IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS paint Sux

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 07:26 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
why would you spend $40k on a car and not spend $500 for a clear bra?
i had never heard of a clear bra until i started looking around on this site. i was into jdm hondas and dsms before i got my IS and i only had to worry about paint chipping off if i bottomed out in my slammed eclipse. i never had any noticeable rock chips. are clear bras really 500 bucks? if so, my IS will just have to suffer lol.
Old 05-19-07, 08:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Someone needs to learn how to wash/dry their car. That's absurd to blame the paint.
It isn't absurd at all actually. I dont know if this is true with all Lexus vehicles, but the paint on the IS is way to soft.
Old 05-19-07, 08:45 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

same water based paint as on every other vehicle.
Old 05-20-07, 12:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

In that cases Lexus needs to develup a new paint formula. The paint on our S Class is far more durable then the IS.
Old 05-20-07, 06:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
In that cases Lexus needs to develup a new paint formula. The paint on our S Class is far more durable then the IS.
lexus doesnt make their own paint, neither do the other vehicle manafacturers, its all supplied
Old 05-20-07, 07:08 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
So I take it you have an S class and your drive it equally as much as your IS and on the same roads? Is it a newer S class?

I really think its just the paint that all of the companies are using. I guess it just doesn't cure as hard or they don't apply enough coats of clear coat or something, but this appears to be happening on all new cars. I know the BMW and Infiniti fans are complaining about the same thing.
Old 05-20-07, 09:44 AM
Turkf26
Driver

car makers are not using water based paints yet for their vehicles. It has been the same paint for years and years...

If you really have the money and time, go to a bodyshop, have them repaint your front end with SRC (Scratch Resistant Clear). This clear is used on all 2003+ Mercedes/BMW and actually does prevent a lot of scracthes/pits. We tested it at work on a damaged fender off an 05 E Class and it does resist a lot of scratches. Also if it does scratch, it is easily buffed out and never seen again.
Old 05-20-07, 12:34 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
lexus doesnt make their own paint, neither do the other vehicle manafacturers, its all supplied
That's great... What exactly is your point? That does not change the fact that the paint on the IS is too soft, regardless of who supplies the paint. Or are you suggesting it's the paint suppliers who have Lexus by the ***** and call the shots as to which paint to use???

Your frame of reference is no different than someone who is 100lbs over weight and eats 5+ whoppers a day claiming he has no control over his weight becuase he's not the one who makes the whoppers.

So I take it you have an S class and your drive it equally as much as your IS and on the same roads? Is it a newer S class?
The S-Class has about 2k miles less than the IS does, and yes it gets driven on the same roads, there are no "s class only" roads around where I live. And NO, all the companies are not using the same paint.
Old 05-20-07, 12:46 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkf26
car makers are not using water based paints yet for their vehicles. It has been the same paint for years and years...

All the major manufacturers have been using water based paints for years. The old two pack paints have been phased out due to their toxicity and the environmental damage they do.
Old 05-20-07, 04:19 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

The people that think this is normal are nutso. I have a mini rock chip meet going on 24/7 under each of my foglights. Yay!
Old 05-20-07, 06:05 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually think I have more rock chips on my IS than my DC2 and its be repainted too! Who knows...
Old 05-20-07, 08:57 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i just never understood.. how is using lead in the paint so that its alot tougher and strong a danger to the environment?
Old 05-20-07, 08:59 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i just never understood.. how is using lead in the paint so that its alot tougher and strong a danger to the environment?
Something like toxins are released into the ground when it breaks down. It may get to the water system etc, etc...of course this is just a guess, I'm sure there is some real scientific explanation for it
Old 05-21-07, 01:26 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

You guys are hilarious telling him that if he washed his car this would not have happened to him... no car paint should be so weak that it goes to crap unless you detail it yourself at home. Fine if automatic carwashes are bad but you should not have to take extra special care, than you otherwise would.

A bit off topic but apparently Mercedes have started using a paint with microscopic pieces of ceramic in it to minimize the possibility of chipping the paint job.
Old 05-21-07, 10:49 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
It's the toxins that are given off as it's applied that are the problem.

Quick Reply: IS paint Sux