IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What do you use?
Have XM Radio, use it and like it.
16.67%
Had XM Radio, didnt like it shut it off.
8.33%
Have HD Radio, use it and like it.
8.33%
Have HD Radio, dont like it.
0%
Dont use/have either XM or HD Radio.
66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/ $40 MIR

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 02:42 PM
bishop555
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingster
The unit works but it's not perfect yet.
I have one in my 2007 GS350, and not all the functions and displays advertised work... However, the sound from the HD Radio is amazing.
It was explained to me that the unit worked well with the 2006 GS, but Lexus changed something on the 2007 GS. So, I'm not sure if you IS owner's will have the same problem.
The company does stand behind their product, but I feel the product is still under development.

Mind sharing some pic's of your setup, i know it will be different in this IS but i wouldn't seeing some of the setup

Last edited by bishop555; 05-11-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 02:49 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The screen looks exactly like the CD changer screen.
The Unit is temporarly tucked under the passenger floor mat...it won't be mounted until I have time to visit dice again and have more functions operate correctly. The unit is sort of big and will not tuck away easily. I'll post up some pics this weekend, if anyone wants.

Last edited by wingster; 05-11-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 03:11 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

The screen looks exactly like the CD changer screen.
The Unit is temporarly tucked under the passenger floor mat...it won't be mounted until I have time to visit dice again and have more functions operate correctly. The unit is sort of big and will not tuck away easily. I'll post up some pics this weekend, if anyone wants.
So how are updates done? Do you have to send it back to dice to get the firmware updates?
Old 05-11-07, 03:21 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
So how are updates done? Do you have to send it back to dice to get the firmware updates?
Yes, you do... but since they're sort of local to me, I have arranged to stop by their office/warehouse/tech center in the Lakewood, Ca. area (not sure why their website states that they are located in Nevada) in the past.

Did you know you can purchase the unit straight from dice for less than the Costco price, and still send in for a rebate? Check out their store site... I know, they don't have the Costco return policy... but I thought they (Costco) changed that for electronic goods .
Old 05-11-07, 03:30 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Yes, you do... but since they're sort of local to me, I have arranged to stop by their office/warehouse/tech center in the Lakewood, Ca. area (not sure why their website states that they are located in Nevada) in the past.

Did you know you can purchase the unit straight from dice for less than the Costco price, and still send in for a rebate? Check out their store site... I know, they don't have the Costco return policy... but I thought they (Costco) changed that for electronic goods .
Yes I just found out from them when I called them and they did say that, and yes 160 after rebate is a very good deal! Also regarding costco's return policy... this would not be covered under their recent changes. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/  MIR-costco_memo.jpg  
Old 05-11-07, 03:46 PM
wingster
Driver

Also regarding costco's return policy... this would not be covered under their recent changes. See attachment.

I would think they would catagorize this as a(n) Ipod/Mp3 player. But who knows, they are very liberal in their policies at times .
Old 05-11-07, 03:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so how large is the antenna? and can it be hidden in the car? can it be stuffed in to one of the pillars or can you mount it in a way on the back window from the inside that will hide it? i just ask as a few years back i had XM installed on a BMW and they where able to put the antenna in the car and you couldnt see it and i had no issues with it.

Thanks for all the info this sounds like its worth checking into.
Old 05-11-07, 04:10 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
so how large is the antenna? and can it be hidden in the car? can it be stuffed in to one of the pillars or can you mount it in a way on the back window from the inside that will hide it? i just ask as a few years back i had XM installed on a BMW and they where able to put the antenna in the car and you couldnt see it and i had no issues with it.

Thanks for all the info this sounds like its worth checking into.
The antenna is 1.5"X1.5" square plastic (Picture the interior portion of an old car celluar antenna) stuck to the top passenger corner of the interior windshield with a piece of tape with a very thin wire (hairlike) in middle of the tape, running down about 1" parallel to the side edge of the windshield. << That is Dice's recommended installation location. I opted to instead, run the tape 1" parallel to the top edge of the windshield (which doesn't interfer with the passenger's line of sight out of the windshield).

It doesn't bother me as much as when I first installed it. If you know it's there you can see it from outside. I haven't found any better solutions.
Old 05-11-07, 04:18 PM
wingster
Driver

FYI...

Keep in mind that, You need to be in an area that transmits HD to get HD Radio in your car... most metropolitan areas do, but once you travel outside the transmittal area you revert back to regular FM/AM (through the HD Unit) if you're listening to HD FM/AM. For the "channels in-between" you just hear silence if you've traveled beyond or if you're in a dead spot (like sirus radio).
Old 05-11-07, 04:35 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

The antenna is 1.5"X1.5" square plastic (Picture the interior portion of an old car celluar antenna) stuck to the top passenger corner of the interior windshield with a piece of tape with a very thin wire (hairlike) in middle of the tape, running down about 1" parallel to the side edge of the windshield. << That is Dice's recommended installation location. I opted to instead, run the tape 1" parallel to the top edge of the windshield (which doesn't interfer with the passenger's line of sight out of the windshield).

It doesn't bother me as much as when I first installed it. If you know it's there you can see it from outside. I haven't found any better solutions.
Oh that would never do... Id have to find a way to maybe run the wire all the way to the back and set it back there with some velcro near the rear speakers or something. I could never live with anything taped to my windsheild!!!

Thanks very much for all your input too! Its been very helpful!
Old 05-11-07, 04:59 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh that would never do... Id have to find a way to maybe run the wire all the way to the back and set it back there with some velcro near the rear speakers or something. I could never live with anything taped to my windsheild!!!

Thanks very much for all your input too! Its been very helpful!
if someone can connect that to the shark fin antenna, I would buy that in a heartbeat!
Old 05-11-07, 05:00 PM
TheLexSter
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called dice yesterday and asked the question about display on our NAV.. they said only if the current CD player has text capability... meaning you pop in a cd and the song artist etc... shows up on screen. Mine does not unless I'm missing something??? Maybe I'm to old & my CD's do not have text?
If it does, I think this would be great! Anybody know if the non ML stereo's display CD text?
Old 05-11-07, 05:12 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheLexSter
I called dice yesterday and asked the question about display on our NAV.. they said only if the current CD player has text capability... meaning you pop in a cd and the song artist etc... shows up on screen. Mine does not unless I'm missing something??? Maybe I'm to old & my CD's do not have text?
If it does, I think this would be great! Anybody know if the non ML stereo's display CD text?
They do, all my mp3 cds show the text from the file and the ID3 tag.
Old 05-11-07, 05:24 PM
wingster
Driver

The current antenna is not free standing (if you pulled off the tape, it would not hold it's shape, it would look like a long curled strand of hair), the tape is part of it. So, I think if you were to velcro the base, the element will just hang loose.

<<<Me thinking outloud >>> Maybe I'm too quick to say the sharkfin would not work...hmmmm ...
Old 05-11-07, 05:31 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Huh... so you mean the antenna in the attached pic is not the end piece?
Attached Thumbnails FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/  MIR-hd-radio-antenna.jpg  

Quick Reply: FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/ $40 MIR