IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear view mirror costs $900!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 06:34 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A nice letter to corporate with cc to dealership, as well as attorn gen for your state and local BBB should help convince them that maybe this is not due to a decal. They may just suck up to the fact that you brought it right back to them after it left there shop and chances are they were the cause. $900 is worth getting an attorney involed when you add the principle of this whole bunch of S&^% they are trying to pull.
Old 05-27-07, 07:25 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well now... lets say i was a lawyer for the dealership, 'we do not know how much force was applied to the mirror when the sticker was applied...blah blah blah', gotta remember they are the stealership.

I too looked at the EVO but i found it very uncomfortable but then again I'm old already :P
Old 05-27-07, 08:32 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
You don't understand. There is no glue holding the main mirror assembly to the windshield. The only part glued is a small flat metal piece with sliders that the assembly goes slides onto. Not a cause from the new windshield. The flat metal piece is still firmly attached.
Its the same process GM uses to adhere the mirror mount to the glass......

The reason why im looking at the Evo is that where i live every single highschool girl seems to be driving an IS, it seems to turned into a chick car for some reason, even though im certain im the only one with a lowered one with rims (atleast the right fittment) in fresno.
The set ups i have seen, Some ICWs, some cheap chrome FWD offsets and a car with 20" bling blings.

all horrible looking, time to move on i think.
Old 05-27-07, 09:08 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dominant1
I just couldn't justify 38k for a car that gives you pure performance and not much else....
NOW if i was 16 again... oh HELL YEAH!!! I'd be able to sit in the seats for hours on end BUT i wouldnt able to afford it... Now i'm older and CAN afford it but no, too many aches n pains...

BTW, this is a rearview mirror thread not a 'why i didnt buy an evo' thread
Old 05-27-07, 09:16 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Damn thats shenanigans of the highest degree. Blaming a sticker as a warranty violation is probably one of the most inane things I've ever heard.

Take em out Caymandive!
Old 05-27-07, 09:34 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

So I'm once again back at the dealership today to complain that my rubber seals around the bottom of my front doors is loose. They tell me they have to order new seals and to come back on Tuesday. Well as i'm driving home I noticed my rear view mirror was vibrating more than usual and felt loose. I get home and I go to adjust the screw at the bottom of the mirror mount and the damn thing just pops off the windshield before I even make an adjustment! I go immediately back to the dealership and the tech takes a look and says that I need a new mirror and the cost is $900! I said "isn't this covered under warranty? He said "no because I voided the warranty." He said I voided the mirror warranty by sticking a 1oz RFID sticker on the back side of it so I can get in my complex front gates. I assumed he was kidding, but he wasn't. The shop foreman declined to replace the mirror and said it couldn't be reattached. I'm stuck driving a loaner now, because of obvious safety issues with not having my rear view mirror. This is complete BS!! I'll be calling corporate Tuesday for sure about this one. I'm really on the verge of selling this Lexus and get the EVO X when it arrives. When I had my EVO VIII I never had these kind of issues.

Oh I forgot to mention I had my car in for the mirror vibrating about a year ago and they couldn't fix the problem. I since had a new windshield installed after a rock chip 2 or 3 months ago and the mirror actually got better. Trip to service today and all of a sudden this happens. Coincidence!? I think NOT, but the service rep said it was. SOB's!

Thanks for listening to me gripe, but i'm really ticked at this service departments foreman.

Sorry...............I want to believe you but I just don't buy your story. Own up now. You tried to tighten the screw and put to much pressure on the mount and it came off. Take some responsibility here.
Old 05-27-07, 11:33 PM
minger1179
Driver School Candidate

I dislike Pohanka and their treatment of their clients, service and sales. I guess cuz I am young, and real young looking. Lindsay took care of me. I like my service advisor there.
Old 05-28-07, 01:14 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homer4598
Shady dealership? Hmmmm. I've had nothing but a great experience with them so far. Good deal, no hassle, etc. We'll see what happens when I go in for the 5000 mile maintenance in a few weeks.
Originally Posted by minger1179
I dislike Pohanka and their treatment of their clients, service and sales. I guess cuz I am young, and real young looking. Lindsay took care of me. I like my service advisor there.
I would go see Homer (I think he works there) or see mingers service advisor. Either way I woud rather slam a certain part of my anatomy in a door before I pay $900 for a freaking R/V Mirror. That's just me.
Old 05-28-07, 07:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Sorry...............I want to believe you but I just don't buy your story. Own up now. You tried to tighten the screw and put to much pressure on the mount and it came off. Take some responsibility here.
Look if it was that simple I would have just put the mirror back on myself, but they obviously did something while they had the car in the shop and they should be the ones to fix it. Like I said earlier, the mirror was loose and not quite right on my way home (was fine when I took it there) and when I went to adjust the screw it fell off the windshield before I even made an adjustment. For those of you that know me, i'm not one to make crap up. to you

Last edited by caymandive; 05-28-07 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-28-07, 08:55 AM
PGSberg
Driver School Candidate

Default TSB for vibrating mirror

I thought I read on a post either at this site or another site that there is a tech bulletin on vibrating mirrors. Not sure whether it was ther rear view or side view mirrors. You may want to check it out.
I tried to deal with Pohanka when I was looking at the IS initially. I didn't have a warm feeling about the sales rep or the service department. Employees were complaining about work schedules. I also saw several irrate customers trying to get issues resolved. The service reps appeared aggitated. I drove out to Annapolis Lexus and was treated great from the time I walked into the dealership through my first service. The lady that sold my car even drove 70 miles to pick up an extra set of wheels/tires that went with my trade-in.
Old 05-28-07, 12:22 PM
1022it
Pole Position

maybe find out the torque specs of the mirror. then go to the dealership and ask to have the techs involved with any service on your car come in for a minute. ask each and every one if they knew the torque spec of the screw on the mirror. at my work (building space gyros) we have torque specs for EVERY fastener from inch-ounces to foot-pounds. if there is no torque spec designated then there is even more room for dealership responsibility.

if you never touched the screw on the mirror, than someone else did. and they overtighened it.

another place to look for answers is the window replacement companies that have replaced your 2 windows.
Old 05-28-07, 12:23 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Couple things you can do...

In japan alotta street racers pull their rearview mirrors, the reasoning, racers never need to look at where they've been... thats kinda hardcore crazy stupid but hey its TESTOSTERONE BABY!!!

Go old skool, put on a 5*wink*mirror. (that long mirror that goes across the top)
Old 05-28-07, 04:59 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Look if it was that simple I would have just put the mirror back on myself, but they obviously did something while they had the car in the shop and they should be the ones to fix it. Like I said earlier, the mirror was loose and not quite right on my way home (was fine when I took it there) and when I went to adjust the screw it fell off the windshield before I even made an adjustment. For those of you that know me, i'm not one to make crap up. to you
OK!

The only problem I've had with my car (almost nine months now) was the very first night I drove the car at night and the dimming feature would not work. I took the car in and they said "any mirror problem is so rare they don't even stock a replacement on site) Anyhow, I was given a loaner (IS350) and drove it for over a week until they received stock of a new mirror. The new mirror works as designed and, as I've said: The only problem up to now. Me soooooo hoppy...
Old 05-28-07, 05:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
OK!

The only problem I've had with my car (almost nine months now) was the very first night I drove the car at night and the dimming feature would not work. I took the car in and they said "any mirror problem is so rare they don't even stock a replacement on site) Anyhow, I was given a loaner (IS350) and drove it for over a week until they received stock of a new mirror. The new mirror works as designed and, as I've said: The only problem up to now. Me soooooo hoppy...
Lucky you. So far I've had my car in the shop for the following over my 18 months of ownership.
-about 3 times for dash noises
- drivers side seat sqeak
-TSIB for the front brakes
-seat belt recall
-weather stripping around the front doors coming loose on the frame side not the actual doors
- The A pillar cover coming loose that covers the curtain airbags
-the rear view mirror issue that i've had for a long time and now it's finally come off completely. If they look in the service records they will see that I've had the car in for a vibration issue shortly after I purchased.

I sure hope this is it with the issues.
Old 05-28-07, 06:14 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Lucky you. So far I've had my car in the shop for the following over my 18 months of ownership.
-about 3 times for dash noises
- drivers side seat sqeak
-TSIB for the front brakes
-seat belt recall
-weather stripping around the front doors coming loose on the frame side not the actual doors
- The A pillar cover coming loose that covers the curtain airbags
-the rear view mirror issue that i've had for a long time and now it's finally come off completely. If they look in the service records they will see that I've had the car in for a vibration issue shortly after I purchased.

I sure hope this is it with the issues.
My experience is equivalent to Caymandive's - my IS350 has been in the shop for:

- front pillar and back area noises and creaking
- IS350 front brake TSIB
- outside window trim issues

Now my steering wheel leather is becoming cracked at the bottom, I know its partially friction related from getting in and out (and no I do not have the automatic steering wheel) but I've owned a number of cars with leather wrapped steering wheels for years and I've never had this issue with them. Basically a lot of finishing issues and marginal materials so back to Lexus it goes.

Like I said before, give em heck Caymandive.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror costs $900!!!