IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS paint Sux

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 08:18 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I agree with the OP. My car is 7 months old with about 8k miles. I just washed it this weekend and I felt sick to my stomach afterwards. The number of chips on the front bumper is at least 10. I drive half highway half city miles. I never follow trucks closely and the car paint is taken care of very well. I have never put a clear bra on a car and never owned a car that was so susceptible to rock chips. Its sad cause the front end is the best view of the IMO.
Well This particular car is know to have light paint. So what people have done to prevent all this from happening the got the Clear Bra installed. It helpa lot from what i have headr. Im planning on getting it installed also B/c i washed my car today and saw a scratch in the from bumper and it also killed me and i omnly had the car for about a month. so im definalty plainning on getting the clear bra.
Old 05-18-07, 08:27 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not lexus's fault...its the EPA. they're reducing the amount of hardening chemicals they're allowed to put in paint which cause environmental damage.....blah blah blah.

all new cars have and/or going to have this problem.

for the most part, paint is paint. doesnt matter if its a civic or a $40K lexus. why would you spend $40k on a car and not spend $500 for a clear bra? doesnt make sense to me. and dont tell me you cant afford it! :-p

My SGM with a clear bra looks 100% perfect after 5,500 miles. i wash it about twice a week with all the right stuff and using the right procedures and i dont have a single swirl mark.
Old 05-18-07, 08:30 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aira
I went through a automatic car wash and it chipped off some paint near the seam of my fender and bumper.
haha, dont' take your IS thru an automatic car washer. Guys it takes less then 10min to wash your car head to toe. Esp if you are using one fo the no rinse products like Optimum.
Old 05-18-07, 08:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivo154
I didnt think a 35k car would need a clear bra to protect the paint....LOL
How 'bout my $47K Lexus? Should my paint be 33% better than yours? Or a $18K car, should it chip twice as easily? Enlightment me.
Old 05-18-07, 08:54 PM
Turkf26
Driver

A lot of it has to do with the amount of paint on the car (mils). The more mils of paint you have on the car the more prone it is to chipping. All of us 2IS owners with 3 stage paint jobs will have a lot more paint chips that others. There is really nothing you can do about it except like others have said, get a clear bra early/armor coating. I had a Scion tC before the lexus and had no paint chip problems at all. Its not Toyota/Lexus but rather the amount of paint on the vehicle.

Within the next couple years, the EPA is going to phase out all oil based paints and is going to water based paints, yes water based automotive paints! They are going through a testing phase right now and DuPont already has a line of water based paints out. From what i have heard, the water based paints are a little more sturdy/harder than the oil based ones.
Old 05-18-07, 08:56 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the IS's paint all paint on new cars nowadays are more or less the same. If you go on any car board you'll see the same complaints about the crappy paint on so and so model car. If you think it's too thin maybe you can bring it to the body shop and get like 2 coats of clear coat painted on or something.
Old 05-18-07, 09:05 PM
Turkf26
Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
There's nothing wrong with the IS's paint all paint on new cars nowadays are more or less the same. If you go on any car board you'll see the same complaints about the crappy paint on so and so model car. If you think it's too thin maybe you can bring it to the body shop and get like 2 coats of clear coat painted on or something.
If anything, Lexus paint is "thicker" than other vehicles. I have used an -electronic mil gauge on my car and it comes out between 7-8 mills stock. Dodge, VW, Nissan, etc.. have about 4-6 mils of paint. Like stated before, more mils of paint=more prone to chipping.
Old 05-18-07, 09:27 PM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

The paint on the 2IS is really soft so it is real easy to get chipped and scratched. It just goes down to how you drive and how you take care of the paint. The less you tail-gate, the less prone to paint chips, just my $.02.
As for care, search the auto detail and care section of CL, that is where I learned how to take care of this soft Lexus paint. I detail my car about 3-4 times a year, it's time consuming but it will help in making the paint look new.

-Mike
Old 05-18-07, 09:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Or just suck it up and enjoy the car. Then, a couple of years down the road you can have the front bumper repainted. Even with a clear bra there are plenty of ways your car can get chipped (sides, hood, etc). It is almost inevitable. It's just an inanimate object; don't fall in love with it.
Old 05-18-07, 09:41 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Doesnt look like it's natural occurance. Looks like someone over cleaned the car or maybe the whole car was resprayed with cheap paint...
Old 05-18-07, 10:12 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

swirls look normal to me on that color of car. the chips, well, i have 6K miles on my car and no 2 pencil tip chips. downside is i'm not chasing after the reaer ends of big rigs and bigfoots. maybe breakwater blue is stronger than other colors?
Old 05-18-07, 10:14 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Or just suck it up and enjoy the car. Then, a couple of years down the road you can have the front bumper repainted. Even with a clear bra there are plenty of ways your car can get chipped (sides, hood, etc). It is almost inevitable. It's just an inanimate object; don't fall in love with it.
That's what im doing. Abuse it to the max yo, that's why you lease.
Old 05-18-07, 10:28 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is caused by not knowing how to take care of darker color paints, charcoal grey, black, burgundy, dark green, dark blue,these type of paints are unforgiving. I will admit , im not good with keeping with darker colors thats why i traded in my 04 black tsx and got this car. I liked the tsx it had 16k in two years but the outside looked like crap...
Old 05-18-07, 10:53 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

primer it. gangster time
Old 05-19-07, 01:59 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

proper wash/wax procedure car will prolong the shine....

Quick Reply: IS paint Sux