IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do you use Emergency Brake while parked?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 06:16 PM
Roboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its a good habit to have, doesn't hurt... unless u forget about it and drive w/ it on
Old 05-12-07, 06:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cc16ue
But I have another question to ask: I just got my car and even when I put the e-brake on it still rolls/shakes a little when I take my foot of the brake, so as if I hadn't put the brake on at all. What's the deal?

you might still feel the rolls/shakes is because you put your gear in park, let go of your brakes, den put on the ebrake. Try putting on your ebrake on first, then shift it to park, you might feel the difference.

I agree with damaging your transmission if you dont use your ebrake, but if you park on flat land, it doesnt really matter since it doesnt roll or anything, so i only use it when i park my car on a hill.
Push it in further. Mine does the same thing, especially when I'm parked facing downhill, I have to press the pedel in quite a bit for it to be planted. If i'm facing uphill, the brake grabs a lot sooner and without having to press it in as far.
Old 05-12-07, 07:00 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a must.
Old 05-12-07, 07:28 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Push it in further. Mine does the same thing, especially when I'm parked facing downhill, I have to press the pedel in quite a bit for it to be planted. If i'm facing uphill, the brake grabs a lot sooner and without having to press it in as far.
The parking brake pushes out a set of brake shoes within the rear brake rotor so a little movement can be expected after apply the parking brake upon releasing the brake pedal.

Another advantage of always using the parking brake is that it can prevent the cable from snapping from lack of use in the long run and keep interfering parts in the parking brake system from seizing from corrosion build up. Perhaps not so much a concern on such newer vehicles, but something to consider still.
Old 05-12-07, 08:35 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I come to a stop, throw the car in Neutral, engage the parking brake, take my foot off the brake and let the car settle onto the brakes and then shift to park and im on my merry way.
Old 05-12-07, 08:42 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

i know this is a newb stupid question but HOW DO U PUT IT ON EMERGENCY BRAKE???? ive never done it before lol
Old 05-12-07, 09:11 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
i know this is a newb stupid question but HOW DO U PUT IT ON EMERGENCY BRAKE???? ive never done it before lol
Above your dead pedal, which is the left most pedal, there is a much smaller pedal.

That's your parking brake.

It should say something like ON/OFF on it, but I'm not sure because I never use it.
Old 05-12-07, 09:16 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I usually use the parking brake when I'm parked on an incline, otherwise I don't really use it. When I do use it, I put the car in park, apply the parking brake, then I let go of the brake pedal.

Prior to getting the IS, I've been driving a stick for over 10 years, so if the IS with an automatic with a hand brake, I would probably still use it all the time.
Old 05-12-07, 09:39 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

every single time. if you notice if you take it out of park without the e-brake and shift harder than parking with the e-brake on.

PS. i noticed this by some of the post, its brake not break
Old 05-12-07, 10:22 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

dot use it never use it even with a standard tranny just put it in first and you are good. powershifting and droping the clutch at high rpm is harder on the tranny than parking it. my mom drives a re with 250k on it and never used the e brake
Old 05-12-07, 10:53 PM
mog79
Rookie

Default parking brake

i always use mine for the reasons people mentioned above, i was always told its easier on the tranny since its less pressure on the gear shift or something. but i made a habit out of it so i always do on my new IS350.
Old 05-13-07, 09:54 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Are we talking about the Parking Brake?
Old 05-13-07, 10:04 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use it very, very seldom as I don't park much on inclines where the car would have a tendency to roll. Suppose another reason I don't use it is the fact that the use of a foot brake on a supposedly sporty car is an oxymoron to me. I HATE IT! It reminds me of some 1960 era Detroit iron throwback. This is the first car since my 1969 Dodge Dart GT that has had a foot brake. What gives? I guess it is one of those things that Lexus doesn't get as a key attribute of a sports sedan.
Old 05-13-07, 10:12 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ISbb
Are we talking about the Parking Brake?
yes, AKA emergency brake.......
Old 05-13-07, 10:23 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I ALWAYS use it.

Quick Reply: Do you use Emergency Brake while parked?