IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

500 Miles and my NAV is being replaced :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 09:55 AM
Shux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Miles and my NAV is being replaced :(

It's the most screwed up thing. On "warm" (and I say warm because I live in Wisconsin and it's not really warm get..but I'm talking days where it's sunny and over 65 degrees) I'd get zero audio out of my NAV. The NAV would work fine but I had no sound at all...

No beeps
No phone
No radio
No CD

then all of a sudden after some time it would just start working again. I called the dealership and the first time they couldn't make it happen (go figure) so after about a week and 2-3 more times of it happening I took it in again and got lucky where they could make it happen. Seemed to only happen when the car sat outside all day at work and it was warm. In the morning it was fine, after work...nothing. Turns out they're replacing the entire NAV unit...

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 05-12-07, 09:59 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope...sounds like a one-off. pretty crazy though. i wonder if its some tiny wire somewhere comingn loose when it gets warm and expands. if thats the case, its probably easier and cheaper for the dealer to send back the nav and get a new one then spend hours searching every little wire...and i'm sure they wouldnt touch the circut board!

no big deal. you get a brand new nav unit. they'll do a great job installing, its just a swap. they took my entire dash apart to fix rattles and its put together better than new (gaps are better)
Old 05-12-07, 10:52 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Stuff happens. Probably a small break in a connection or on a circuit board. I had a Corolla once with a radio that had an intermittent channel. Toyota didn't fool with it, they just replaced the whole unit.
Old 05-19-07, 11:06 AM
Shux
Driver School Candidate

Update....

Well they replaced my nav and the radio assembly yesterday...got in the car to go to lunch today (warm day) and no sound...sigh
Old 05-19-07, 11:08 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy... now youve got bigger problems... Huh, well dont worry! Its a brand new car and under a very good warranty. Go take it back to them, ask for a loaner, request an IS and tell them to figure it out. All will be made well just stay cool and try and roll with it all.
Old 05-19-07, 11:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shux
Update....

Well they replaced my nav and the radio assembly yesterday...got in the car to go to lunch today (warm day) and no sound...sigh
Sorry to hear that.

It seems it has nothing to do with the Nav. Perhaps it's the amp or something? I don't know much about electronics, but it seems to be the "computer" for the Nav and radio and phone, not each component...
Old 05-19-07, 11:13 AM
Shux
Driver School Candidate

Ya that's kinda what I thought the whole time because it's more than just the radio/cd sound that doesn't work.

Anyone know where the Amp is in the car?
Old 05-19-07, 11:14 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

In the trunk I think.
Old 05-19-07, 11:31 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Oh boy... now youve got bigger problems... Huh, well dont worry! Its a brand new car and under a very good warranty. Go take it back to them, ask for a loaner, request an IS and tell them to figure it out. All will be made well just stay cool and try and roll with it all.
once you got the loaner, it's time for a road trip!
Old 05-19-07, 12:01 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

The amp is in the trunk on the right, under the plastic cover (just lift it up). Thats how it is for the non-ML system, not sure if its the same for ML system. Good luck.
Old 05-19-07, 12:42 PM
trio
Driver

i would also think it's the amp. based on what you stated, it's probably getting too hot and it just shuts itself off.
Old 06-20-07, 08:49 AM
Shux
Driver School Candidate

Here is a little update on my issue.

I've had the car into the dealership for the 4th time now for this problem. I've had my car about 2 months and it's spent almost a month on and off at the dealership being worked on for the sound problems. I have about 600 miles on the car and almost 1/2 of that is from back and forth trips to and from the dealership.

After waiting 3 weeks for the amp to come in (so yes, thats driving around with no sound in the car after around 10am when it warms up outside to the point it kills my sound) my car went in to get the new amp installed last Monday. They called me back that same day to inform me that the amp didn't fix the problem. Now after a week of looking at it again they think they found a short in a fuse panel/distribution box...or whatever they said that is location on the passenger side of the car (something I didn't even know was there) and they think it's shorting out components. So now they're order a new wire harness to run from the front to the trunk, a new touch screen, head unit, nav , computer, amp and all 13 speakers. They're saying they'll need about another week because my car has to be totally gutted to do all this work.

As it sits right now it's been 10 days since I took it in the last time.

I'm extremely frustrated with this whole mess, and I'm not happy about a brand new car being "gutted" because I'm dreading what will happen next..if they finally fix the sound issue I'm going to have squeaks or rattles from it being taken apart so many times. I've sent a letter to corporate expressing my frustrations but it pretty much fell on deaf ears. I don't know what I'm looking for them to do or say to make it up but I feel I'm entitled to SOME sort of compensation for my trouble.

What do you guys think? am I overreacting? What's fair?
Old 06-20-07, 08:53 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

I was just thinking the other day how reliable car stereos were. They take tens of thousands of miles of jarring and still work. Hell, I wish some of my home electronics would be so reliable. To boot, I never hear about people having problems with systems in cars like Hondas and Toyotas. I’m not surprised about this NAV system. Its bound to happen every so often with any technology. I hope the stock ML systems lasts for 15 years, Id hate to have to pay to replace that thing after war.
Old 06-20-07, 08:57 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I think your car may qualify as a lemon if they can't fix it after 4 tries. See here.
Old 06-20-07, 08:58 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

If you want to go this route, you might almost qualify...
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...s/lemonlaw.htm

since you have only 600 miles, you'll be getting a good chunk back too, i think.

Quick Reply: 500 Miles and my NAV is being replaced :(