IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 03:54 PM
lexusam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1

How many miles are we able to go until the next oil change is due with this mobil 1 5w-20?
Old 05-16-07, 05:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can go up to the moment until the engine chokes and burns...

Some people say 15k miles, but change your oil and filter every 5k miles. Pamper your baby; don't compromise a simple oil change...
Old 05-17-07, 02:15 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

If you are using Mobil 1 fully Synthetic oil, one year or 15,000 miles is more than OK. Changing it more often is like burning money, and contributing to the oil shortage....
Old 05-17-07, 02:38 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fantom
If you are using Mobil 1 fully Synthetic oil, one year or 15,000 miles is more than OK. Changing it more often is like burning money, and contributing to the oil shortage....

Oil shortage from using a synthetic oil?
Old 05-17-07, 02:43 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Well my car hasnt even hit 2800 miles yet and I've changed my oil TWICE already.

I'll probably switch to synthetic at 10k miles.
Old 05-17-07, 03:00 PM
SpookJr
Rookie

haha he said oil shortage
Old 05-17-07, 03:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusam
How many miles are we able to go until the next oil change is due with this mobil 1 5w-20?
technique is expermenting his with 10K miles.....
Old 05-17-07, 03:31 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Well my car hasnt even hit 2800 miles yet and I've changed my oil TWICE already.

I'll probably switch to synthetic at 10k miles.
twice? @what mileage?

mine is about 3K miles now.....gonna take the advantage of the free one @5K......
Old 05-17-07, 03:31 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Oil shortage from using a synthetic oil?
Well, yes....

Mineral oils are based on oil that comes from the ground, which has been refined. Synthetic oils are concocted by chemists wearing white lab coats in oil company laboratories, but they take mineral oil based products to manufacture. The only other type is semi-synthetic, sometimes called premium, which is a blend of the two, and is very popular.

Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (Mobil 1) are actually derived from mineral oils - coming from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. PAO oils will mix with normal mineral oils which means you can add synthetic to your mineral, or mineral to your synthetic without your engine seizing up.

Time between changes, the optimum time for changing oil, is related to a number of factors, of which distance travelled is one of the least important in most cases. Here are most, in an approximate order of importance:
  1. Number of cold starts
  2. Ambient temperature
  3. Effectiveness of crank case scavenging
  4. State of wear of the engine (piston blow-by multiplies the problem)
  5. Injector effectiveness during warm-up
  6. Distance travelled (just to get that one out of the way)
Whatever you feel comfortable with, and can afford. But any simple number of miles rule, is an OWT, and usually based on old oil formulations before additives came along.
Old 05-17-07, 03:38 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpookJr
he said oil shortage
Unless you enjoy contributing to the people trying to kill us, and you don't mind paying exhorbitant prices for a product we can't (for a number of political reasons) produce enough of, and you don't mind having supplies manipulated from OPEC to price gouge......it's a shortage.
Old 05-17-07, 03:44 PM
neil0311
Rookie

Unless you enjoy contributing to the people trying to kill us, and you don't mind paying exhorbitant prices for a product we can't (for a number of political reasons) produce enough of, and you don't mind having supplies manipulated from OPEC to price gouge......it's a shortage.
So what kind of oil do you put in your Prius? You do drive a Prius, right?
Old 05-17-07, 03:57 PM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neil0311
Lawlz! Yes, and now he's contributing to a NICKEL shortage due to the 300# BATTERY tucked under that thing!

15,000 mi. oil change intervals? I don't care what you pour in it--that definitely isn't healthy!

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 exclusively for my daily driver, and although my engine is completely different from yours (OMG rusty American pushrods vs. JDM DOHC sweetness!), I still drive it daily and enjoy extracting every bit of performance out of it.

According to the onboard oil life monitor, I can usually drive up to 7,600 mis. between drain cycles. The oil analysis speaks for itself: Additional mileage will further deplete the amount of protective additives in the oil, subjecting the engine to higher levels of friction and heat.

http://www.doubledeez.net/CTS-V/Blackstone-2-22-07.jpg
Old 05-17-07, 03:59 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neil0311
Actually, when I can, I bike.

Everything in moderation, grasshopper. I make my little contribution by going 10 to 15 thousand miles, depending on the factors below, before changing my Mobil 1 oil and filter.
Old 05-17-07, 04:09 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JerryRig
According to the onboard oil life monitor, I can usually drive up to 7,600 mis. between drain cycles.
Very interesting, and Blackstone is an excellent lab.

When is the last time anyone heard of an engine blowing up because Mobil 1 oil was changed at 10 or 15,000 miles (or one year), rather than at 3 or 5,000. The correct answer is never.

I believe your onboard oil life monitor is driven by either time or miles. It sure isn't determining the condition of the oil, which is a bit of a "black art" (pun intended) anyway. Well done using a lab. I assume you plan to get well over 100,000 out of your motor.
Old 05-17-07, 04:29 PM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting, and Blackstone is an excellent lab.

When is the last time anyone heard of an engine blowing up because Mobil 1 oil was changed at 10 or 15,000 miles (or one year), rather than at 3 or 5,000. The correct answer is never.
Of course not, but it is safe to assume the oil drained at 10-15K intervals has very little additive left, if at all. With complex engines like ours, it's also safe to say it's sheared back to viscosity levels much lower than it was when new, or even with 4,000 mis. of use.

I believe your onboard oil life monitor is driven by either time or miles. It sure isn't determining the condition of the oil, which is a bit of a "black art" (pun intended) anyway. Well done using a lab. I assume you plan to get well over 100,000 out of your motor.
It can't monitor the exact composition of the oil, but it's a bit more complex than a simple timer. I believe the PCM calculates this value from several parameters, including avg. oil temperature, pressure (a GREAT indicator of viscosity/shear), engine RPM, load and miles. It was developed for use with Mobil 1, since that is the factory-fill. It's just nice to know the lab results confirm the results of using the oil life monitor. Note the different drain intervals between the first two changes--these were both conducted as the OLM approached 3% remaining.

What works best for your car depends on these factors among others, including driving habits and environment. I suppose the only way to properly judge this is to have it analyzed and adjust your change intervals accordingly.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1