IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07 | 04:46 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JerryRig
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 exclusively for my daily driver, and although my engine is completely different from yours (OMG rusty American pushrods vs. JDM DOHC sweetness!), I still drive it daily and enjoy extracting every bit of performance out of it.
Heh, based on this sarcasm, your icon, and your sig... you seem to harbor a little bitterness towards Toyota/Lexus fans, no?
Old 05-17-07 | 04:49 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

I suppose the only way to properly judge this is to have it analyzed and adjust your change intervals accordingly.
Ayup....

Are those Blackstone tests costing about $20 each?

I've read lots of reports that claim engine oil additives are snake oil, but who knows for sure. With the Toyota sludge issues, I like a little something extra in my oil.

Here is and interesting link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
Old 05-17-07 | 04:53 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Heh, based on this sarcasm, your icon, and your sig... you seem to harbor a little bitterness towards Toyota/Lexus fans, no?
What do you expect from a Cadillac driver?
Old 05-17-07 | 05:20 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
I think it's wise to change oil more often to keep any tiny metal particles from building up and remain on the engine parts. You want to get that outta here. That means keep flushing it with the oil. I would use regular oil and change every 3000 miles. That'll keep your engine clean. What would you say about that guys? I would think the synthetic oil is more... "sticky", which may attract metal particles and keep them on the engine which may not be a good thing.
If you're so concerned with particles, just change the filter more frequently, not the oil. Even using plain ol' dino oil, the 3k OCI is a OWT, so just change it every 5k (5k OCIs are alot easier to remember) and be happy. The only exception would be if you're a lil' old lady that only drove to church on sundays, then I'd change the oil/filter every year, regardless of miles . . .
Old 05-17-07 | 05:25 PM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
LOL, no, I'm a car enthusiast just like most of you... and I really do like the Lexus IS (I helped my best friend buy one and I'm considering an IS 350 as a daily driver). However, that is pretty much the only Toyota product I'll support; the rest of their lineup appears to me as boring, uninspired, numb appliances (if they don't already drive like one). Hopefully that will be fixed soon as the Supra is coming back, the "F" line is launched and designers are starting to figure out how to give their cars some personality... just as the Koreans are starting to copy popular Japanese offerings.

The sarcasm is a bit of 'ribbing' just as I see day in and out on the forums. Some of you guys are really damn funny, and some are straight cool cats.
Old 05-17-07 | 06:06 PM
Cleric
Driver

LOL, no, I'm a car enthusiast just like most of you... and I really do like the Lexus IS (I helped my best friend buy one and I'm considering an IS 350 as a daily driver). However, that is pretty much the only Toyota product I'll support; the rest of their lineup appears to me as boring, uninspired, numb appliances (if they don't already drive like one). Hopefully that will be fixed soon as the Supra is coming back, the "F" line is launched and designers are starting to figure out how to give their cars some personality... just as the Koreans are starting to copy popular Japanese offerings.

The sarcasm is a bit of 'ribbing' just as I see day in and out on the forums. Some of you guys are really damn funny, and some are straight cool cats.
What is that last word say on your avatar? I can't seem to make it out.
Old 05-17-07 | 06:57 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

i change mine every 3-4k! having clean oil is having a long lasting healthy motor! lol but me driving like crazy flooring it all the time.. not so good* haha
Old 05-18-07 | 11:41 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cleric
What is that last word say on your avatar? I can't seem to make it out.
It looks like 'when they're on fire' . . .
Old 05-18-07 | 02:05 PM
jessvash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
twice? @what mileage?

mine is about 3K miles now.....gonna take the advantage of the free one @5K......

At my Houston, TX dealership (Northside Lexsu) all services, minor and major, are free for the first 25k miles. I love my dealership!

Old 05-18-07 | 06:47 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
It looks like 'when they're on fire' . . .
haha, that is what i thought. thx