IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Lo-Jack.... Good idea or fuggetabout it?
Yes
53.66%
No
46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 05:28 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?

With the push button start and the "keyless" entry, what is the general thought on Lo-Jack for these cars?

My uneducated guess is that all it would take is a bluetooth or some sort of "signal generator" to open and start the car.....I know they can do it with garage doors nowa days....

Does the 2IS community think Lo-Jacks are a good idea, or just say screw it and let them have the car.....It's insured.
Old 05-27-07, 06:31 AM
SkydotCom
Rookie

lower insurance
Old 05-27-07, 06:46 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SkydotCom
lower insurance

Didn't lower mine......

I have AMEX from Costco.com and they did not give a discount for lo Jack.
Old 05-27-07, 08:27 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

IMO, I don't want my car back if its stolen. It will probably be beaten to **** inside and out. Its great car, but its not a 1967 Shelby. I can go to the dealership and pick up the exact car with no problems.

My friends think I am crazy. Anyone have this position or am I nutso?
Old 05-27-07, 09:04 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I got it....it also a plus when reselling the vehicle down the road.
Old 05-27-07, 09:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's affordable to you, it'll help.

Otherwise, if someone wants to steal your car, they'll steal it, Lo-Jack or not.

The IS is not a high-theft car anyways because of it's relatively low production numbers when compared to Civics or Accords.
Old 05-27-07, 09:58 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit74
With the push button start and the "keyless" entry, what is the general thought on Lo-Jack for these cars?

My uneducated guess is that all it would take is a bluetooth or some sort of "signal generator" to open and start the car.....I know they can do it with garage doors nowa days....

Does the 2IS community think Lo-Jacks are a good idea, or just say screw it and let them have the car.....It's insured.
No one has ever opened up a 2IS with a "signal generator" and then subsequently stole the car. Every year for the past 10 years someone keeps saying it going to happen and it hasn't. In the meantime, the thieves keep smashing windows and poppping steering columns.
Old 05-27-07, 10:32 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SkydotCom
lower insurance
That’s correct. I got a nice reduction from USAA which should pay for the lo-jack (it cost us $850) in about three years. We’ll be keeping the car much longer than that, so, besides finding your car before it's chopped up, I believe it’s worth having.
Old 05-27-07, 11:41 AM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
IMO, I don't want my car back if its stolen. It will probably be beaten to **** inside and out. Its great car, but its not a 1967 Shelby. I can go to the dealership and pick up the exact car with no problems.

My friends think I am crazy. Anyone have this position or am I nutso?
Im with u if they want the car they can have it ill get another. And if a thief wants your car they WILL get it. A good theif that is
Old 05-27-07, 12:00 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

I worked one into my deal at cost. Forgot I even had it until I read this post. I vote yes for being a good idea. The value is debatable for sure but for me, I saw the value at the price I got it for.

As for the person who says they can replace it with the exact same car….true…..you can but it will be a pain in the *** and it will cost you. I don’t see the value in that at all. And good luck finding a used 350 just the way yours is.
Old 05-27-07, 12:40 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Maybe I'm dense, but the poll question doesn't fit the answers. Which is a vote for what???

BTW, I'm don't care one way or the other, so if the poll is cleaned up, it needs a third choice...."don't care".
Old 05-27-07, 12:53 PM
geoffers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
No one has ever opened up a 2IS with a "signal generator" and then subsequently stole the car. Every year for the past 10 years someone keeps saying it going to happen and it hasn't. In the meantime, the thieves keep smashing windows and poppping steering columns.
Unfortunately they have if this is true :

HERE
Old 05-27-07, 03:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geoffers
Unfortunately they have if this is true :

HERE
Oh crap! Ok well I need to change my statement if it's indeed true (but I can't read Russian). Except for the in the Russian Federation, nowhere else in the world has there been any.... lol
Old 05-27-07, 05:38 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan
That’s correct. I got a nice reduction from USAA which should pay for the lo-jack (it cost us $850) in about three years. We’ll be keeping the car much longer than that, so, besides finding your car before it's chopped up, I believe it’s worth having.
If a thief wants a car bad enough, they are going to take it no matter what kind of security device is on it. Lojack helps get it back faster.

I didn't pay 850 but $540, and I also have USAA. He is correct about it paying for itself. USAA is great. There are insurance companies that offer discounts and others that don’t. Shop around. Before I had USAA, I was insured with Liberty Mutual and they offered a discount for Lojack.

If my car is stolen the chances of the cops getting it back before it’s taken apart is greater than if I didn't have Lojack. I couldn't deal with getting a car back that was stolen, taken apart, but not totaled (could you imagine the rattles and problems). I think once you’ve had your car stolen, you'll always get Lojack.
Old 05-27-07, 06:25 PM
chaos6458
Pole Position

i don't think it's worth it.
like many of cl members said, if someone wants your car, it will be gone whether you have lojack or not.

Quick Reply: Lo-Jack on the 2IS......Thoughts?