IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Lo-Jack.... Good idea or fuggetabout it?
Yes
53.66%
No
46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 11:10 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow . . . it's only going to be a matter of time before we see the hackers coming or sending the gear to America and the RoW Markets.

It's really sad to see people undermining value and hard work.
Old 05-30-07, 11:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
It's really sad to see people undermining value and hard work.
Yeah. That's been going on for a long time.

People don't care if you worked weeks for anything, and they think it's fine to take it just because they think they also deserve it...
Old 05-30-07, 11:41 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If someone wanna steal your car, no matter what kind of security system you have, they will still steal it.

If your car is being stolen, you dont want to have it back cos you would NEVER know what they have done to it.

so....my conclusion is:

If they want to steal it, let them do it and make sure I dont see it. I'll just let my insurance pays for my car so I can go to the dealer to pick up a new one..........
Old 05-30-07, 11:49 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
There’s a bit of a flaw in your position. Your insurance company will replace your car with one of similar value (or a cash out which will be much less than a new car). That means you’ll be getting a used car, and if you’ve taken good car of your old car, there’s no guarantee that the replacement vehicle will have had the same care.

I’d much rather have my old car back, and with lo-jack there's a good chance you'll get it back before the thieves have had time to screw it up.
Are you 100% sure if you want your car back ? they might did something very nasty to your car......

If my car is stolen, I dont EVER want it back. As what others said, the IS is NOT a collector's item. You can get a replacement fairly easy (just a matter of time and wait).........
Old 05-30-07, 12:21 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8
so....my conclusion is:

If they want to steal it, let them do it and make sure I dont see it. I'll just let my insurance pays for my car so I can go to the dealer to pick up a new one..........
Do you really think your insurance company is going to give you a brand new car on your old vehicle that may be a few years old without your coming up with the difference? If that was true many of us would be pushing our ‘06’s off a cliff without being seen on our way to the dealer to pick out a new ’07.
Old 05-30-07, 12:23 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Do you really think your insurance company is going to give you a brand new car on your old vehicle that may be a few years old without your coming up with the difference? If that was true many of us would be pushing our ‘06’s off a cliff without being seen on our way to the dealer to pick out a new ’07.
what he said
Old 05-30-07, 01:39 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I think people understand the point your making, however with the chunk of change they will give you for your car then yes.. it is possible for them to buy a new car anyway. No one here expects the insurance company to give them a new car.

If your car is stolen and it is not damaged terribly then you're getting your car back. My brother's car was stolen, it was a Honda Accord, they found it five days later.. and amazingly, besides it being out of gas and gutted for the stereo it was fine. The insurance company did however pay to have maintenance done to the car after it was stolen.

So what you should be hoping is that if someone steals your car they wreck it or sink it or damage it beyond repair, or kill someone in it, or use it as a part of another crime. If they steal it just to drive it like they stole it... if the police find it? Know what.. its your car again. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the car doesn't meet those strange circumstances its your ride still.

So if anyone steals my car I hope they do more than just drive it like they stole it.
Old 05-30-07, 02:58 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

IS Mine,

Perhaps you’re on to something. With lo-jack you’re apt to get the car back quickly, within hours, before any damage can be done to it. This could be the reason why some here wouldn’t want lo-jack. They’d rather have it trashed so it can be replaced. Putting the cost to the owner to replace it with a new one aside, I can see the logic.

I have a friend whose car was stolen that was found the next day. It had been joy-driven by a bunch of punks who urinated in it. The car was not damaged, but she certainly didn’t want it back due to the stink. The insurance company tried their best through detailing, but the smell was always there (ala that Seinfeld episode) so she traded it in on a new one. She would have been better off had it never been found.
Old 05-30-07, 06:38 PM
neil0311
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by SkydotCom
lower insurance
Depends what state you're in. Here it matters what town you live in and your driving record, in addition to the car itself.

Lojack costs around $500, and with it you get a 35% discount off comprehensive. Depending on how many points you have, the savings in insurance over a few years might offset what you'll pay for the Lojack.

That being said, I didn't get it and just took the 20% insurance discount for the factory anti-theft system.
Old 05-30-07, 08:45 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Originally Posted by neil0311
Lojack costs around $500, and with it you get a 35% discount off comprehensive. Depending on how many points you have, the savings in insurance over a few years might offset what you'll pay for the Lojack.
my only thing on that is i dont keep a car more than 2-3 yrs so i would never see the difference from my insurance to the cost of the lo-jack system. Again as alot of people are showing we dont want the car after its stolen
Old 05-30-07, 08:50 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Perhaps you’re on to something. With lo-jack you’re apt to get the car back quickly, within hours, before any damage can be done to it. This could be the reason why some here wouldn’t want lo-jack. They’d rather have it trashed so it can be replaced. Putting the cost to the owner to replace it with a new one aside, I can see the logic.
How do you know that the thief will not cause damage to your car? They obviously won't be careful with it.

With the insurance money you WILL be able to get the exact same car. When one goes through this process they can state that their car was in pristine condition so they would be able to get more money. IMO this is better than getting a car back which was pissed in or where someone was raped.

I wonder what the statistic is on how many people purchase LoJack and how many people have their car stolen with LoJack. I am sure it is a small percent. LoJack banks on your insecurities and the large chance that your car will not get stolen. This product is analagous to an "extended warranty." Usually they are not needed and is another way for the dealer to make more money off you.
Old 05-05-08, 10:21 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have heard that not all police dept's have the necessary equipment to track Lojack equiped cars. Is that true?
Old 09-29-08, 10:17 PM
scruffydog
Rookie

Smile

if you guys really are gonna get something like lo-jack, i suggest Karr Track, it's pretty much the same thing but I think it has more features. You can set a speed trap, vacinity range, and you can unlock/lock the car, and you can even shut your engine off from your mobile phone, not to mention you can track your car whenever via gps.

but then again, i got it and i rarely use it...so it's really just a piece of mind.
Old 09-29-08, 10:49 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

why would anyone wanna steal a 2IS? steal the motor and boost it?
Old 10-04-08, 12:10 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not stealing an IS
Too hard for most car thieves and the market is not demanding spare IS parts. IS not a common Corolla This a very good thing

Quick Reply: Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?