IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Cracked for the THIRD TIME!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 05:12 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Yall got the Houston descriptions down perfectly, people are crazy out here!!"

"Add to that the fact that the roadkill I dodge every day is outrageous. I could swear that I dodged a dead elephant this morning on the highway!!"

I know this is getting off topic, but both of you guys are too funny! One of my co-workers and I always joke about the fact that you can furnish your house here in the Houston area just by picking up old furniture thats been dumped on (you name the road, it's there) side of the road. Need a used old car that requires a lot of work, come to Houston, the pickings are here.

Need a new mattress? Name your size, it's here, but it will be a DNA Goldmine for some of those TV shows where they do all the detective work. If you can put up with that it's here, FREE of Charge, Baby!!!!
Old 05-30-07, 11:04 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
Add to that the fact that the roadkill I dodge every day is outrageous. I could swear that I dodged a dead elephant this morning on the highway!!

Classic!!
Old 05-30-07, 11:42 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

lol... Yes, driving on Houston roads can be an Adventure.

I got a pretty good chip a few months back but fortunately, it hasn't spread.

What pisses me off are the trucks that are filthy, over/poorly packed, driving like it's the Indy 500, with a barrage of '$41t' flying off the back... all things that could be avoided.
Old 05-30-07, 01:52 PM
ToastedAzn
Rookie

Old Oiler isnt kiddin about beds being on the freeway sometimes lol.

Few years back I was heading up to College Station driving my Tundra with me and my buddys race bikes loaded on a trailer heading down 290 at 5 in the morning.There was a Civic that shot right passed us doing about 90 and about a good half mile away my buddy says HEY!LOOK AT THAT GUY SPIN OUT.Obviously he hit something on the freeway and managed somehow not to hit the wall.Drove by and sure enough it was a queen size matress right there!

Worst part was to come.The a-hole that dumped the first part of the matress decided since he chunked one part might as well dump the other half on the other side of the overpass under Beltway-8.Ended up running over it and almost losing control with the trailer swinging violenty out back.Needless to say my nerves were shot for the rest of the day

BTW have 80k on my 04 Tundra with multiple chips and nicks on front windshield withno crack whatsoever

07 IS, on my second windshield with a new crack already

I think my Lexus is cursed or its just plain bad luck
Old 06-05-07, 11:59 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you bought WINGUARD from the dealership, get a REFUND!!!!!!! Today I had my appointment with Lexus and I recieved some very disturbing news. Winguard is only to repair a crack that is less than 6 inches. They will not replace the windshield if it is longer.The reason I'm a little upset is because I could have went with AUTOSHIELD PLUS (had it on my 250) and they would have replaced the window for free, but you live and you learn. So for anyone that is purchasing a Lexus you might want to one get the MAP Tire/Wheel Protection, and go with a outside source for your windshield.BTW Lexus IS350 (can't be ordered so you have to get the 2006 IS250, hoping it fits since there were no major changes) front windshield $875, plus the side moldings and insallation a little over $1000I think I'm going to let my insurance (GEICO) handle this (Pay the $250 Deductible) because I think that the cost of repairs have to be over $3000 for it to affect your policy (If anyone knows something about this, please respond)!

Last edited by 350PsDMeuP; 06-05-07 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 12:23 PM
jayhawk785
Driver School Candidate

Should move to Florida, rock chips/windshield replacements are covered with zero deductible automatically. So, if you have a chip, and you want a new windshield... just hit it so it spiders, call safelite... and BAM! new windshield
Old 06-05-07, 01:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastedAzn

BTW have 80k on my 04 Tundra with multiple chips and nicks on front windshield withno crack whatsoever

07 IS, on my second windshield with a new crack already

I think my Lexus is cursed or its just plain bad luck
For my 04 Tundra w/ 60K, I've already cracked 2 windshields. So far for the 07 IS w/ 11K, no cracks but very pitted.
Old 06-05-07, 01:31 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it happened... I got a 3/4 inch crack down by the windshield wipers. Sux. I wont be replacing it though. Its far too small and not noticeable for me to worry about it.
Old 06-06-07, 05:29 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Well on the way home yesterday evening a large piece of metal came bouncing down the road out of nowhere and caught me right in the middle of the front window about 6 inches above the hood.

The impact left a silver dollar sized hole in the glass, actually I'm lucky the object didn't come all the way though but bounced off.

Soooooo... I have an appointment to have the glass replaced Friday. Actually I'm a bit worried about it because I've had a bad experience windshield replacement in the past.

I'll let everyone know how this turns out... I hate driving in Houston sometimes.
Old 06-13-07, 02:57 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Winguard actually did help a little bit, today the quote for my windshield and installaton was 269.97, which is extremely cheap comapared to the dealership. the dealership quoted me a total price of $600 for the generic and $1100 for the OEM. Im still going to AUtoshield plus because they would have replaced the windshield for free!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-07, 08:07 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

after reading this thread i don't feel so bad about getting a chip in my windshield. As the story goes I was driving thru Houston, actually I was already out of Houston on I-10 going towards Beaumont. All of sudden I hear a popping sound, but didn't think too much of it. Later I notice a small circular dent in the windshield and think to myself that not a bug! I was not following close to anyone. Still makes me a lil sad. The chip isn't too bad I'll call my insurance on monday to check if its covered. If not i'll take to a repair shop. Anyone know of a good place in San Antonio?

Oh and I saw the biggest road kill while driving thru Houston! HUGE dog just laying there on the side of the road. I wanna see the car that hit that sucker

Last edited by DRivera250; 07-06-07 at 08:35 PM. Reason: grammatical mistake
Old 07-06-07, 10:01 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i didnt read thewholethread but cant you just clearbra the windshield? that would protect it from chips....
Old 07-07-07, 12:56 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

no its not strong enough! clearbra will also get its nips, but it still protects the paint pretty well! in my opinion the best protection for the windshield is to get it insured or make sure your car insurance non-collision deductible is very low, the windshield retails for around 1,100 installed, which i would rather pay the deductible. i went with map who is the same company that protects our tires, they dont replace it for free but they give you a discounted rate of like 360, if you have autoshield plus in cali, they will replae the windshield for free and their contracts start at about 500 for 5 years. i had autoshield plus on my 250 and they replaced the windshield for free but its non transferrable so when i got my 350 my 500 bucks went out the window!
Old 07-07-07, 01:48 AM
V.I.P.
Pole Position

wow i thought it was only my car....bought the car drove it twice. washed the car. bamm i notice a hairline crack on my windshield...wth only 3 days and the dealer said they cant do anything about it =(
Old 07-07-07, 09:00 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

would your insurance rate go up every time you make a claim for your windshield?

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked for the THIRD TIME!!!!