IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav DVD changed, now Voice Commands don't work...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 08:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Nav DVD changed, now Voice Commands don't work...

Had problems with my Nav DVD, so my service tech changed it (or so it seems; Nav Disc version is still 6.1. Isn't that the '06 version?).

Now I have two problems:

1) Satellite still doesn't work. The map "guesses" where I'm at according to my speed and turns.

2) Voice command button doesn't work. When I press the button, it immediately pops up "Voice Recognition Cancelled."

WHAT GIVES?

I don't mind going to the dealer, but I do mind waiting what seems like forever to get it fixed.

Anyone know of any possible fixes?
Old 05-22-07, 08:22 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh, well yes the version 6.1 is the 07 version, 5.1 was the 06 version, and from what I understand, as a fix for the voice command recognition TSIB there was an updated DVD from the 07 version. But I havent read anything here about that one... Id take it back and show them! Or find someone to hook you up with at least the loading kiwi file from the original 07 version. Maybe talk to Technique about this one...
Old 05-22-07, 10:16 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the voice command issue off and on. It seems that if I reset the battery the voice command doesn’t work for a couple of days. But I have a hybrid DVD in mine so who knows.
Old 05-22-07, 11:12 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

only TSB's for the navigation that I know of are these 2:

EL003-07 Navigation System Voice Recognition System Talk Back Malfunction
EL013-06 Navigation System Shows Vehicle In Wrong Location
Old 05-22-07, 01:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by car_lost
Thanks. I'll check with my service tech regarding such concerns...
Old 05-22-07, 05:43 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I just started having issues with my navigation system since yesterday as well. I drove down to Key West on Saturday and it worked fine. Then yesterday on the way back, all it showed was a light blue screen. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening, but then I noticed that "GPS" didn't appear in the upper right corner of the screen. The blue screen happened to be either Florida Bay or the Atlantic Ocean. I thought that maybe shutting the car down would maybe reset it, but that didn't work either. I was thinking that maybe this has something to do with the satellites and not my car, since my XM seemed to be hit and miss on my drive home this afternoon. (Maybe the aliens are coming a la Independence Day, and they're taking out all the satellites!!! ) I called my local dealer on the drive home, but apparently their tech geeks that handle all of the navigation problems already left for the day. I've had issues in the past where the nav screen goes from map to a black and white striped screen. Of course, since this happens so rarely, when I brought it in to check it out, they pretty much played it off and said there was nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-22-07, 07:21 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecr527
I just started having issues with my navigation system since yesterday as well. I drove down to Key West on Saturday and it worked fine. Then yesterday on the way back, all it showed was a light blue screen. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening, but then I noticed that "GPS" didn't appear in the upper right corner of the screen. The blue screen happened to be either Florida Bay or the Atlantic Ocean. I thought that maybe shutting the car down would maybe reset it, but that didn't work either. I was thinking that maybe this has something to do with the satellites and not my car, since my XM seemed to be hit and miss on my drive home this afternoon. (Maybe the aliens are coming a la Independence Day, and they're taking out all the satellites!!! ) I called my local dealer on the drive home, but apparently their tech geeks that handle all of the navigation problems already left for the day. I've had issues in the past where the nav screen goes from map to a black and white striped screen. Of course, since this happens so rarely, when I brought it in to check it out, they pretty much played it off and said there was nothing wrong with it.
i've had the exact same problem and guess what? it was on the same trip as yours... haha. there is a fix for this. in one of the previous posts i posted this link: http://is350.007ihost.com/tsib/EL013...20Location.pdf I took my car to Lexus of Kendall and they took care of it.
Old 07-09-07, 05:07 PM
Kuki_350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Huh, well yes the version 6.1 is the 07 version, 5.1 was the 06 version, and from what I understand, as a fix for the voice command recognition TSIB there was an updated DVD from the 07 version. But I havent read anything here about that one... Id take it back and show them! Or find someone to hook you up with at least the loading kiwi file from the original 07 version. Maybe talk to Technique about this one...
I have the same problem and my dealership change the Nav DVD, but when i went in and check to see which version my map DVD has, and it showed 5.1. So my question is that did they order me a new DVD of 06 version or what? and does that really fix the problem, because from what i gathered reading various posts including this one that only the updated software i.e version 6.1 will fix this problem with the Nav. Sorry if i don't make any sense, kind of hungry right now.
Old 07-09-07, 05:57 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kuki_350
I have the same problem and my dealership change the Nav DVD, but when i went in and check to see which version my map DVD has, and it showed 5.1. So my question is that did they order me a new DVD of 06 version or what? and does that really fix the problem, because from what i gathered reading various posts including this one that only the updated software i.e version 6.1 will fix this problem with the Nav. Sorry if i don't make any sense, kind of hungry right now.
Well they may have given you one of the update versions, not a complete upgrade to 6.1. There are updated versions within the 5.1 "series" if you will.
Old 07-09-07, 07:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default UPDATE: Voice commands fixed...

Turns out that when my Nav went haywire, they replaced it with the wrong generation disc (probably the '07 4th gen Nav disc for the GS/RX).

Got the appropriate fix: an '07 5th gen Nav disc for the IS. No more secret menu for using the keys while driving...
Old 07-09-07, 11:38 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

phil> why not get an '06 5th gen nav disc?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 07-10-07 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-10-07, 08:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by projectdna
phil> why not get an '06 5th gen nav disc?
I think I'll be o.k. with the '07. The '06 disc gave me lots of problems, so I don't want to revert back to it.

If something better comes along in the future, I'll change it again...
Old 07-10-07, 10:47 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it working!

Booooo to your dealership for giving you a 4th gen nav disc though