IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What do you use?
Have XM Radio, use it and like it.
16.67%
Had XM Radio, didnt like it shut it off.
8.33%
Have HD Radio, use it and like it.
8.33%
Have HD Radio, dont like it.
0%
Dont use/have either XM or HD Radio.
66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/ $40 MIR

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 10:35 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/ $40 MIR

Just wanted to make everyone aware of what I found (if you were thinking of doing HD radio)... Its a little over priced even with the rebate (as I believe we have found it for 199 elsewhere but the costco one DOES come with the iPod Integration kit too, so it can be two for one), costco.com has the DICE HD Radio adaptor for our cars. LINK. Just hit the link up and select toyota/lexus model. Its $299 and there is a $40 mail in rebate, so that helps a little. The best part is, if you install it and you dont like it, you can take it out and return it for a full refund to your local Costco store anytime you like (costco return policy flamers who have problems with returning things to costco: SHUT UP, they have a return policy, they have to honor it, and we have every right to use as we PAY to shop there). Thats nice for those that have never heard HD radio and are unsure if they will even like it. Here is the link to DICE's website on the product. From what I understand you can see the info in the nav screen from their device. Your welcome guys and if any of you buy it please take some pics, do a DIY, and tell us what you think!

Last edited by ben_r_; 05-11-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 11:12 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.... i might need to take a look at this. But how good is it compared to the vaistech IPod adapter?
Old 05-11-07, 11:14 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by intrinsic
hmm.... i might need to take a look at this. But how good is it compared to the vaistech IPod adapter?
Well Im sure as far as the ipod goes this sounds the same, but as Im reading more, i think the iPod Integration kit is just an AUX input with the proprietary ipod cable connected to it. So I dont think anything from the ipod shows up on the nav screen...
Old 05-11-07, 11:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Well Im sure as far as the ipod goes this sounds the same, but as Im reading more, i think the iPod Integration kit is just an AUX input with the proprietary ipod cable connected to it. So I dont think anything from the ipod shows up on the nav screen...
That is incorrect for the Vaistech.. wait are you talking about the Dice unit? Or the Vaistech?
Old 05-11-07, 11:30 AM
wingster
Driver

The unit works but it's not perfect yet.
I have one in my 2007 GS350, and not all the functions and displays advertised work... However, the sound from the HD Radio is amazing.
It was explained to me that the unit worked well with the 2006 GS, but Lexus changed something on the 2007 GS. So, I'm not sure if you IS owner's will have the same problem.
The company does stand behind their product, but I feel the product is still under development.
Old 05-11-07, 11:31 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
That is incorrect for the Vaistech.. wait are you talking about the Dice unit? Or the Vaistech?
I was talking about this particular adaptor from DICE. They have a separate Ipod thing thats like the Vaistech.
Old 05-11-07, 11:37 AM
wingster
Driver

The Dice HD unit has a port for their (Dice's) Ipod cable.
The Unit is integrated and does not go through the Aux port.
The information is displayed on Nav screen. Some of the functions are controlled on the Nav screen and the steering wheel.

Last edited by wingster; 05-11-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 11:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

needs to have another antenna mounted on the windshield?

if they can do the antenna with the shark fin

anyone have it installed and use the sharkfin as the antenna?
Old 05-11-07, 01:15 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wingster
The information is displayed on Nav screen. Some of the functions are controlled on the Nav screen and the steering wheel.
So info from the ipod shows up on the nav screen for the HD radio module? The only reason I ask for clarification is because there is a separate module they make from the HD radio one that is just for the ipod and that one actually says you can see the info on the nav screen whereas the HD radio one doesnt really say on their website that you can see the ipod info on the screen, just that you can see the HD radio info on the screen.
Old 05-11-07, 01:29 PM
wingster
Driver

So info from the ipod shows up on the nav screen for the HD radio module? The only reason I ask for clarification is because there is a separate module they make from the HD radio one that is just for the ipod and that one actually says you can see the info on the nav screen whereas the HD radio one doesnt really say on their website that you can see the ipod info on the screen, just that you can see the HD radio info on the screen.
The nav screen displays both (individually, depending on what you want to listen to) the Ipod and HD (It actully looks the same for both).
The best way to explain it is... the HD module (unit) is the Ipod module (unit), except they added the HD tuner to it and housed it in a bigger box. Works as one module (unit).

Last edited by wingster; 05-11-07 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 01:37 PM
04lrg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you list which Ipod functions work and which won't? And how do you switch from IPod to HD?
Old 05-11-07, 02:01 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

The nav screen displays both (individually, depending on what you want to listen to) the Ipod and HD.
The best way to explain it is... the HD module (unit) is the Ipod module (unit), except they added the HD tuner to it and housed it in a bigger box. Works as one module (unit).
Oh awesome! So its really is two units in one... nice! Okay now let me ask this: Does it also have an AUX input on there two (like a L/R RCA input) for another audio device along with the ipod and HD radio?

And also do you have to use the supplied antenna or can it use the sharkfin?
Old 05-11-07, 02:21 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Can you list which Ipod functions work and which won't? And how do you switch from IPod to HD?
That is sort of a loaded question. Keep in mind that I'm speaking from using my HD unit on a 2007 GS350. The units are flashable (re-programable) by the manufacturer. Things will change as they develop.

If you work the Ipod functions from the Ipod, the sound goes through the headunit... seems to work just like you're listening through your headphones.

The Nav screen on your car shows only limited functions, and the functions are emulated from a screen that looks exactly like your cd changer screen. You do NOT see your Ipod screen on the Nav screen. 6 circles with numbers (cd numbers), each of the cd numbers control a function. The Artist and Title are suppose to show where they show for your cd. In my case... I only see title of songs from my Ipod.

To switch between Ipod, HD FMRadio, HD AMRadio and an Aux Input you press number 5 and then press track up or down each press of the button takes you in sequence to each of the choices (Ipod, Hd Am, Hd Fm, Aux). Then depending on which input you chose, the other numbers do something else by selecting the number and using the track up or down button. There is a learning curve.

Last edited by wingster; 05-11-07 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 02:33 PM
wingster
Driver

Oh awesome! So its really is two units in one... nice! Okay now let me ask this: Does it also have an AUX input on there two (like a L/R RCA input) for another audio device along with the ipod and HD radio?

And also do you have to use the supplied antenna or can it use the sharkfin?
Yes, there is an Aux input. It's 1/8" phono plug... I think it's the same as the stock IS350 Aux Input... but you can easily adapt that to RCA's.

I believe you need to use the supplied antenna. The interface may be different from the Sharkfin. Also, I believe that the signal reception will be different... You wouldn't use your Home TV antenna to pickup signals for your cell phone... would you?
Old 05-11-07, 02:36 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up man!

Quick Reply: FYI DICE HD Radio Unit for Lexus avail @ Costco.com w/ $40 MIR