Totally off topic but what I'd like to see is Acura have a RWD sports car like the S2000, RSX, or Integra.. that has a turbo in it, you know.. maybe about 250 horses to play with the Sky/Solstice GXP. That would be PERFECT for them and really the Japanese market in general.

Actually any Japanese brand.. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru.. we need a fun toy like that. I know I'd be interested if something came from the factory with a mean little engine and turbo in it.
Old 05-12-07, 11:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I think if the TL Type S got a revamp and turned out to be RWD that'd be great.

Totally off topic but what I'd like to see is Acura have a RWD sports car like the S2000, RSX, or Integra.. that has a turbo in it, you know.. maybe about 250 horses to play with the Sky/Solstice GXP. That would be PERFECT for them and really the Japanese market in general.

Actually any Japanese brand.. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru.. we need a fun toy like that. I know I'd be interested if something came from the factory with a mean little engine and turbo in it.
I think they should keep the 286 HP TL engine and turbo that.. That way they can compete with the IS, nissan, G35, etc.. It would really give those cars a run for there money..

I'm suprised at the above post that someone would pick the 335 over the IS and G35.. I thought the G35 was a great car.. but for room the bimmer and TL maybe better choices.. I just received my brochure on the G35 sedan and its a beautiful car.. Next might be a 335 brochure..
Old 05-12-07, 11:32 AM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

Honestly condsider the 335i. Just test drive it, its an amazing car, the torque, handling, and everything is just excellent. It is a little more expensive than the IS and tl-s but just atleat consider it. It has a twin turbo motor and if you are into modding, just a simple chip would really make the car demonic, we are actually in the process of chipping my dad's 335 i absolutley love the car. Dont get me wrong I love my IS as well...but if it came down to it i would take the 335i over the IS...thats just my personal preference.
Old 05-12-07, 11:35 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

So why does mom only have the 328i?

I'd be taking the Porsche!!!

"Honey.. I'll be back! I'm in the Porsche!"

*Run and door slam!*
Old 05-12-07, 11:41 AM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

So why does mom only have the 328i?

I'd be taking the Porsche!!!

"Honey.. I'll be back! I'm in the Porsche!"

*Run and door slam!*

lol my parents are divorced, she doesnt care too much about cars...but obviously my dad, bro and I are a little obsessed lol.
Old 05-12-07, 11:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Honestly condsider the 335i. Just test drive it, its an amazing car, the torque, handling, and everything is just excellent. It is a little more expensive than the IS and tl-s but just atleat consider it.
its more than a "little more expensive" if you compare similarly loaded. A 335 with similar specs to my 350 is around 46-47 before taxes
Old 05-12-07, 11:54 AM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its more than a "little more expensive" if you compare similarly loaded. A 335 with similar specs to my 350 is around 46-47 before taxes

Yea you are right. BMW bends you over when it comes to adding things...thats what is really nice about lexus and acura the car comes standard with a lot of things that bmw doesnt. But if you drive the 335i you will understand why its priced higher.
Old 05-12-07, 01:09 PM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

From a performance modding standpoint, a 335i has a lot more modding potential than a IS350. By adding a chip, you can probably get at least 70 more horses. The OP's previous s4 was heavily modded and a 335i would probably be comparable in performance.
Old 05-12-07, 01:30 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Yea you are right. BMW bends you over when it comes to adding things...thats what is really nice about lexus and acura the car comes standard with a lot of things that bmw doesnt. But if you drive the 335i you will understand why its priced higher.

Its priced higher because its a BMW and people have this illusion that if you can FEEL the road it drives better. I'm done basing runs off the magazines because usually the person harping the loudest about what a car can do..well, can't drive for crap -- I'd say 7/10 times.

I've ran 335i's at the track.... Nothing spectacular IMHO, but then its a driver's race. And I imagine that from a roll at higher RPMS/MPH the BMW will pull but.. Roll racing is for ricers.. its all about the dig.
Old 05-12-07, 01:42 PM
Slick350
Driver School Candidate

Its priced higher because its a BMW and people have this illusion that if you can FEEL the road it drives better. I'm done basing runs off the magazines because usually the person harping the loudest about what a car can do..well, can't drive for crap -- I'd say 7/10 times.

I've ran 335i's at the track.... Nothing spectacular IMHO, but then its a driver's race. And I imagine that from a roll at higher RPMS/MPH the BMW will pull but.. Roll racing is for ricers.. its all about the dig.

Yea from a dig up till towards the end of 3rd gear its a drivers race then the 335i will start to pull...And Yes you can "feel the road" in the 335 basically all bmw's for that matter which does make the car drive better its not an illusion.....lol...., the car handles amazing, and its very rigid, just as an awesome solid feel that my lexus lacks.

Quick Reply: IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??