IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear view mirror costs $900!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 06:21 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

coasterG and Caymandive you should compare your build dates.

I have an 2007 and have been in the shop for:

- tsb brake
- rattle in passenger door when music has low bass
Old 05-28-07, 06:25 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those issues are pretty common 2006 (and it looks like 2007) ailments.

Creaks, noises and rattles are pretty common reports on the forum - of course we all know people report their ills much more than being issue free. I think it does relate to Toyota's quality control issues they've been having over the past 2-3 years - a victim of their own sales growth.

I consider myself lucky though, my issues are fit and finish related and can usually be easily fixed.

Still love my IS350 though, just finished giving it a bath - nasty lovebugs are still in season down here.
Old 05-28-07, 07:14 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Of all the loaner cars I have driven while mine is in the shop, none of them seemed to have any rattles. I don't know what the deal is with all the 2IS's. I'll let you guys know tomorrow what comes of this when I call corporate tomorrow. I still love my car too, but man these quality issues are really bothersome.
Old 05-29-07, 12:35 PM
teracon
Driver

Default Take it to Lindsay

Had nothing but good service from Lindsay..

ask for Tammy, Chris or James Wood.
Old 05-29-07, 12:45 PM
gtg941f
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by homer4598
Shady dealership? Hmmmm. I've had nothing but a great experience with them so far. Good deal, no hassle, etc. We'll see what happens when I go in for the 5000 mile maintenance in a few weeks.
One can never speak of a service department until something goes wrong. It's how they handle it then that they can be judged.
Old 05-29-07, 12:51 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gtg941f
One can never speak of a service department until something goes wrong. It's how they handle it then that they can be judged.
Overall I am very pleased with the dealership, but the service department has some issues. I really hate calling corporate and complaining. I feel like I'm calling up a kids' parent.
Old 05-29-07, 01:07 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

that really sucks man. look take the car up there without the mirror on then for some other problem. when they give you another is350 switch your mirror with the one in the loaner......... don't get mad get even. muuuu ha haha ha!
Old 05-29-07, 03:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you take a picture of the broken mirror? I don't understand what broke, or why it can't just be put back on. Regarding the sticker, is the sticker heavier than a handicapped parking tag that would hang from the mirror? Those are issued by DOT's, so I would expect the mirror to be designed for at least some extra weight. I would also expect that the owner's manual would have to warn against hanging things from the mirror (fuzzy dice, etc.) as something that would void the warranty. OEMs can't just randomly say this or that voids the warranty. If that were the case, they could void the warranty for just about everything we do (ie tinted windows causing electric window motors to fail).

BTW, it sounds like you either have a lemon, or you are overly picky about your car. I've never had a car that didn't have at least some squeaks or rattles. I also believe that your dealership is just trying to extract a little extra money from you. Warranty repairs aren't nearly as profitable as non-warranty repairs.
Old 05-29-07, 05:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

call corporate! $900 is crazy!
Old 05-29-07, 05:36 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8
call corporate! $900 is crazy!
1-800-***-RAPE
Old 05-29-07, 05:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gernby
Can you take a picture of the broken mirror? I don't understand what broke, or why it can't just be put back on. Regarding the sticker, is the sticker heavier than a handicapped parking tag that would hang from the mirror? Those are issued by DOT's, so I would expect the mirror to be designed for at least some extra weight. I would also expect that the owner's manual would have to warn against hanging things from the mirror (fuzzy dice, etc.) as something that would void the warranty. OEMs can't just randomly say this or that voids the warranty. If that were the case, they could void the warranty for just about everything we do (ie tinted windows causing electric window motors to fail).

BTW, it sounds like you either have a lemon, or you are overly picky about your car. I've never had a car that didn't have at least some squeaks or rattles. I also believe that your dealership is just trying to extract a little extra money from you. Warranty repairs aren't nearly as profitable as non-warranty repairs.
Greg, I am definitely over picky about my car and the slightest thing that annoys me, I will have the car in for service. I paid full sticker price for the car (44k) so I'm not letting stuff slide and I especially wont' let them take advantage of me.

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the mirror dangling and I can't get a picture of it now that its "fixed". So get this. When I brought the car back to the dealer immediately after the mirror came off, they told me the mirror warranty was void because of the sticker/RFID tag, which might be a smidgen heavier than a Handicap tag, but obviously less weight than any hanging air freshner etc. Today I call the dealership back and they tell me it's not because of the sticker, but because I have an after market windshield. At this point I'm really starting to steam as I've now been given two excuses. I said to them the windshield has nothing to do with the mirror assembly that came off. The only thing the windshield does is hold a flat metal piece that he mirror assembly slides onto and it's still there doing it's job. Once the mirror slides on the flat piece, an adjustment screw is tightened. The car mirror was perfectly fine when I brought it to them and "coincidently" after leaving the thing was loose as a goose. I am relatively sure I could have probably loosened the screw myself and reattached the mirror, but morally I believed that since I didn't mess it up they should fix it. Oh and how dare the guy tell me it's broken and that I will NEED to shell out $900 for a new one, when it obviously wasn't "broke".

How is this for service. When I get a call later this evening that the car is fixed, I go pick it up and the service rep that I originally dealt with this wekend totally ignores me..even as he stood directly next to me at the counter. How is that for Lexus service. I can't wait to get a call back from corporate. I'm going to let them know just what a schmuck they have working in the service dept. When I first arrived to pick up the car the service rep was behind the counter literally "chillen" back in his chair on his cell phone. Very unprofessional! I don't want to bash all of the service dept, but there are a "few" there that could use some customer service training.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-29-07 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 05:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Please keep in mind that Lexus doesn't own the dealership, so they don't choose ANYONE that works there or pay their salaries. AFAIK, the only thing that Lexus can do is put sanctions on the dealer for doing a poor job. I imagine the service reps are incouraged to find reasons to deny warranties, but the dealers are certainly contractually obligated to obey Lexus if their denials are overriden.

BTW, I leased my car at full sticker just 13 months ago, so I may have gotten an even worse deal (to the dealer's benefit). My car hasn't been back to a dealer since (18K miles).
Old 05-29-07, 06:04 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gernby
Please keep in mind that Lexus doesn't own the dealership, so they don't choose ANYONE that works there or pay their salaries. AFAIK, the only thing that Lexus can do is put sanctions on the dealer for doing a poor job. I imagine the service reps are incouraged to find reasons to deny warranties, but the dealers are certainly contractually obligated to obey Lexus if their denials are overriden.

BTW, I leased my car at full sticker just 13 months ago, so I may have gotten an even worse deal (to the dealer's benefit). My car hasn't been back to a dealer since (18K miles).

Yeah I do have to remind myself that the dealership employees are not paid or picked by corporate, but it sure does feel good telling corporate about the issues and getting it off my back.

BTW...How long is your lease? Are you going to buy it out?
Old 05-29-07, 08:10 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Greg, I am definitely over picky about my car and the slightest thing that annoys me, I will have the car in for service. I paid full sticker price for the car (44k) so I'm not letting stuff slide and I especially wont' let them take advantage of me.

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the mirror dangling and I can't get a picture of it now that its "fixed". So get this. When I brought the car back to the dealer immediately after the mirror came off, they told me the mirror warranty was void because of the sticker/RFID tag, which might be a smidgen heavier than a Handicap tag, but obviously less weight than any hanging air freshner etc. Today I call the dealership back and they tell me it's not because of the sticker, but because I have an after market windshield. At this point I'm really starting to steam as I've now been given two excuses. I said to them the windshield has nothing to do with the mirror assembly that came off. The only thing the windshield does is hold a flat metal piece that he mirror assembly slides onto and it's still there doing it's job. Once the mirror slides on the flat piece, an adjustment screw is tightened. The car mirror was perfectly fine when I brought it to them and "coincidently" after leaving the thing was loose as a goose. I am relatively sure I could have probably loosened the screw myself and reattached the mirror, but morally I believed that since I didn't mess it up they should fix it. Oh and how dare the guy tell me it's broken and that I will NEED to shell out $900 for a new one, when it obviously wasn't "broke".

How is this for service. When I get a call later this evening that the car is fixed, I go pick it up and the service rep that I originally dealt with this wekend totally ignores me..even as he stood directly next to me at the counter. How is that for Lexus service. I can't wait to get a call back from corporate. I'm going to let them know just what a schmuck they have working in the service dept. When I first arrived to pick up the car the service rep was behind the counter literally "chillen" back in his chair on his cell phone. Very unprofessional! I don't want to bash all of the service dept, but there are a "few" there that could use some customer service training.
enough with the "quotes". "fixed", "coincidently", "broke", "chillen", "few"... WTF.
Old 05-29-07, 08:14 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TimboIS
enough with the "quotes". "fixed", "coincidently", "broke", "chillen", "few"... WTF.
It's my thread and I'll put quotes where I feel like it. They are there for a reason to emphasize. I guess I could bold, but too lazy.

Kapeesh!?

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror costs $900!!!