IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Loud Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 03:44 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Fan?

This is probably more for the folks in hot climates who have their A/C on all the time now...

Is your fan REALLY loud? When I am standing outside of my car and the engine is running, it just seems like the fan is abnormally loud for a car. None of our cars (including another Lexus... an LS) have a fan that runs this loud. I don't know if something is wrong with my car or if this is just how the IS is because it has been this way since I took delivery a week ago.
Old 05-14-07, 03:54 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

ah, i have a first generation IS300 and there are currently two modes for the fan.

i named than, low fan, and loud mode.

Yes, when you have the aircon on, and because the engine is tuned towards sporty driving, the engine gets really hot fast. So yes, the fan will kick up in speed and it will be really loud for about 2 minutes, then turn back to "silent" mode.

this is the same with a computer, desktop or notebook. You will notice on hotter days, the fan will be louder. Its good for the car, dont worry.
Old 05-14-07, 03:56 PM
illawgical
Driver

Yeah, my fan also gets really loud as well at times
Old 05-14-07, 04:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REALLY loud! Its amazing how loud that thing is and you dont really hear it inside the car.
Old 05-14-07, 04:27 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Usually the smaller the engine the louder the fan and vice versa. LS has a bigger engine. Like what RXSF said when the engine is hot and ur running ur A/C it seems louder than usual. The engine does this to cool down the engine a bit not to overheat.
Old 05-14-07, 09:04 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

no your car does not have a problem...the fan is really loud in the IS and no other lexus since this is really the first performance car Lexus has come out with...The engine produces alot of power so it needs a fan to cool it.
Old 05-14-07, 09:24 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fan is UBER loud on this car. Same goes for my old car the Acura TL-S.

It's kinda annoying when it kicks, cause I can feel it vibrate for a second in the cabin.

My friend's S2K's fan is barely noticeable.
Old 05-14-07, 10:22 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

lol

your car is just mad at you cuz you aren't moving and giving it fresh air.

cars need constant air flow to keep it cool and in optimal running temperature.

you putting on the air conditioner is prolly just making it hotter in the engine bay =P

oh yea, your a/c works better when you're moving too cuz of the fresh flow of cooler air
Old 05-14-07, 10:54 PM
Turkf26
Driver

ive noticed that sometimes when i am sitting at idle for a while and the fan kicks on, my RPMS will drop to about 400 to where the car shudders, feels like its gonna die but then corrects its self. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 05-14-07, 10:59 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

now that sounds like a problem lol

get it checked out.

especially if it happens often.
Old 05-15-07, 01:53 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yes the fans are loud, no it isn't a problem. You'd me amazed at how much air those things move when the kick on. I was re-inflating my rear tires once withe the car on and when they kicked on I could feel massive amounts of hot air hitting me. I was actually quite impressed.
Old 05-15-07, 02:08 AM
phamduy
Driver School Candidate

check your coolant!!!
Old 05-15-07, 03:41 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkf26
ive noticed that sometimes when i am sitting at idle for a while and the fan kicks on, my RPMS will drop to about 400 to where the car shudders, feels like its gonna die but then corrects its self. Does this happen to anyone else?
That is not normal in any new vehicle. You should get that checked out.
Old 05-15-07, 04:04 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

yo ramon,

you should stand my the driver door when the fans kick in on my dad's Audi Q7.

it'll go from 70 degrees outside to 95 in no time =)
Old 05-15-07, 06:25 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Seems as if there is alot of misconception as to why the fan is so loud on our cars, for one it has nothing to do with the power output of the engine. It has everything to do with the size of the ac condensor (the small radiator looking thingy in front of the actual radiator). The cooling system on just about all modern cars is very efficent and ours is no exception, I can let my IS run in the garage in summer with the ac off and probably never hear the fan run due to a variable speed cooling fan, durng this period the cars computer(pcm)
would only turn the fan at a very slow speed to draw air through the radiator and keep the engine cool. Now when you turn the ac on the line pressure in the high side goes up to a couple hundred psi and would continue to climb rapidly without some intervention and this is where the ac condensor comes into play. It is the job of the condensor to cool the temperature of the high side of the ac system by flowing the vaporized refrigerant through through the condensor coils and then pull air through the condensor to cool the charge(exactly the way a radiator works). The high side pressure needs to brought into check very rapidly and therefore the pcm turns the fan on high to draw maximum air through the condensor to rapidly bring the pressure down. The condensor on our cars is a little bit smaller than on other Lexus due to the limited amount of room and therefore more air has to be drawn thorugh it to do the same work as a larger condensor and to do that the fan has to turn faster and when that happens it makes more noise.

Quick Reply: Loud Fan?