IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Lo-Jack.... Good idea or fuggetabout it?
Yes
53.66%
No
46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 06:29 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OoAaronoO
Im with u if they want the car they can have it ill get another.
There’s a bit of a flaw in your position. Your insurance company will replace your car with one of similar value (or a cash out which will be much less than a new car). That means you’ll be getting a used car, and if you’ve taken good car of your old car, there’s no guarantee that the replacement vehicle will have had the same care.

I’d much rather have my old car back, and with lo-jack there's a good chance you'll get it back before the thieves have had time to screw it up.
Old 05-27-07, 07:49 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Well thats the chance u take. i was just stating if someone wants your car. lo jack or not they will get it. As if someone was to steal my car while during the night im sure they would have plent of enough time to do what they want while i sleep. And it is only a car their are more important things in life. you can always replace a car if u r not satisifed with what u get in return.
Old 05-28-07, 12:38 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
There’s a bit of a flaw in your position. Your insurance company will replace your car with one of similar value (or a cash out which will be much less than a new car). That means you’ll be getting a used car, and if you’ve taken good car of your old car, there’s no guarantee that the replacement vehicle will have had the same care.

I’d much rather have my old car back, and with lo-jack there's a good chance you'll get it back before the thieves have had time to screw it up.
True, but you can get a "generous" value from the insurance company if you really work with them. Gives you an excuse to get a new car

Also, if a guy has the equipment to steal an IS then they mean business. I am sure he is not going to baby your car and take it for a little cruise. He will have a shop nearby ready to chop her up.
Old 05-28-07, 09:30 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
True, but you can get a "generous" value from the insurance company if you really work with them. Gives you an excuse to get a new car

Also, if a guy has the equipment to steal an IS then they mean business. I am sure he is not going to baby your car and take it for a little cruise. He will have a shop nearby ready to chop her up.
Wow, some of you guys really like to argue. First of all, the reduction in insurance premiums for having lo-jack pays for it right there. Second, the term “generous value” from an insurance company is IMHO an oxymoron. There’s no such thing. If your car is at least a year old you’re going to take a $5,000 or more hit on replacing it. No insurance company is going to give you a brand new 2007 Lexus to replace a 2006 or older model.

The whole point of having lo-jack is to get your car back in hours versus days. In that it’s virtually free anyway, that’s a hard deal to refuse, especially if your insurance rates go up if they have to replace your non-lo-jack, stolen car that found its way to a chop shop.
Old 05-28-07, 11:32 AM
OoAaronoO
Driver

First off my car is a 07 not a 06 well i might have to check this insurance thing out. i pay 595 for every 6 months. then when i turn 25 is sep i get a $200 reduction and i dont have lo jack. My point is what if was stolen over night while u r sleeping? do u wake up every few hrs to see if your car is there? I doubt it. Also not knowing everyones $$$ status.. you are driving a lexus not a dodge neon so you shouldn't complain bout haveing to throw up a few dollars if the situation were to occur.
Old 05-28-07, 12:54 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
Wow, some of you guys really like to argue. First of all, the reduction in insurance premiums for having lo-jack pays for it right there. Second, the term “generous value” from an insurance company is IMHO an oxymoron. There’s no such thing. If your car is at least a year old you’re going to take a $5,000 or more hit on replacing it. No insurance company is going to give you a brand new 2007 Lexus to replace a 2006 or older model.

The whole point of having lo-jack is to get your car back in hours versus days. In that it’s virtually free anyway, that’s a hard deal to refuse, especially if your insurance rates go up if they have to replace your non-lo-jack, stolen car that found its way to a chop shop.
Well, the thread title is "Lo-Jack on the 2IS...Thoughts?" so I am assuming the OP wanted some type of debate on the subject.

Some insurance companies do not give a discount for having Lo-Jack. Also, the discount that they do give can be minimal and does not pay for it right away, rather over a period of several years.

What I meant by generous value is that you could fight to get more money for the value of your car at the time. Obviously they are not going to pay for a new car. I did a search and an 2G IS has not been reported stolen on this site yet. I give it a couple more years before the technology for stealing our cars is mainstream and by then you might want a new car anyways.
Old 05-28-07, 04:26 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OoAaronoO
First off my car is a 07 not a 06 well i might have to check this insurance thing out. i pay 595 for every 6 months. then when i turn 25 is sep i get a $200 reduction and i dont have lo jack. My point is what if was stolen over night while u r sleeping? do u wake up every few hrs to see if your car is there? I doubt it. Also not knowing everyones $$$ status.. you are driving a lexus not a dodge neon so you shouldn't complain bout haveing to throw up a few dollars if the situation were to occur.
Well, that’s the problem. Your IS is supposed to be in a locked garage at night while you sleep. I think there’s some small print somewhere in your policy about leaving a Lexus on the street after hours. You're also not supposed to live in certain neighborhoods where luxury cars are theif magnets.

You better hire a guard while you slumber, or get lo-jack right away lest a future claim be completely denied. And be sure to save your receipts on those $4,000 rims you want, lest that part of your claim is refused.
Old 05-28-07, 05:57 PM
danis
Rookie

Default Early Warning

If worried about sleeping etc. - pay a couple hundred bucks to get early warning added and Lo-Jack will call your phone if your car is moved more than 100 yards.
Old 05-28-07, 08:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

shameless plug: http://www.sprint.com/familylocator
Old 05-28-07, 09:17 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Sorry my apt complex doesnt have garages at the 1200 a month we pay. lookin to buy a house next yr and will build a garage.. also those 4k rims will be covered in my insurance they can have at the wheels when they drive my car off on a flatbed
Old 05-28-07, 09:19 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Originally Posted by danis
If worried about sleeping etc. - pay a couple hundred bucks to get early warning added and Lo-Jack will call your phone if your car is moved more than 100 yards.
to danis i am not worried about my car being stolen. and i slept through hurricane katrina and sleep though most phone calls at night. probley would not help
Old 05-29-07, 01:20 AM
danger4o5
Pole Position

I don't know much about Lo-Jack but I have Lifetrak. And its a beautiful item. I have the option of locating the car on the web at anytime, disable the car, and even as far as setting a "speedtrap" if someone goes over a certain MPH to my phone.
Old 05-30-07, 08:22 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by danger4o5
I don't know much about Lo-Jack but I have Lifetrak. And its a beautiful item. I have the option of locating the car on the web at anytime, disable the car, and even as far as setting a "speedtrap" if someone goes over a certain MPH to my phone.
Wow, thats crazy. Sounds costly though.
Old 05-30-07, 10:14 AM
davidbenji
Pole Position

IMO, I don't want my car back if its stolen. It will probably be beaten to **** inside and out. Its great car, but its not a 1967 Shelby. I can go to the dealership and pick up the exact car with no problems.

My friends think I am crazy. Anyone have this position or am I nutso?
I wouldnt want my car back if stolen either. Theives dont care how much you pay for a car or how much or how little the car matters to you...hence the term drive it like you stole it.
Old 05-30-07, 10:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, I don't want my car back if its stolen. It will probably be beaten to **** inside and out. Its great car, but its not a 1967 Shelby. I can go to the dealership and pick up the exact car with no problems.

My friends think I am crazy. Anyone have this position or am I nutso?
couldnt agree more

Quick Reply: Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?