IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS paint Sux

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 02:55 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Even with a clear bra there are plenty of ways your car can get chipped (sides, hood, etc). It is almost inevitable.

Yep. I have a small chip in the area below the headlight that isn't covered by the clear bra. D'oh!
Old 05-19-07, 03:05 AM
hguy4x
Driver

yea the paint chips easily. I figured that out even before i got my car a year ago. as homer says even w/ a clear bra, I have chips on my hood/fenders where the clear bra doesn't cover. life goes on.
Old 05-19-07, 04:11 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Someone needs to learn how to wash/dry their car. That's absurd to blame the paint.
LOL.... I don't normally agree with the things you post Timbo but in this case...
Old 05-19-07, 04:44 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are going to keep the IS for some time you MUST have a Clear-Bra. The sooner the better. I got mine 1 week after ownership and I still have one chip on the hood.

Koz
Old 05-19-07, 07:04 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Just live with them. Its part of car ownership unless you only drive your car on the weekends. If the small stuff like that gets to you then you will never enjoy your car. If it makes you feel better I got red mud on the interior of my car and I haven't cleaned it yet!

I didn't even get the clear bra on my car because I knew with all the interstate travel I do there would be no protection. Hehe I am washing my car later I should take pictures of all my chips so you can feel better about your situation.

I didn't name my car Chip for nothing.
Old 05-19-07, 07:18 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

No, whatever the reason is you cant change the fact that the IS (and all current Lexus vehicles as well Im sure) really do have crappy paint. From day one my cars paint has felt sub par. My mom 01 camry feels like its in only slightly less condition. Its going to take a lot of work to maintain this cars paint.

Oh and to add to it the windsheild glass is crap too! I have never before owned a vehicle that would chip so easily and with a bunch of light chips from things that did not hit that hard.
Old 05-19-07, 07:41 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
this is all cuz of not caring for the paint. With a clay bar all the swirls marks go away (I think) And for the chip marks, you probably didnt get a clear bra for ur car unless the chips are some other place on ur car.
A clay bar will not remove swirl marks. It simply removes any contaminants from the paint. See here: http://www.properautocare.com/blpoiiclba.html

If you want a solution to fix the chips, try this: http://www.langka.com/

As far as removing swirl marks goes... here is a good starting point:
http://www.properautocare.com/reswwaspincl.html
Old 05-19-07, 08:02 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also like poorboys ssr3 , ssr2 and ssr1 for removing swirls.
Old 05-19-07, 08:09 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Just drive it till its more chipped then throw some D's on that ***** and some CANDY paint..
Old 05-19-07, 08:43 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buds
A clay bar will not remove swirl marks. It simply removes any contaminants from the paint. See here: http://www.properautocare.com/blpoiiclba.html

If you want a solution to fix the chips, try this: http://www.langka.com/

As far as removing swirl marks goes... here is a good starting point:
http://www.properautocare.com/reswwaspincl.html
Agreed. Claying is just the first step. Use it before you do some POLISHING which can remove micro scratches and swirls.
Old 05-19-07, 08:58 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

This is a simple problem with all cars today since the switched to the new paint years ago. All of my cars have chipped like a SOB. Someone said their 4 year old Honda did have problems, all 10 of my Hondas were HORRIBLE for paint chips and such. My IS has a clear bra on the hood but not on the bumper and with 6500 miles, its riddled with rocks (and note, its very rare for our roads to be rocked even in winter). Especially down by the fog lights, its real bad down there for some reason.
Old 05-19-07, 09:20 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My IS has horrible paint chips ALL OVER the front end of the car, and I only have 20k miles. I'm thinking about getting it resprayed already.... It looks like someone took a sandblaster and had a field day.

My S2000 had fewer chips in the 60K I owned it. And that car was much lower to the ground.

FWIW my 00 Accord hardly had any rock chips on it in the 100K I drove that one.
Old 05-19-07, 11:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
haha, dont' take your IS thru an automatic car washer. Guys it takes less then 10min to wash your car head to toe. Esp if you are using one fo the no rinse products like Optimum.
Optimum
Old 05-19-07, 01:57 PM
j|michael
Driver

I had a clear bra installed when I bought the car, but it only covered the hood and side panels. Now, at 21,000 miles, the hood and side panels look GREAT! but the bumper, where they didn't install a clear bra, looks absolutely horrible. same story as everyone.

So I'm killing a few birds with one stone. I'm having my bodyshop remove my front bumper and re-paint and clear coat the whole thing, then I'm having another shop install a full bumper clear bra for $350. If it's anything like my hood, it should hold up great for years to come. Definitely worth the $350.
Old 05-19-07, 03:08 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Just live with them. Its part of car ownership unless you only drive your car on the weekends. If the small stuff like that gets to you then you will never enjoy your car. If it makes you feel better I got red mud on the interior of my car and I haven't cleaned it yet!

I didn't even get the clear bra on my car because I knew with all the interstate travel I do there would be no protection. Hehe I am washing my car later I should take pictures of all my chips so you can feel better about your situation.

I didn't name my car Chip for nothing.
exactly....bigger rocks are not safe (protected). then you still get rock chip (big one) and now you need to fix the clear bra.... $_$ !

Quick Reply: IS paint Sux