IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First Mod. W00t!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 08:35 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
You should be able to beat the 350z fairly easy as long as he isn't spraying or boosted.
Is she in a 250 or 350? hahah She wont need to do anything if she is in a 350. matter of fact, give them a car length or two.

I will no longer even waste my gas racing 350z's or g35's. At 3.00 a gallon its a waste of time.

congrats on your intake install.
Old 05-24-07, 08:36 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Please correct me if I am wrong.
How is that metal intake pipe any better? Metal retains heat more than plastic or rubber. Looks like you kept the stock airbox too. What you did actually decrease performance.
Let me correct you now then.

The JoeZ intake pipe allows the IS to breathe better. The majority of all intake pipes are a form of plastic/metal. And heat while the car is moving is not that big of an issue.

Now other intakes I have read up on, that do not utilize the stock intake box have not really yielded any horsepower, however the JoeZ pipe on several cars has yielded atleast 6 wheel horse power. From what I have read those other intakes make a nice sound and not so much for slight performance.

I don't think I lost performance, I certainly gained some. From take off, to pushing the car at 80 mph it definately has a little oomph that wasn't there before. Is this the placebo effect? I have no idea but by seat of the pants it feels slightly more beefy. I am sure there are other JoeZ users, such as Cayman(He and someone else had a dyno. Maybe it was Gernby?) who can attest to the slight HP increase and from what I understand 4-6 whp from an intake is fairly impressive. I hope that clears things up!

I also realize all cars aren't created equal so no one will truly know until I do a dyno. But going to the track tonight to see if I can improve my 13.6 @ 101 since the car is breathing better.

Last edited by IS_Mine; 05-24-07 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 08:48 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

Nice Mod - Congrats. Do you have a link for JoeZ, can you hear and is there a difference in the sound?
Old 05-25-07, 05:50 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

There is a sound to the JoeZ intake pipe.

I noticed it the other night. You can't hear the pipe inside the car but if you have the windows down you can REALLY tell something is there. So from the outside, yes.. there is a sound. Inside.. no you can't notice.
Old 05-25-07, 05:57 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Also the intake has given me an additional 1 to 2 miles per gallon when driving.

I now get a consistent 26.5 to 27 mpg on the interstate @ 80mph. Now that is EXCELLENT gas mileage.
Old 05-25-07, 06:37 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Let me correct you now then.

The JoeZ intake pipe allows the IS to breathe better. The majority of all intake pipes are a form of plastic/metal. And heat while the car is moving is not that big of an issue.

Now other intakes I have read up on, that do not utilize the stock intake box have not really yielded any horsepower, however the JoeZ pipe on several cars has yielded atleast 6 wheel horse power. From what I have read those other intakes make a nice sound and not so much for slight performance.

I don't think I lost performance, I certainly gained some. From take off, to pushing the car at 80 mph it definately has a little oomph that wasn't there before. Is this the placebo effect? I have no idea but by seat of the pants it feels slightly more beefy. I am sure there are other JoeZ users, such as Cayman(He and someone else had a dyno. Maybe it was Gernby?) who can attest to the slight HP increase and from what I understand 4-6 whp from an intake is fairly impressive. I hope that clears things up!

I also realize all cars aren't created equal so no one will truly know until I do a dyno. But going to the track tonight to see if I can improve my 13.6 @ 101 since the car is breathing better.
looks good !
r u gonna dyno and see the hp increase?
Old 05-25-07, 11:21 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Also the intake has given me an additional 1 to 2 miles per gallon when driving.

I now get a consistent 26.5 to 27 mpg on the interstate @ 80mph. Now that is EXCELLENT gas mileage.
Did you reset the ECU ? I'm curious to see if the higher mpg is consistent over your next several tankfuls, or maybe you got lucky with your last fillup ?!?!?
Old 05-25-07, 11:50 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Did you reset the ECU ?
exactly, the same thing about, 'the kick' is said about reseting the ecu every few thousand miles. 98% of the time your car is learning what real world driving is like and NOT that 2% that causes trips to your body n fender guy.
Old 05-25-07, 11:53 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
Did you reset the ECU ? I'm curious to see if the higher mpg is consistent over your next several tankfuls, or maybe you got lucky with your last fillup ?!?!?
No I did not reset the ECU, but I will say when I put the intake in the car lost some gas mileage. After an hour or so of driving it appeared to adjust the A/F ratio itself. IE the car taught itself.

I have a 90+ mile round trip commute daily. The intake does assist in eating gas.. I burned 20 miles worth of gas in 10 miles by abusing the car (Many spurts of 80 to 100 in 4th and 5th gear. ). After that abusive 10 miles my AVG not Tank AVG read anywhere from 23.5 to 24 mpg. Now, on my way home from work(45 miles) I behaved and the car slowly crept from those numbers toward 26.1 to 26.7 mpg. If I drive the speed limit which is 70 it is consistent toward being right at 27 mpg.

I filled the car up yesterday (added 14.3 gallons) and my AVG reads at 26 plus or minus a few tenths. I'll keep you all updated but as of now the intake at regular driving (for me atleast) has improved my gas mileage from 1 to 2 mpg. My mileage to go after fill up was 390. So 390 into 14.3 is roughly 27.27.. So after I have to go and fill up again I'll have a true number, and know whether or not on my second tank of gas the intake does in fact improve gas mileage.

Oh and to add tonight I am putting the stock intake back in so I can take my car to the dealership so the engine cranking noise can be fixed. I'm not sure if the intake voids the warranty but I don't want to deal with the hastle (sp?). Anyway I'll be able to tell then whether the intake assists in better gas mileage because the stock intake retards some air intake.

Last edited by IS_Mine; 05-25-07 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-25-07, 10:16 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

intake does not void your warranty.
Old 05-25-07, 10:25 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Howcome you left the stock box? I have the 07 GS350 and K&N claims 18+HP for the full intake system with filter. DYNO'ed too. I'm surprised you didn't do the filter too.
Old 05-25-07, 11:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fujifuzz
K&N claims 18+HP for the full intake system with filter.
fuji, quick question, full intake /w filter?, you mean a fipk/typhoon type filter and the tube or a tube to a stock airbox with drop in filter?
Old 05-25-07, 11:28 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice very nice
Old 05-26-07, 12:17 AM
1022it
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Good luck out there tomorrow and congrats on the 1st mod. Does the 350z have any mods done? Make sure you have 1/4 tank of gas or less, pump up those front tires to 45+psi, rear tires to 28psi and pull that spare. You should be able to beat the 350z fairly easy as long as he isn't spraying or boosted.

BTW...See if you can get a video!
Before you listen to this guy about throwing 45psi of pressure into your front tires, make sure the max pressure isn't 40psi. don't ever overinflate a tire past its maximum printed pressure.

everything else he said was dead on, except that you might want to air down the back tires some more. it all depends on how well you hook up. if you are still chirping and sliding around on the track take the back tires down a little at a time. don't go less than 16psi though, you will start spinning the bead of the tire.

as for the heat transfer issue of the metal intake in regards to the factory intake; it is a valid point. hot air has less oxygen molecules than cold air. However, if you can put a higher volume of air to your intake, without heating up the air, you will definitely have increased performance.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-29-07 at 11:42 AM. Reason: removed immature commentary
Old 05-26-07, 09:11 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Well I am taking the car to the track tomorrow to see.

Got a friend in a 350z that wants to run me.
Cool mod.

Where can I get a joez intake? Been looking but no luck.
Are you running the stock air filter in the box?
Thanks for the info in advance.

Quick Reply: First Mod. W00t!