IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally my 12 piston BBk & 6 piston rear came in..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 09:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The brakes are definitely a 2IS first.

Why don't we focus on the brakes instead of taking shots at one another or talking bad about other products.
Old 05-11-07, 09:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,

As a show car ... I LOVE it! I even like the color!

However, I hope you don't track the car much or drive it hard on the street. I wouldn't expect these to work well at all with ABS or EBD, and it sounds like they will easily over power any OEM width tire with very little pedal effort (based on your initial performance impression). Those two combined make for a pretty significant safety issue.
Old 05-11-07, 09:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you still using OEM seat belts Maybe it's time to change out to some 5-point harness seatbelt. If you ever slam on the brakes, the OEM seat belt might put a hurting on your body
Old 05-11-07, 09:48 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Doug,

As a show car ... I LOVE it! I even like the color!

However, I hope you don't track the car much or drive it hard on the street. I wouldn't expect these to work well at all with ABS or EBD, and it sounds like they will easily over power any OEM width tire with very little pedal effort (based on your initial performance impression). Those two combined make for a pretty significant safety issue.

Agree on both points. I'm not hatin' or anything but your brake bias is going to be totally off with those calipers in the front. Also, your stock master cylinder wasn't designed to move those many pots.

The fact that they're very 'grabby' as you describe it, is actually not a good sign.

Again, not trying to bust your b@lls. Just want you to be safe.
Old 05-11-07, 09:50 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What can I say? Thats a HUGE Fk#*$@#n ***CALIPER***
Old 05-11-07, 09:50 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Are you still using OEM seat belts Maybe it's time to change out to some 5-point harness seatbelt. If you ever slam on the brakes, the OEM seat belt might put a hurting on your body
A common misconception. I know you were j/k but the weakest link in braking distance/performance (in modern cars) are the tires, not the brakes. Unless dd is changing his tires, braking performance is not going to improve. It may actually degrade for the reasons in my previous post.
Old 05-11-07, 10:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
A common misconception. I know you were j/k but the weakest link in braking distance/performance (in modern cars) are the tires, not the brakes. Unless dd is changing his tires, braking performance is not going to improve. It may actually degrade for the reasons in my previous post.
I totally agree. "Spirited" driving on the street with street tires that are anywhere close to OEM in bias, the OEM system on the IS350 will outperform ANY BBK.
Old 05-11-07, 10:12 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ yes, but 12 pots per corner in the front and six pots per corner in the rear... that's just sexy.

dougie> are you finished now? well?
Old 05-11-07, 10:20 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ddquach
OKay guys need to brake them in first before I can tell you how hard they stop. But as of now it seems amazing. Tap it this morning a little hard and I jerk forward, kinda the opposite affect from the supercharger.
I realize that you haven't broken them in yet, but what did you mean with this statement? Anytime you change the total piston area of a caliper without also changing the piston area of the master cylinder to match, you change the mechanical advantage of the system. This means that you would either have to push the pedal harder for a shorter distance, or ligher over a longer distance. This can be offset with more or less agressive brake pads. I'm curious to find out what your BBK designer chose. If they increased the piston area in the calipers, then added an aggressive set of brake pads to keep the brake pedal sensitivity, then I would be VERY worried about safety.
Old 05-11-07, 11:10 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gillette Fusion of BBKs.
Old 05-11-07, 11:37 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ yes, but 12 pots per corner in the front and six pots per corner in the rear... that's just sexy.

dougie> are you finished now? well?
Not even close, Next project is audio or supercharged twin turbo. Of coarse b4 you ask I'm gonna see if I can get my motor built.
Old 05-11-07, 11:53 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

wow.. cant wait until the car is completely finished.. i wish i had the funds to do all of that. gluck with your projects!!
Old 05-12-07, 12:03 AM
anitabj
Driver

this guy didnt pay for crap....i saw this same car on pimp my ride on mtv...and the owner was a black guy....
Old 05-12-07, 12:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I agree. Tires makes a huge difference in braking distance. One reason why I still use OEM brakes, but upgraded the tires to stickier ones

I was actually referring to how he said a little tap on the brake pedal will grab you and pull you foward. Imagine giving a bit more force on the pedal
Old 05-12-07, 12:08 AM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought pimp my ride only redid junkie cars...

Quick Reply: Finally my 12 piston BBk & 6 piston rear came in..