IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 08:54 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??

Hey Guys, I just sold my Audi S4 today and this evening I visited both dealerships and picked up literature on the 2 vehicles. My budget is right around $40,000
My initial Impression of the Acura TL-S was very spacious and semi aggressive exterior styling especially with the black housing and quad exhaust. The A-spec option had a very nice ground effect kit and sports tune suspension which lowered the car considerably. The MSRP was 46K. What I didnt like about the car was that it's nearing the end of its generation and who knows when its due for a makeover and the fact that every corner you see a mom in the TL!

Then headed 5 mins away to a Lexus dealership and also admired the IS350. I sat in it and it felt small and cramped compared to the TL-S. I did like the push start features and keyless locking features on the door handle. Test drove the IS350 and was able to feel the body roll in turns but i did prefer the rwd vs the front wheel drive on the TL-S. Didnt get a chance to play with either the Nav.

Can you guys help me narrow my search, if you know any pros/cons of both cars. Also any mod potential with both?
TIA
Old 05-10-07, 09:01 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i thought the Type S for the TL just recently came out.. i suggest you test drive both cars and see what you like.
Old 05-10-07, 09:05 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

get a g35.................
Old 05-10-07, 09:06 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

yes the TL-S just came out but the TL design has been out for 5 years now i believe. I would hate if it was due for a makeover in couple more years
Old 05-10-07, 09:08 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what you go for, in speed the 350 got more HP to boot than the TL and for pimp factor....LEXUS hands down! Both cars are reliable.
Old 05-10-07, 09:21 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DiauR1
yes the TL-S just came out but the TL design has been out for 5 years now i believe. I would hate if it was due for a makeover in couple more years
The TL is definitely in a makeover within the next 2 years.
Old 05-10-07, 09:22 PM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

drove 07 TL type s didn’t really like it, no power, FWD.... Interior is cheap, wonder why ((((HONDA))).. i would deff. go whit IS.. only one thing I like about TL is front of car kind of mean looking, that it……….
Old 05-10-07, 10:57 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 805 Likes on 562 Posts

It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. If you want yourself and your 1 passenger to be comfortable, the IS350 is the most comfortable of the TL-S, IS, and G35 group. It also has plenty of power to get you around in no time.

If you want a sporty RWD sedan that can comfortably fit 4 and uncomfortably fit 5 then go with the G35. This is my least favorite of the group because IMO it has the worst interior. When I test drove the 07 sedan, it just felt cheap. However, the driving dynamics are great.

If you want a somewhat sporty FWD sedan then go with the TL-S. Most people don't like it b/c of the FWD, but it doesn't bother me all that much. Biggest knock against the TL is that it is going to be redesigned in 2 years or so.

but in the end it comes down to what you like. Seeing as you are coming from a S4, all of these cars will probably feel a little underpowered, so test drive them all and see what you like.

I'm personally going to be picking up a car at the end of May and it is down to the 350 and the TL-S. While the IS is much more luxurious, the TL has a lot more space and both are fun to drive. Good luck with your choice and you can't go wrong either way
Old 05-10-07, 11:16 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Road and Track did a comparison in February 2007.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4459

Based on the article, I went with the IS350. I was more impressed with the details of the of the IS350 (i.e. larger moon roof, nicer looking interior).

Old 05-10-07, 11:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well, you're asking this question in not only a Lexus forum, but in the IS section, so I certainly hope you weren't expecting any unbiased opinions on the matter. Obviously most people are going to say the IS on this forum, just like if you go to an Acura forum, they'll recommend the TL.
Old 05-11-07, 05:28 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexXxuS101
drove 07 TL type s didn’t really like it, no power, FWD.... Interior is cheap, wonder why ((((HONDA))).. i would deff. go whit IS.. only one thing I like about TL is front of car kind of mean looking, that it……….
You didn't feel any power?

Its got crazy torque steer and I dare say for FWD its got PLENTY of pick up. I loved the TL type S when I saw it and when I drove it. Atleast it has an exhaust note unlike our quiet IS.

Are you going to modify the car or keep it stock? The type S is a nice ride, very nice... as far as the IS it is nice too, but I'm sure the TL is MUCH more fun to drive and you can get it in a manual transmission unlike the IS. And I'm willing to gamble that if you want to modify there will be plenty more parts for the TL -- whats available for the IS is, well.. slim pickings.

Nothing bad with the IS -- you'll see plenty of moms/dads driving this car too. I use my IS as a commuter car and its GREAT for tearing up the I-State.
Old 05-11-07, 05:40 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Accords are nice cars exspecially the Euros but not in the same class as the Is. I recon Acura needs to intro a new mid size model to hang with the 3 series, Is, C Classes, cos the Accords just doesnt cut it imo.
Old 05-11-07, 06:02 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Thanks for everyone's opinion. I will def go with auto w/ the sports paddle feature instead of the 6 speed manual so the gf and take it around town "safely" =)

I do plan on doing basically mod exhaust/suspension on the IS350 but on the Acura TL-Apec, the exhaust is quite nice as well as the sports suspension. I wonder which car would handles "better" on the track.
Old 05-11-07, 06:08 AM
LexFather

Guys, there is a TL Type S and there was a TL A-spec. Confusing yes, but Acura had the A-spec come out a couple years ago. It pretty much was a bodykit, exhaust and wheels I believe.
THe Type-S has more power to the engine, some exterior revisions etc.

The 2 are different cars.

I'd go with the IS 350.
Old 05-11-07, 07:19 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hondas biggest problem is that they try to cram too many different cars on the same chassis and use too many of the same parts... The Type S is supposed to be a sport luxury car yet its one of the only ones on the market thats FRONT WHEEL drived! Thats a terrible idea. If your thinking between a 350 and TL the 350 will win in every way possible hands down! Dont even bother test driving anything, there is no comparison.

Quick Reply: IS350 or TL-S Aspec ??